NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder Replacement
    Posted: February-12-2020 at 11:15am
I am toying with the idea of replacing the much disparaged stainless rudder on my 176 with the much ballyhooed 11A rudder. Despite what many have said, I dont think this is a huge priority because I think the boat handles just fine with the stainless one. But, I've got an 11A sitting around so am considering giving it a go.

My question is, how much effort would you project it would be to get the old port out? Is it 5200/superglued into place and will take forever to pry on it and bang on it to get it out?

If its going to be a crazy amount of work (with the chance of doing damage to something) I doubt I will mess with it.

Thoughts from those that have taken out 90s era rudder ports? ....tho I am not sure why anyone but a 176 owner would do that.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2020 at 11:27am
Cc seems to have used sealant rather than adhesive on such fittings so I wouldn’t expect it to fight you too much. Even if it does take some tapping from the top, youll already need full access to do the swap... Might as well jump right in.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2020 at 2:15pm
Since you have no complaints why not sell the rudder and put that money into some equipment?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2020 at 3:13pm
What is the negative, if you hit something the stainless is strong enough to break your fiberglass support???

If you have not removed 5200 before it can be done without too much trouble.
I popped my strut off using some wooden door shims. Bought a pack at the lumber store for about $3 comes with about a dozen shims.   Tap one of the wood shims in between the rudder port and your hull. As soon as one starts put another in next to it then tap back and forth between them. The wedge pops the part off the hull and the wood did not damage my hull at all.
I have also heard you can use a wire and cut through it. They sell wires and handles for taking out glued windshields so that might work as well.
I cleaned off the extra material off my hull using a Gasket Scraper, I sharpen mine with a wet stone and it took off the 5200 without any hull damage. Of course you have to use restraint so you don't dig it into your hull but a little care is all that is needed.
roadtrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadtrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2020 at 11:30pm
5200 will soften and let go if heated to about 140 degrees. Heat gun will easily do the job.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic