Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbee Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
terryray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbee Question
    Posted: September-25-2006 at 12:08pm
Just Bought a 79 Ski Nautique First Boat I have ever owned with a straight Prop.   I have a squelling noise some times when accelerating from a stop.   V belts are very worn. They are the first thing I am going to replace. for the noice .   My question is can you run the boat and spin the prop dry out of the water. just for a short time to try and diagnose this problem ( I realise it will have no cooling. ) Also do they make a connection that you can hook a water hose up to it for cooling.   Thanks for you help
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 12:20pm
Here's a solution from Overton's. I don't think anyone here would recommend running your engine without water. You can damage the cooling system, let alone overheat your engine.

Fake-A-Lake

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 12:23pm
Here's another one at Barts.com.

Flush
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 12:28pm
By the way, Terry, welcome to Correctrcraftfan.com. Post some pictures of you boat!

Ken
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 12:59pm
Welcome and congradulations. Even with the fake-a-lake or cooling attachment, I don't reccommend putting the boat in gear and winding it up. It's bad for it plus I'm sure you won't have the noise because the boats not under load.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 1:07pm
A few extra thoughts. You don't want to put the boat in gear in the driveway because you can fry your packing and bearings in the shaft log (where the shaft goes through the hull) and in the strut (the bracket that holds the shaft under the boat) You don't want to run your boat dry, not only because of the overheating issue, but you can rip your raw water pump impeller to shreds. The devices mentioned above are good, but you may also find that if you disconnect the water intake at the thru-hull fitting back by the transmission, a garden hose will fit in it just right, just be sure to retighten the hose clamp around it. If your raw water hose is too big, I fashioned a fitting out of some PVC parts that goes from hose fitting to a piece that fits snugly in the hose. Cheaper and easier, if you don't have a marine supplier near you. Oh, and it does just sound like warn belts. Welcome to CCFan.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 1:30pm
One other thought, do not rev the engine while connected as 75 described, the suction may collapse the hose and not allow enough or any water to reach the impeller. One other way to run out of the water, similar to what 75 described but put both the garden hose and your intake hose in a 5 gallon bucket, turn hose on, when bucket is about 3/4 full start the engine, if you rev the engine this way you will see the water level in the bucket drop, once at idle again the water level should remain constant or rise slowly.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 6:23pm
I push my garden hose in the hose leading into the pickup pump and tighten the hose clamp on my 79 Ski Tique. I run the boat this way but only do a little reving. I have never had the hose suck flat but I do blast the garden hose at full pressure. This is a way to run the boat befor you get a chance to buy the right tool.

I'm a Newbie as well, these folks have been very helpful over the last few weeks. Welcome CCF!
Work to live, not live to work.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 7:34pm
screw the fake-a-lake crap and save your money, put a hose into the pick-up hose and be done with it.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 8:25pm
I bought a fake a lake a couple weeks ago. I'm taking it back. It doesn't seem to get a good fit around the indented part of the hull where the water intake is. Also, I don't think the engine is getting enough water, seemed that the exhaust manifolds were getting hotter than they did in the water.

I am going to try getting a clear piece of hose from Home Depot and a trash can. Use the trash can as a resivor for the engine to suck water out. I want to find a way to secure the hose to the can so I don't have to worry about it falling out. I read something similar to this setup on here, sounded like a good idea and a more natural setup than the fake a lake.
A mechanic at a local marina said to be carefull if you put the garden hose into the intake hose, he said if the engine is not running when you turn the water on you could get water in the cylinders. He suggested having someone stand by the faucet and turn it on as soon as the engine fires.

Terry- Welcome, this is a great place you have found, some really good people here. Good luck with your new boat. lets see some pics
hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 9:50pm
...listen to 79' and save your money. He's great for practical advice like that and has helped me a lot. Welcome to the CCF site.
Heath
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 12:17pm
Ohio, How would you get water into the cylinders from the cooling system/ water jacket without somthing being wrong?
Work to live, not live to work.

nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 1:04pm
Yeah just use a hose,that's all we've ever used. The hose may flatten a little bit, but as long as you're not revving the heck out of it it wont be a problem, save your money.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
terryray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 5:04pm
Thanks for all that replied. I could tell just by reading the forums when I found them I would get some good advice if I posted a question. Thanks again for all that replied.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic