NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone looking for a 2001?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone looking for a 2001?
    Posted: March-28-2020 at 11:07am
   Happened upon this 2001 at my local Nautique dealership. Looked it over pretty well and spoke to one of the salesmen. It actually belongs to the shop owner who claims he's only the 3rd owner and it's been locally owned and garage kept all it's life. Immaculate, even up close, the dash even looks nearly new!   I checked the floor and it is rock solid as well as having an engine (almost) as clean as mine
   The salesman said the owner came across it not long ago and couldn't pass it up, though he didn't really need another boat. As such, he's 'storing' it at the dealership and says that it would be for sale, of course, at the right price. So, take that for what it's worth
I didn't catch how many hours on the meter but by the looks of the boat I'd guess she wasn't really used very much.   If someone wants an older 2001 that is in great shape and 100% lake ready it may be worth your while to give the folks a call.

Here is their website:
All Elements Auto and Marine

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 11:17am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

I checked the floor and it is rock solid as well as having an engine (almost) as clean as mine

Let's hope it's not nearly as colorful as your engine Joe
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 11:21am
       No, appears to be all very much stock!   I'm sure even Pete would approve
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 11:25am
Good to see you around again Joe
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 11:34am

No, appears to be all very much stock!   I'm sure even Pete would approve

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 11:45am
Just a little something of yours for Mr. original to gaze at   

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 2:10pm
That looks like a very nice boat.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 3:22pm
Wow, that is some serious RED! Painted or powder-coated?
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 8:37pm
Engine block is Ford blue hi-temp enamel. All the other red & black is powder coat.

Mark, yes it is! The pictures really don't quite do it justice. It would sure make a nice addition to someone's collection     Or just a really nice older 2001 for someone that doesn't really want to spend the time or $$ on restoring one.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

WOW that's like a collage or a cross dresser, not sure which.
Blue ,Red, Black, Silver poor thing doesn't know if its a Ford, Chevy, Allis-Calmers or Farm-all.    
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 11:31pm
Well thanks Ken ... now you've got Paul pokin' at me   
That's all right - My Momma always told me it was what was inside that counts   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2020 at 12:06am

Well thanks Ken ... now you've got Paul pokin' at me   
That's all right - My Momma always told me it was what was inside that counts   

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2020 at 1:57pm
It’s actually quite a newer 2001.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2020 at 2:04pm
Joe,
Amazing! I just noticed how you even faced all the green stripes on the hoses outwards.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2020 at 3:19pm
Yes, that is one detailed engine. Very impressive. I like different colored componets to be able to better see the assembled parts, and what makes up an engine. Even the oil pressure sending unit and bracket stands out.    
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2020 at 3:52pm
It's a good thing nobody can see that crooked but original decal on the valve cover

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2020 at 6:39pm
I can overlook that one glaring flaw. It was probably like that from Ford or PCM. That engine still sure looks better than mine. To keep mine original looking, I shot it in the original "goldish-tint-fade-oil-impregnated-grime PCM silver". I can't pick out my intake manifold from the valve covers from the oil pan (well, I have a general idea of where they are).   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2020 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

the original "goldish-tint-fade-oil-impregnated-grime PCM silver".   

Go original!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2020 at 5:59pm
Leave for a few days and see all the excitement I missed?

Yes Pete, I'm glad someone noticed the green stripes - I guess I'm funny that way Funny how a guy goes to the trouble of doing those kind of silly details and the one detail you can't do anything about is the one [some] people take note of.   Well Pete ... at least THAT is original   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2020 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

It’s actually quite a newer 2001.

I was thinking he said it was an '89 ... I'm not sure how to tell the difference on the 2001 models or even their year range
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2020 at 6:13pm

Yes Pete, I'm glad someone noticed the green stripes - I guess I'm funny that way Funny how a guy goes to the trouble of doing those kind of silly details

Oh yes, the details! One of the details some ACBS judges go for is having all the slotted screws on deck hardware run the same fore to aft direction. They do on my Atom and one person who picked up on it was Chris (quinner) the first year I had it at Green Lake. It's sort of a PITA because you need a few extra screws so if the slot doesn't line up, you remove it and try another screw.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2020 at 6:16pm
   I know what you mean Pete.   We've got a contractor that's a stickler for the screws on all the electrical plates running the same way - drives the electricians batty!
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2020 at 6:36pm
Joe

I see another "irregularity " or 2 in those earlier pictures that would probably drive an ACBS judge out of his mind

I figure an ACBS show is right on top of your list of things to do with the boat

And.....Hollywood's comment was his way of saying that an 89 2001 is as new as they get since that was the last year for that hull
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2020 at 7:26pm
Joe,
I hope you understand that I only mentioned the ACBS as a reference to some of the little details we go through like stripes on hoses and slots in screws. I understand you have no intention of having anything to do with the ACBS. Sorry that some seem to enjoy making "fun" of the organization.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2020 at 8:51pm
I'll make fun of them. You take a boat off the production line and enter a show and it gets deducted points because Correct Craft employees didn't line up the screw heads or the hoses?? Lining up screw heads is not very original that's just crazy OCD. Original would be taking pictures of each screw head or hose before removal and returning it to it's original position
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2020 at 10:40am
Gary,
I totally agree with you. There are many "details" that have been misunderstood as being restorations both on boats and I'll say automotive as well. Lots has changed through the years. As one example are engines. , It's no longer preferred to polish all the brass components. The preferred is just like it came from the factory - all paint including hoses. Another that's still under lots of controversy is bright finishes. Many are now not going with the 20 coats of varnish that looks like it's 1/4 inch thick. Unless the boat was a very high end model, 2 or 3 coats of varnish was typical from the factory.

Several years ago, the ACBS created a new category which is "most preserved" It's simply a boat that has been well maintained, retains most of the original components and could be called an "every day user".

BTW, the slotted head screw practice from over 40 years ago. After my Atom got it's last varnish deck refresh, the slots no longer line up fore to aft.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic