NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electric fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric fuel pump
    Posted: March-18-2020 at 7:55pm
Hey guys I'm back been awhile and ready to get my boats going again. I know I've probably asked this before, please refresh my memory.

83 should be back home this weekend from new floor(seems like its been at shop years).

Question is on the 79 .
It has a electric fuel pump that was working . Went to crank and no go. I think I was told to go back to the manual pump but for now just want to get it running.
The pump is mounted right by the engine with a red wire going to distributor and black is ground. When should power show up at fuel pump,
-when key is turned to on or
-when key is turned to start
Thanks again
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2020 at 9:25pm
JT......you're right it has been a while,

It should be wired so that the red wire is getting nominal 12 volt power from the key whenever it's in the ON or START position. Black goes to ground

The supply to your ballast resistor or the coil if you don't have the resistor is a good spot to get the power from.

If you're gonna run the boat with the electric pump, it would be a good idea to have a low oil pressure switch wired in to shut the pump off if you have a fire due to a fuel leak so the pump won't keep feeding the fire if the engine dies and you don't turn the key to OFF. It'll cut power automatically when oil pressure goes away.

With the engine driven pump, when the engine dies, the pump quits pumping but with the electric pump, when the engine dies, the pump keeps running till you turn the key to OFF or automatically if a low oil pressure switch is wired in.as mentioned above

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2020 at 9:09pm
I cleaned up the old manual fuel pump and she is running again. The electric pump was toast...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2020 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

I cleaned up the old manual fuel pump and she is running again. The electric pump was toast...

The electric shouldn't have ever been on the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic