NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

exhuast manifolds

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: exhuast manifolds
    Posted: September-25-2006 at 12:29pm
I've been reading many posts, and I keep reading about performance exhaust manifolds. Does anyone know if any are available for the PCM 454 chevy motor.

Redoing the motor this winter allong with the floor.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 12:54pm
These look pretty good. And if you've got muffles, sell'm at the scrape yard.
I'm sure there are others available as well.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 1:53pm
Theres tons of manifolds out there for big block (and small block) Chevies. CMI and Eddie Marine come to mind, but there are several others. I wish there were so many choices for small block Fords!
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 2:25pm
thanks for the tips, I'll check them out. If anyone has anymore ideas I would mind hearing about them so i can check them all out and pick the best set.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 2:42pm
Its also worth checking out Hi-Tek Marine out of Australia. They are the only company that I have found that makes high performance manifolds for Fords. They make stuff for Chevy too.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Its also worth checking out Hi-Tek Marine out of Australia. They are the only company that I have found that makes high performance manifolds for Fords. They make stuff for Chevy too.

That's real nice of you taking the credit for something I did not you there TImmy. Then again I'm sure you talked to the owner as well. Typical kid not giving credit where credit is due.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 7:00am
'79, I apologize, i believe you brought these manifolds to everyones attention here first. I did actually discover them a few months earlier (on the donzi forum) and had spoken with Allen twice. I had only expressed mild interest and was trying to gather more info at that point- it was very surprising to get a phone call directly from the owner in Australia! The Hi-teks are next on my list after I get the interior finished.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 8:32am
TRBenj, 87BFN I talked to Allen @ HI-TEK as to price ,consrution methods,width ETC...after we chat for a while he tells me the weight ,12 lbs.and that he also needs dealers in the USA. heres the the deal.if i buy 3 sets he will give me a heck of a price break......small blocks for 1387.00 shipping 150.00 USD.i want a set anyone else want to save some money and add horse power(25 hp)plus shed 100 lbs of weight?   boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 10:33am
Boat Dr, is that for the polished or powdercoated? When I spoke to Allen a year ago I think the total price would have been ~$1700 (US) for the powdercoated, shipping included.

If youre talking $1550 for the polished, then I might not be able to pa$$ that up. I a$$ume these are the standard SBF with 1 3/4" primary and 3" secondary, correct? I know they are essentially the same physical dimensions as the PCM manifolds, so they will fit under my motorbox- but will they work with tall valve covers? I didnt think it would be an issue until I (recently) decided to go with roller rockers. I know there was some fitment issues on the first set he made for the donzis- but that may have been a 4" collector.

Just a heads up but 87BFN would need a set for a BB Chevy- not sure if that would change pricing.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 12:21pm
TRB if my redneck math is correct, i come up w/1389.00 USD total,and yes this is powdercoat.its a PCM clone as far as HxWxL with 3in outlet.the polished i think was 300.00 more,but dont know if that is USD or Aust,the exchange is .75 USD to their 1.00. waiting for him(Allen) to call me back on his nickel and will post info later........... boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 3:28pm
I would really prefer polished, but Im not sure if its worth $300 more. Ive heard that the PC will burn off at the base of the headers- too bad he doesnt use jet-hot coating, which I would think would be more durable on an exhaust.

I a$$umed you meant $1387+150 shipping, but I wont complain if the total is under $1400!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 4:01pm
He qouted me a price of 1500.00 shipped for the polished SBF.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 4:04pm
TRB not real good at this typing thing 1-318-386-2825............. the boat doctor billy sutton. am waiting on a call from Aust. to firm up price ,finish ETC...........call me
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 4:55pm
That price of $1500 would have been a straight up sale (as opposed to a group buy/dealer pricing), right Chris? Either the exchange rate isnt very steady or I sound like a sucker over the phone

Boat Dr, Ill try and give you a call this evening.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 5:11pm
yes, it was straight up US dollor including shipping to IN, but I would push for the polish at the price he gave the doc with the group sale.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 7:27pm
TRB, just got off the phone with Allen, and have all the info you need on the sizing.   87BFN have prices for you on the big block manifolds,powder coat or polished 1875.00 plus 175.00 shipping polished is 225.00
more.Allen says he could not honor the "quote" of 1500.00 USD,to 79 or anyone else.
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 8:47pm
I spoke with Allen yesterday too. His workshop is about 45 mins from me.

He indicated that he was doing a special this month on manifolds, and that he had interest from the usa for a few sets (obviously you guys).

His quote to me was 2200 + tax (for powder coat), which is about $1800 USD with the exchange rate.

I'm looking for manifolds too. What was the price break he was offering.?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 9:28pm
Chopper,read above threads and see the deal he will work for me,but as he said he is trying to get his product into a new market place,USA. by the way to whom is the accent???do we have it or do you(australia). your does not sound too much different than the guys north of the line.The Mason Dixon Line that is............i have a new set of OSCO's sbf for sale,got to buy some HI TEK's......... boat dr
Ronstar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 10:10pm
I could get them out of Cairns Australia for a good price. I had my manifolds Custom built out of 2205 s/s with built in extractors as well. Cost about $2200 Aus. Found to be saving fuel with a bit extra horse power. Good choice to go with s/s for longer life. Let me know if you want any photos or if I can be of help in any way. Chopper, let us know if you need a quote down there...
Regards
Ronstar...
93 Ski Nautique
93 Ski Nautique
07 210 Team
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 12:06am
boat dr,
I've never come across a seppo (aussie term for a yank) yet that sounds like an aussie.

Ronstar,
Post some pics up for the boy's here. I've seen your's on wake. Very nice.

Do either of the SS mainfolds retain the water cooling in the exhaust.?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 7:38am
Yes, the hi-teks retain the water cooled exhaust. Theyre essentially a header surrounded by a water jacket.

I got the chance to speak with the Boat Dr himself last night- very nice guy. He can correct me if I mis-speak, but we would need at least one more person interested in the SBF manifolds to get the special pricing ($1387 US, including shipping). I know the Boat Dr and I both want a bare finish, but perhaps the same price could be given if someone wants theirs powdercoated.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 9:24am
This guy in cleveland may also be worth calling, stainless works   1-800-878-3635 all his stuff is state of the art machinery(cnc mandrel bent) or try his website: www.stainlessworks.net i dont know if he would show interest in building what you guys our looking for. but i know before i would send off any $$$ i would check with this guy. he is well known for building stainless manifolds, headers, exhausts for anything
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 1:58pm
Eric, he may be worth checking out. From what I understand though, bending the headers is the easy part on these manifolds. The real trick is forming the water jackets. The only other company that Ive been able to locate that was willing to make Ford marine exhaust manifolds was CMI. They quoted me $3350 for satin finish, and $3500 for polished.

Considering that, $1387 (shipping from Australia included) for the Hi-teks seems like a pretty decent deal. We arent in a tremendous hurry, but we do need at least 1 more person to get that price.

Anyone interested? '79?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 2:08pm
Already have a set of new edelbrocks ready to bolt on.
Ronstar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 5:03pm

This is the same set up as above, cant load up photo of manifolds on boat...
93 Ski Nautique
07 210 Team
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 5:29pm
they're not exactly the same but same concept, The water jackets are a little different and they look like 4" hose instead of 3" and boxed verses rolled edges. Looks like the welds aren't the best but not bad.
Ronstar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 3:32am
This was the first set, Not much time put into the welds or polish. Choice of 3" or 4" hose. I went for 4" as it suited the rest of my system.
93 Ski Nautique
07 210 Team
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 7:33am
what are you guys after, looks or horsepower?
if its horsepower thats a little bang for a big buck. just being a skeptic on this one. you could by a damn nice set of heads for that kind of $$$$
they do look nice though if your buying them for the looks
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 9:27am
Ronstar, what do the headers look like under the water jacket? Got any dyno results?

Hi-tek has dyno tested their headers to produce 15-25 hp across the RPM range on a stock small block. I believe they have a 3" collector on the header themselves, and a 4" OD including the water jacket.

Eric, I know Im after the power rather than the looks. Ive upgraded the whole top end to improve breathing- cam, intake and heads. I think the biggest restriction at this point is in the exhaust, so that is where my money will go next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 10:29am
Ronstar

I take it you made those nice work overall. How thick is the main mounting plate? the thicker the better, might want to cut the flange inbetween each runner after it's all welded up to prevent exhaust leaks due to the flange warping. I understand it's needed to make sure the runners are all in the same plane when fabing them up but shouldn't be an issue once completed and ready to install. Did you use mandrel bent tubing? Did you have to hand form the ends of the tubing to match up with the flange? With the 4" outlet bet that create a nice deep tone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic