Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 Valve Covers - Paint won't come off

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Canuck-Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 Valve Covers - Paint won't come off
    Posted: April-09-2020 at 2:46am
So I'm getting ready to reassemble my GT40 next week...block is back from the rebuilder.

I am fixing up everything that will go onto the block so it all looks new. Por-15 is going on exhaust risers, engine enamel on everything else.

I've decided to paint the valve covers Ford Racing Red. I wanted them to look good so I thought I'd do them right. I planned to strip them to metal, prime with zinc chromate and paint from there to look amazing.

I started on Saturday with the cover with the oil neck. I bought an aerosol can of automotive paint stripper from the local box store. After the entire bottle, 24 hours, and lots of sitting a scrapping and even sanding, the paint wasn't barely scratched.

I've painted cars before, its been 15 years, but I knew I needed proper stripper. So I called the local body shop supply store who is still open for curb-side pickup due to the virus. Ordered a quart of Aircraft Stripper and some cheap brushes. Pulled up and they dropped the box in the bed of the truck. (I really like shopping this new way due to the virus!)

Yesterday I got to work. I put a thick coat of the stripper on painting only one direction and as minimally as possible (per instructions). Can said to wait 10-60 mins. After 15 mins I started to notice some minor paint blistering. Yay. I went away for an hour and came back to find some more blistering but not near as much as I had expected. I took a green scour pad and went to work.

For the paint that blistered, I was able to to remove it to the metal. But only about 20% of the paint removed. At this point I used the green scour pad to really scrub on the paint and to try to at least penetrate the surface. I cleaned it up and re-applied more stripper.

I have now gone through this process 6 times. A few times I have let the stripper sit for hours.

I am 90% there, but I am completely perplexed. I've never seen any paint this hard to remove. There was a minor paint run on one side of the cover, so I am assuming someone else has painted these in the past. There was no yellow or grey primer, so I don't think they were epoxy or zinc chromate painted. I'm regretting I ever started to strip. I am absolutely NOT stripping the other cover.

So here are my questions....
1) Has anyone seen this before. The paint job seems amazing. I'm sad I removed it. I think it was impenetrable.

2) I have attached pics of the current status. There are still areas that have some paint that show no signs of blistering. I'm thinking of sanding these smooth and leaving under the new primer. Am I crazy?

3) Was there a better way to do this? I wanted to ensure a quality bond for the new paint and everyone here in other posts says to strip to ensure you get oil soaked paint off.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2020 at 9:13am
Not sure why you want to paint them red when black looks soooo good.
As for the paint I believe they may be baked on enamel.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2020 at 11:05am
That’s a lot of work for stamped steel valve covers...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2020 at 11:27am
That sure is a nice job Paul hope mine looks as good. Sure is an awful lot of parts on these to clean and paint. Matt what is your temperature up there in the Great White North,could that be the problem? How come your rebuilding? what's it's spec's ie bore size cam spec's etc? I bead blasted mine since they had rust. I usually use remover first since it makes it that much easier to blast but cannot recall Blasting valve covers is tough with the baffling but I pack those seams with modeling clay and tape off the oil cap inlet and vent. Kind of ironic I got these covers from Joe in Kansas- he is the originator of wild engine color combo's

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2020 at 11:58am
There is a chance that the covers were powder coated. If so, you are trying to remove a thermal plastic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2020 at 12:34pm
In my experience if those were coated he got way more off that I ever have. If they were powder coated it was not Fords doing
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2020 at 1:02am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Not sure why you want to paint them red when black looks soooo good.

As for the paint I believe they may be baked on enamel.

Wow Gun...that engine is gorgeous. I agree black looks good but I wanted some contrast. Through the red valve covers would offer some pop. Also, I've got new spark wires that are grey. I like your red wires!

Is the GT40 Pro Boss valve cover logo strip new? Mine is acceptable, but a new one would look amazing. I didn't see it on nautiqueparts. Any lead where to get a new one?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2020 at 1:21am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

That sure is a nice job Paul hope mine looks as good. Sure is an awful lot of parts on these to clean and paint. Matt what is your temperature up there in the Great White North,could that be the problem? How come your rebuilding? what's it's spec's ie bore size cam spec's etc? I bead blasted mine since they had rust. I usually use remover first since it makes it that much easier to blast but cannot recall Blasting valve covers is tough with the baffling but I pack those seams with modeling clay and tape off the oil cap inlet and vent. Kind of ironic I got these covers from Joe in Kansas- he is the originator of wild engine color combo's

Gary...garage is heated to 20 C (70 F) right now. I finally got most of the paint off. Will post pics below.

Regarding the colour, lots of Ford engines have red valve colours! Its not that wild. ;) I mean I could paint them neon green or something....yuck! Hahaha

The engine had about 1800 hours and had not been cranked in 6 years when I got it. We pulled the spark plugs and soaked the pistons with liquid wrench for a week. Then used a breaker bar to rotate the engine. Took some doing but got it moving hoping we could wait a year or two on a rebuild. Used the starter to do a compression test and had pressures all over the place, all low. She was just neglected and worn out I don't have the tolerances, we sent her off the rebuild.

Im excited to get her back to together and running. The rest of the boat is in poor condition but good bones. She's fully synthetic being a 96 Sport, thats the saving grace. The last of the snow melted last week and its slowly warming up. I'll be wet sanding the gelcoat and having all the vinyl replaced. She will clean up nice. Lots of time on my hands with the virus locking us all in. I'm sure I will have a ton of questions as the spring goes on!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2020 at 1:27am
So I stayed up until 3 am last night and got enough of the black paint off to start priming. What's funny is that the other valve cover had some rust along the edges and peeling paint. I think that stripping it would have been easy, but I sanded instead. I uncovered all the rust on it and used my dremel with a polishing bit to grind all the rust off and get it smooth.

Here are some pics:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2020 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Canuck-Surfer Canuck-Surfer wrote:

Is the GT40 Pro Boss valve cover logo strip new? Mine is acceptable, but a new one would look amazing. I didn't see it on nautiqueparts. Any lead where to get a new one?

Those are the original decals, i don’t remember seeing them available anywhere.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2020 at 1:54pm

Those are the original decals, i don’t remember seeing them available anywhere.

Did you take yours off when you repainted? If so, what did you use as adhesive when you reinstalled?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2020 at 1:57pm
I didn’t have to re paint the valve covers just shined them up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 12:28pm
Painting project all done!

Was a lot of work for sure, but I'm glad its done right. All of the black cast has Por15 using the 3 step process. Stamped pieces have Duplicolor High Heat Engine Enamel. Everything has been baked at 300 F for 2 hours on the gas grill outside.

Happiest person is my wife. She was getting testy about the paint fumes.

Word of caution to others...on my second valve cover, I put an additional coat of red about 2 hours before I baked it. Big mistake, paint blistered badly within about 10 mins in heat. Had to strip it and start from scratch. Let the engine enamel cure overnight before baking. Round 2 worked fine.

1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2020 at 5:39am
Here she is all put back together! I dig my red valve covers....

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2020 at 12:25pm
That’s a purdy engine. Can’t go wrong with RED

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2020 at 6:27pm
You should bead blast the intake and clear it, everything else looks so good but the intake. JMO
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2020 at 6:41pm
I blasted mine Paul,I think they have a thin grey or silver on them originally.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2020 at 8:05pm

You should bead blast the intake and clear it, everything else looks so good but the intake. JMO

I totally agree. But the intake was at my buddy shop which was about an hour and a half from my house when I painted everything else. I didn’t have access to it again until we put it all together. Totally should’ve planned that better.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2020 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I blasted mine Paul,I think they have a thin grey or silver on them originally.

Yea I believe they do, I always thought cleared clean aluminum would look good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic