NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Somebody help this guy find a Mastercraft

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Somebody help this guy find a Mastercraft
    Posted: January-29-2020 at 4:19pm
"This guy" wouldn't be me, but his initials might be TRB

He's been looking on the M/C website for a few weeks now with no luck.

Wants a cheap 83 1/2 or later S&S or Pro Star so he won't have to screw around with stringers.

I bet somebody on here knows somebody with an unadvertised project so C'mon find him that boat.

Here's one of his threads in the link

link
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2020 at 5:15pm
Oh geez cats out of the bag.

Disclaimer: not looking for myself! I am planning to build our small show ski team a lightweight tractor with a big block. I’ll be the one wrenching on it but I’ll likely spend more time behind it than in the drivers seat. I don’t mind the powertrain stuff but I’m not doing anything structural this go around. Older MC’s ski well enough and will be easier to find on our budget than a 93+ SN.

In terms of what I’m looking for, a 84-85 Stars and Stripes would be right in my wheelhouse, ideally with a Powerslot. Willing to consider any 83.5+ boat but it has to be cheap. I don’t care much about the cosmetics, and plan to swap a big block in so the powertrain need not be functional (though the 1-1/8” hardware that comes with the slot would be most desirable). If you see anything that fits this description, drop me a line. Willing to travel!

TRBenj@gmail.com

Thanks!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2020 at 5:24pm
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 10:04am
What's the budget for the purchase?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 10:13am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

it has to be cheap.

I’m considering everything from a shell to a functional boat so the range is relatively wide and the above guidance is probably sufficient... but let’s call it $4k on the nice end- but I’d rather spend under $3k with a good engine and $1k or less for a total basketcase. Anything in between considered.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 10:17am
This looks to have good bones...

https://boats-from-usa.com/mastercraft/mastercraft-powerslot-39198

Oh geeze, old ad.

but something like this?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 10:42am
Redeux

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

This looks to have good bones...

http://boats-from-usa.com/mastercraft/mastercraft-powerslot-39198

Oh geeze, old ad.

but something like this?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 10:52am
Lol you got me excited there for a minute Tom... then I saw the question from 2016.

But yeah something like that would be perfect.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 11:41am
There were couple Stars and Stripes on berryessa in 80’s
They were cool looking
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 12:22pm
Yeah i thought i hit bingo for you till i saw that too!

One day maybe 20 years ago our 'gang' was studying a used S&S MC PS with the BB that came by or was being demoed for the weekend by someone. We were studying the engine, and it also appeared to be an HO large port engine, with same list carb. Quite the odd egg. Pulled strong as expected but didn't match the top speed of the 2001's, hull likely.

River Rat to Mole
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 12:30pm
Since this is the “other boats” thread
I also thought the ski Sanger sloped bow nose was nice looking too when it came around to pickup skiers
I’m guessing visibility of folks in water
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Since this is the “other boats” thread

It’s not
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Yeah i thought i hit bingo for you till i saw that too!

One day maybe 20 years ago our 'gang' was studying a used S&S MC PS with the BB that came by or was being demoed for the weekend by someone. We were studying the engine, and it also appeared to be an HO large port engine, with same list carb. Quite the odd egg. Pulled strong as expected but didn't match the top speed of the 2001's, hull likely.

Yep, have seen a few “super slots” (online, not in person) with either the HO 454 (188 heads on the late 80’s flavors) or 440 mated to the 1.5:1 (presumably a 72c rather than the typical 71c that came on the small blocks). Reported top speeds do seem pretty lethargic (50ish) which made question whether they were true HO’s but suspect you’re right about the hull since I’ve since seen some confirmed rectangle castings.

I envision a large oval not dissimilar to my current backup engine (400ish) or mayve add a roller for 450ish would pull great- especially in a lightweight hull with the reduction and a 13.5x17.5 acme. Just what the doctor ordered.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 2:18pm
Nice plan!

River Rat to Mole
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 2:54pm
A bigger surprise/disappointment/shock/ question than Tim being on TeamTalk looking for an old S&S is the fact that he has over 1,200 posts over there. Now, admittedly, its not over 20,000 posts and it has been almost 15 years, but still......
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 2:56pm
heh, I suspect we don't think we want to start skeleton in the closet measuring contest here

River Rat to Mole
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 6:19pm
He's been known to frequent themalibucrew. One of these might be a good option.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 6:44pm
Oh god no. We have standards.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 6:57pm
This one is over budget and short on details, but if the "larger engine" in the description means big block and the price has some January flexibility....could be a good deal. It's also in your neighborhood

.https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/595885440972647/
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

He's been known to frequent themalibucrew. One of these might be a good option.

Knock off Sanger?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

This one is over budget and short on details, but if the "larger engine" in the description means big block and the price has some January flexibility....could be a good deal. It's also in your neighborhood

.https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/595885440972647/

Doubt there’s much flexibility based on what he paid for it and it doesn’t have a special engine... just the 240hp 351w. I sold that boat last summer.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 8:07pm
Sometimes you sell something and then a couple or three years later you're looking for something just like it

Had wooden stringers though.

Link below

link
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 9:03pm
Oh no that is not what I am looking for.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 9:03pm
I had the Malibu similar to the picture above. I agree with Tim, No.
It had a fantastic ski wake, good top speed but it did not know how to turn properly.

If you don't understand this take one for a drive. They turn differently based on how many people are in the boat. Fully loaded it did not want to turn at all it would rock up on the chines.   Again great ski wake, not a well built boat. I had it 20 years but missed my Nautique from day 1 till I finally went back and bought the 95.
Also had wood stringers. Good looking boats but cheaply made at least up to 87 the year of mine.   Maybe they got better later.

Only complaint I hear on the old Mastercraft is they ride terrible on any rough water.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 9:11pm
Agree with the points on Malibu except the ski wake is sht.

MC rides like death on 3”+ chop. Second to only Supreme in the back breaking category. For the purpose I’m seeking, that’s just fine.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 4:53am
The 87 Malibu I had had a great ski wake, way smaller than my 78 Nautique and a little smaller maybe softer than my 95 Nautique but I have to qualify, with my 78 I always skied at 36 MPH, with the Malibu I started at 36 but years later slowed to 33 MPH. On the 95 I only ski at 33 MPH, no longer use a course at all and enjoy the slower speed now and 32 off is in the rear view window now, 15 off is my standard length. So maybe not a fair comparison.
Skiing hard behind the 78 Nautique taught you how to properly cross a wake, If you were not on edge and pulling it would launch you, even when on edge and pulling hard it was two hard bumps with each pull crossing the wakes unless you went to shorter rope lengths.
The vintage 78 Mastercraft had smaller wakes, not sure if they were better at deep short line but at 15 off it was better.
We spent most of our ski time on rivers and lakes and 15 off was our standard length.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 6:57am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Oh geez cats out of the bag.

Disclaimer: not looking for myself! I am planning to build our small show ski team a lightweight tractor with a big block. I’ll be the one wrenching on it but I’ll likely spend more time behind it than in the drivers seat.Thanks!

Yeah, Yeah Sure Sure!!!! It's for our show ski team. Nice cover Timmy. Blame it on the "Ski Team" It only takes one and then he'll be a MC Guru/ Grand Poohbah over on Team Talk. He's already a member. Before you know it, he'll be selling off his CC fleet and buying MC barefoot boats with Outboards then he'll be adding a Prostar and then going big for the "Ski Club" and going with a X-Star.

Timmy, I'll save you the trouble and headaches and take the Inca Gold Skier off your hands RIGHT NOW! I'll even drive to CT to pick it up myself come spring. We're seeing more and more pictures of you in Sangers, Malibus and Mastercrafts so we know where your allegiance is heading. You're turning into another CCFan I know who has more Supras then CC's and shows up to CCFan functions dragging his beloved Supra then his CC. I'll give you a shout this weekend to discuss a price and pick up date on the skier.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 9:57am
A nice Malibu Skier is in the target price range and is a great low dollar ski boat. The one in the photo was our family boat for 11 years. Still in the family after 28 years and has had very little work done to it other than routine maintenance. First boat I could cut through the wake without fear. The SN 2001 wake still terrifies me. Steering can be sketchy, especially if you let the rudder/tiller connection get out of sorts.

Hollywood, the Sanger fans like to think so. I figured you'd be impressed with its Bimini.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 10:35am
Hard pass on any pre-echelon Malibu, the wake and build quality are amongst the worst I’ve seen. Our friends had a ‘88 Skier, what a heap.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 10:50am
A friend of mine has what I think is a 96 Malibu Tantrum. The wake is great for barefooting and it gets used like a tractor. Pulled up three fatties deepwater (one bacerds) last summer. It gets the job done and does it well. but I still let all my allegiance lie in the CC family.

Tim- becasue I love to look for used boats, I am on the prowl. I am almost sure you have never been to Nebraska and this would be a great excuse!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic