Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prop size and boat speed 1977 fish nautiq

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prop size and boat speed 1977 fish nautiq
    Posted: September-24-2006 at 9:59am
I have been running this boat for 2 years now and since gas has dramatically increased in price, i have been looking for ways to cut my 10gph fuel expense. I think that the boat isn't propped out right since it runs wot @27knots. What are other people getting out of their boats?
Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 1:50pm
forgot to mention the boat has a 351 pcm with the 1.23 to 1 tranny
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 2:28pm
What is your tachometer reading at WOT?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 3:21pm
with a clean bottom, i am reading 4700 rpm
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 6:39pm
i dont know what those boats should run out at but at 4700 your proped pretty good in regards to rpm. thats a big cut, what do you think itr should run
Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 6:43pm
people on the forum seem to get close to 40 mph out of the boat which makes me think that i don't have enough prop on the boat....i do have the tower which gives it a bit more weight but i think the boat should still top out at 35 mph....what do you guys think?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 7:30pm
maybe over the years the engine started to get tired and someone repropped this boat. 27 does seem a little on the slow side for the boat. but your wot seems correct at least within 10%.
if you had a fresh engine then your wot would come up and then allow you to re-prop correctly because now you have the power to spin the prop. I would find out what prop truly belongs on the boat then work from there.if you do find the correct prop and put it on and you only can get a wot of lets say 3500 then you know the engine is tired which means poor fuel economy and poor performance
"the things you own will start to own you"
Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 7:35pm
the motor was installed new in late 2001 by the previous owner and has just under 400 hours on it.... it really runs like an animal. Would a 4 blade prop benefit the performance??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 8:15pm
you might even lower your wot even more, i would think your boat would see an easy 35 to 40 mph.is everything your telling us accurate? something is being overlooked.
Do you have the correct prop? was it a new engine if not who rebuilt it? we need some more info such as what did the boat do before the new engine? please explain in more detail anything you can think of even if you could talk to the previous owner. i personally think something is seriously out of wack.
Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 8:45pm
As far as the prop goes, the prop shop said it was correct based on their calculator i think is a 13 x 14 if i am not mistaken. The motor is a pcm 351 installed new in 2001...somewhere around 260hp. I did not own the boat with the previous engine, but the person i bought it from said that this motor has much more power than the last. The boat has an incredible hole shot which leads me to beleive the prop shop was wrong with their calculations and it needs an additional inch or two of pitch. thanks
Michael
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 9:35pm
michael,try and find out what the boat came with when new. then we will go from there. one of these guys on this forum should know what prop goes on this boat, did you also switch transmissions when the engine was changed? in 1977 they did not use the 1.23:1 it should have came with a borg warner 1:1 which would mean your prop speed is reduced
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 10:53pm
Unfortunately, I don't have a fish nautique. But 27 Knots? That's around 32 MPH, right? With a 1.23:1 gear. Plus an eight foot beam plus 500 pounds of fuel plus 3700 pound deep vee hull plus the tuna tower. I think that's about right. The prop sounds right based on the rpm. The people running a fish naughtique at 40 MPH probable have a big block engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 7:43am
jimbo, didnt see the knots, a$$umed mph. also claims 10 gph. the boat looks lite, i always compare to similar boats with cabins and to me it still seems on the slow side
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 10:44am
Buster, I just got my ’89 Fish Nautique this May so I do not have a lot of experience on this boat. But here’s what I got, rebuilt PCM 351, stock other than electronic ignition, 1.23 PCM gear, and I cannot remember the prop size, maybe 14x14, not sure here. WOT 4,100 rpm’s @ 37 mph on the GPS. I generally cruise at about 3,000 rpm’s @ 26-27 mph. I was told by a former CC dealer that this is right on for what the ‘Fish’ did new with that set up. AT 4700 rpm you may be a little under propped, at least for what the ’89 PCM manual states (WOT 4000 to 4400). I really cannot relate to the 10gph doesn’t sound too bad especially considering my Jersey burns about 35gph of oil, I have not got a handle on the fuel usage on the 'Fish'. You got a really good lookin’ boat, I love that color, and the leaning post and with the additional weight and resistance of the tower you may not be that far off. Check the max rpm for that year of the PCM 351. What brand of leaning post did you install, I am considering adding one this winter.
Hope this helps, Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 11:43am
10 gal/hr isn't too bad. Find out what Acme reccommends. Also, have you verified the speed on GSP?
Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 4:15pm
thanks for all the info... i think that i am going to just shop around for a bigger wheel for the boat.
michigan dave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 8:15am
Great looking boat!! I have a 84 FN and have been doing some prop research myself. I have the 1:1 tranny but the rest is the same. I even have the identical tower! minus the upper station. I have the opposite problem you have I only turn 3600 rpms but am going up to the high 30's. I am running a 13x14 4 blade acme. I also have a newer motor and its a good runner. Send me a pm I maybe I can help with the prop search.
red71gs@yahoo.com

Look familiar???

dave.
1984 Fish Nautique
351ci- 14x13 four blade acme
south haven mi.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 9:19am
you guys probably know this but re-propping a boat is science, try calling michigan wheel up in mich and talk to one of their engineers, have all your info ready, hieght,wieght,eyes, you know what i mean.. they have got me out of a jam many times you. try there website
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 8:22pm
I've got an '82 Fish and I turn 4100RPMs at around 31mph WOT. I've got the T-Top on mine. The engine was supposedly rebuilt 350 hours ago and she's definitely missing some RPMs and/or speed on the top end. I a$$umed mine was an engine issue, but is it possible that I have a mispropped boat as well?
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 8:23am
Just for reference, I'm running a 13x12 on a Cuddy with a 1:1 and a 350 OMC. WOT is 4300 RPM at 36 MPH on smooth water. This boat has the same hull as the Fish with a little more weight and a place to hide behind when it is throwing spray
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 2:27pm
One thing I learned in short order was that it does indeed throw some water at you. But I like it...I've never gotten on a boat with the intention of staying dry all day...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic