Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 Risers - How to paint yellow PCM logo

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Canuck-Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 Risers - How to paint yellow PCM logo
    Posted: March-14-2020 at 12:25pm
I doing a restore of a 96 Sport Nautique and the engine is back from the rebuilder. I have the black factory risers with the yellow painted PCM Marine Engines raised logo.

There is some rust so I am going to paint the risers (thinking of using POR15 based on some other posts). How have you guys painted the yellow PCM logo? Just free-hand it with a artists paint brush? What yellow paint should I use?

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2020 at 2:43pm
https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/exhaust-manifold-decal-pcm-r143002a/
The above is for the smooth manifolds, The decals for the embossed manifold like my ‘95 is a little harder to find but you may be able to still find them.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2020 at 3:45pm
I did my risers a bit differently. The "PCM Marine Engines" is raised in the casting, so I simply painted the raised portion. I got a very short nap small roller and gently rolled the accent paint color onto the raised portion. It worked great.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2020 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I did my risers a bit differently. The "PCM Marine Engines" is raised in the casting, so I simply painted the raised portion. I got a very short nap small roller and gently rolled the accent paint color onto the raised portion. It worked great.

JQ

What paint did you use for the yellow?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2020 at 11:08pm
Also, should I go with the expense of POR15 or just use a high heat engine spray enamel for the black?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2020 at 11:42pm
Matt don't over think it, like gun driver says- decals were used on early models. My 95 still has them. If decals survive the heat any good paint will work,probably Rustolem or one shot sign paint would be good.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2020 at 12:53am
I agree...except I spent an hour tonight trying to find decals for my embossed manifolds. No luck. So I’m down to painting them. I agree with you I don’t wanna overthink it but I have absolutely no idea what kind of paint to buy to brush on!

If anybody has any leads on embossed decals let me know.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2020 at 1:44am
I used high temp Rust-Oleum spray paint for the risers and for the "accent" paint on the raised PCM lettering. So far, so good.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 12:33pm
Manifolds done! I think they turned out pretty awesome.

My process in the end:

1. Washed with Por-15 Degreaser and Cleaner
2. Rubbed down with 3M prepaint scour pad (maroon one)
3. Treated with Por-15 Metal Prep
4. Taped up gasket surfaces
5. Brushed on Por-15 gloss black
6. Taped up PCM embossed logo
7. Sprayed with Duplicolor Engine Enamel with Ceramic Yellow
8. Scoured the black on the logo face and sanded yellow paint edge down
9. Used Por-15 with small watercolor artist brush to fill in the black around the logo. Despite sanding the yellow "ridge" it was still there. Took a few coats of Por-15 to level out and cover the ridge from the yellow to black transition.
10. Baked at about 320 F on my gas grill for 30 mins (recommended for Engine Enamel). My grill have 3 burners. I put a sheet of tin foil under manifold so direct heat was not under the manifold. The engine enamel instructions said to bake at 300 F for 30 mins. But my grill with all 3 burners on low sat steady at 320 F and with 2 burners was 250 F. If I turned up either of the 2 burner config, it went over 300 quickly. So I just went with 320 with 3 burners.

Turned out amazing!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 12:41pm
Matt,
Nice job. They look great.

Have you ever painted raised surfaces with a high density foam roller? Next time, give it a try.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Matt,

Have you ever painted raised surfaces with a high density foam roller? Next time, give it a try.

I considered it seriously, but I looked at a bunch of pics of that method and most had a fuzzy edge I didn’t love. Maybe I didn’t see an example of one done well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Matt,

That's what I did, Pete. Works great.

Nice job however. Looks like to took a fair bit of work.

Don't be surprised if you smell burning paint for the first few hours. The paint on the exhaust manifold where it mates up with the heads will get very hot and burn the paint off.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Canuck-Surfer Canuck-Surfer wrote:

I considered it seriously, but I looked at a bunch of pics of that method and most had a fuzzy edge I didn’t love.

Nice looking work. I must say though the fuzzy edge would simulate the pealing edge of the original decals
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2020 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by Canuck-Surfer Canuck-Surfer wrote:

I considered it seriously, but I looked at a bunch of pics of that method and most had a fuzzy edge I didn’t love.

Nice looking work. I must say though the fuzzy edge would simulate the pealing edge of the original decals

Bahahahahahaha! Touche! ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic