NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro Ski Event, Diablo Shores, CA

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro Ski Event, Diablo Shores, CA
    Posted: September-24-2006 at 10:44pm
Went to the pro ski event at Diablo Shores today. This is about the third year. No admission, right on the shore, great access.

We talked with Andy Mapple, Chris Parish, Kris LaPoint, and many others.

This was a head to head format. 8 pros were in the finals. The current world record holder, Chris Parish didn't make the finals. Andy Mapple, though retired, skied in the pro division and finished 4th dropping at 2 ball on 39 off. In the Semi's Jamie Beuchane (sp?) ran 2 at 41 off, then Will Asher beat him with 3.

I the finals, Asher beat Chris Rossi by a quarter ball with 5 1/2 at 39. Good stuff. It is amazing the strength and timing these guys have. BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 10:53pm
Hey Brian,
What boats were they using?

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 11:02pm
Mastercraft 197s. Although there were a couple of Nautiques on the Shoreline. This is a private lake, only seven residents. One of the owners, Greg Badal is pretty highly ranked in one of the divisions. He hosts the event, and so far, they've used whatever type of boats he uses (Nautiques for a couple of years, and Mastercrafts the last couple of years.)

One interesting thing, this was the first professional tournament to use the new GPS perfect pa$$ systems. No more need for magnets, no need to calculate skier weight, wind speed, etc. BKH
Livin' the Dream

scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 11:05pm
I know what GPS is. Please explain, Perfect Pa$$ systems.
Scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 11:13pm
Perfect pa$$ is cruise control for your boat. There were several other brands, including Accuski, but Perfect Pa$$ is far and away the market leader. It was originally designed to ensure that course skiers all got even pulls, taking the human element of the driver out of the competition. The mechanical versions operate with a servo on the throttle cable. As they became more sophisticated, the computer required that the driver enter boat speed, wind speed, skier weight, etc. Magnets are placed at the beginning and end of the slalom course and magnets in the boat. This is a cross check of time and distance to make sure the PP is calibrated.

There is also a perfect pa$$ wakeboard version which is less complicated. It mereley maintains a consistent speed, as measured by a paddle wheel, or maintains consistent rpms. It really makes for a nice even pull.

With the new throttle by wire in boats, each of the manufacturers have been coming out with their own speed control system. As I understand it, they were beginning to cut into Perfect Pa$$' market.

With this new system, you turn on the device. Hit a button at the beginning of the course, drive to the other end, and hit again, and the GPS/computer calculates where you are, the distance, etc. Once calibrated, you're done for the day. Just enter a speed and go.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 11:35pm
Thank you. I am trying to learn more about the sport, and would like to join in on these type of posts. But at this point it all sounds Greek to me. Plus I have two young boys, that I would love to see standing on the water some day, when they get a little older.
Scott
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 12:07pm
had perfect pa$$ on my 2001 sport was great for when it was just me and the wife. I didn't have to worry about her trying to keep a steady speed for me. As she didn't and still wont drive very much unless their is nobody else to drive for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic