NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Surge vs. electric brakes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surge vs. electric brakes
    Posted: April-20-2020 at 9:35pm
Hey folks, now that I'll be trailering regularly, is there any reason to switch my trailer from surge to electric? My trailering experience is limited to putting away in the fall and launching in the spring, as I was on the water. Not the case now, here in CT.... :-(

Thanks,

Ultra
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2020 at 9:43pm
Mark,
You say you already have the surge brakes so why do you what to switch? Do the surge brakes work?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2020 at 10:43pm
Hi Pete, not necessarily considering swapping out. I definitely don't need any more time-consuming projects. I have seen some chatter where elec. is preferred. However, if my current setup is as safe and adequate, I'll leave it as-is. I'm towing with a relatively HD SUV, and didn't really notice it was back there when I brought it home through the hills :-)

Thanks,

Mark
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 9:40am
If you want to check that the trailer brakes are working, just check to see if they are warm after some hard braking. You may want to use a glove 1st in case they are very hot.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 9:55am
If it ain't broke......Don't fix it!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

If it ain't broke......Don't fix it!

True, but I'm betting that it's broke.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 3:09pm
Nothing broke that I know of. But I'll give the brakes the hot-glove check the next time I have it out, and I'll look into servicing this type of system, having not bled or serviced a surge system on a trailer before, just so I know it's GTG for road-tripping.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 3:20pm
I think the electric brakes are way better than surge brakes but you need a proportional controller in the tow vehicle. In the old days it was spliced into the brake system,now days it's probably electronic. The major down side is the above- with out the controller you cannot have brakes so it limits you on changing vehicles
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 3:28pm
From what I have read Gary, and folks I have spoke with, I'd agree. My Armada is pre-wired for the controller, so it's a simple matter of plugging one in. But at this point it makes sense to flush the old fluid, service and see how it tows. Thanks,

Mark
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 6:58pm
My new to me (last year) 2,000 Sport trailer brakes aren't working so they are getting replaced with magnetic electric brakes like my sled trailer.
I hate the hydraulic brake set ups.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 7:05pm
I have no actual fact to offer but my fear would be the water dousing the brakes get when launching would short out the electric brake system?

If properly working, surge brake work very well and you can tow with any vehicle available.
If you go with Electric brakes you will have to have a vehicle with the brake controller.
I have both, the electric does offer some advantages but I have not used one on a boat trailer.   Might be worth checking into the water aspect.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I have no actual fact to offer but my fear would be the water dousing the brakes get when launching would short out the electric brake system?

If properly working, surge brake work very well and you can tow with any vehicle available.
If you go with Electric brakes you will have to have a vehicle with the brake controller.
I have both, the electric does offer some advantages but I have not used one on a boat trailer.   Might be worth checking into the water aspect.

Mark,
The brakes get wet just driving down the road in the rain. The electric coils are encapsulated so there's no problem putting the trailer in the water. I have electrics on one of my trailers and like Paul, love them. With the brake controller you can actuate just the trailer if needed. An example would be if for some reason the trailer states to fishtail on a slippery road you just tap the brake controller and the trailer straightens right out. The other nice thing with the electrics and the controller, you can adjust the braking force. You can't do that with surge brakes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 7:43pm
What Pete said
I like to be able to adjust the brake pressure per road conditions and load and my F-250 has the built in controller.
Trust me the salt, slush, snow, rain water, freeze, thaw we drag those trailers through during the winters a little dunk in clean water won't hurt a thing.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 8:47pm
And there you have it.   Did not know electric brakes were compatible with a boat trailer.
They are easier to install and repair also so a win win I guess.
Sure would help for backing up and on steep downhill grades where the boat brakes heat up with surge systems.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic