Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Troubleshooting electrical lighting issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Troubleshooting electrical lighting issue
    Posted: March-25-2020 at 11:55pm
I’m looking to get my bow, stern, and gauge lights to work on my 84 SN 2001.

I’ve seen them all work intermittently. Can someone point me in a direction on where to check grounds and connections?

Thanks
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2020 at 12:15am
I would suggest first testing for voltage at the light socket on the bow and the stern lights with the switch on either with a DVOM or test light. If no voltage is present, then do the same at the switch. If still no voltage, there is either a problem with the line side (coming from your battery) or the load side which may indicate a bad switch. Check these with a known good ground like the ground bus bar.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2020 at 1:28pm
Mav

Here's a dash wiring diagram labeled 82-late 83 but it's the same style as your dash with fuses and switches

Orange wire feeding the light switch and Blue wire feeding instrument lights and Gray wire feeding the front and rear lights. All the grounds are black.

If you do the check of the power into and out of the switch like Bfooter mentioned and the switch and fuse are good then you can play follow the wires.

I'd pull the fuse and make sure it's contacts aren't corroded in the fuse holder as part of the troubleshooting too.

link
Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2020 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Mav

Here's a dash wiring diagram labeled 82-late 83 but it's the same style as your dash with fuses and switches

Orange wire feeding the light switch and Blue wire feeding instrument lights and Gray wire feeding the front and rear lights. All the grounds are black.

If you do the check of the power into and out of the switch like Bfooter mentioned and the switch and fuse are good then you can play follow the wires.

I'd pull the fuse and make sure it's contacts aren't corroded in the fuse holder as part of the troubleshooting too.

link

Thanks I’ll break out my meter and check it out this weekend
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic