NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FCC Canister Removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FCC Canister Removal
    Posted: April-27-2020 at 1:26am
Hi All - I know this is going to seem like a silly question but I need to tap in to your expertise to set me straight on a few items.

I will be changing out the fuel filter this year for the first time since I owned the boat (its long over do, 200 hrs I've put on it, but its run like a dream and only zero ethanol marine gas). My concern is I know these things can be hard to get off and I am afraid if I go in the wrong direction thinking its just being stubborn I will ruin the canister causing much more damage that I would like.

Long story short, I have done my research, found a lot of great info on this website and planet nautique on steps/instructions how to complete this task. Getting hung up on two items:

1. Direction to unscrew the FCC Canister

- Mine is located on the driver side (Stbd) right at the front corner of the engine bay.
- Its says unscrew counterclockwise. Using the principle of "lefty loosy, righty tighty)
- Facing in the direction and looking toward the back (stern) of the boat, I interpret that to unscrew it in the direction toward the passenger side or port side of the boat.

I this youtube clip where a DIY'er replace his PCM FCC filter and turned it clockwise to remove it.

Start to watch at 1:22 - 2:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmrRSFN0n-0&t=622s

Not sure if his set up is just completely backwards or I am just losing my mind.

Can you help me out ?

2. Grease the gasket

To grease the gasket what do you use ? Lithium grease ? Engine oil ?

3. Recommendation on what tool to use to remove it ?

I've heard a filter wrench or strap wrench will do the trick the majority of the time. But knowing my luck, this thing will be a pain. Any other suggestions ?

If you have any other tips that would be great as well.

Hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe.

Tyler

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2020 at 2:10am
To help you to understand which way to turn it, take a jar hold the lid still and turn the jar to unscrew it, wallah its clockwise or right to left.
Now take the same jar and hold the jar still and unscrew the lid, its ccw left to right simple
As for grease on the O-ring they make special grease for rubber O-rings its called O-ring lube or you could use oil, Vaseline or anything slippery so the O-ring stays set in place when screwing the canister back together.
Now I was able to use a filter wrench on mine but what I would do if it was mine is start with the simplest least destructive tool first like a filter wrench, strap wrench, channel locks and the pipe wrench being the last resort as cranking on one of those can distort the canister.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2020 at 7:41am
I wouldn't pretend to know anything about your mind, but like Gun Driver's analogy with the jar, he's turning it the right way in the video

T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2020 at 11:43am
Sorry guys I know I am over thinking/complicating this and thanks for your replies. I don't have the canister in front of me. But what direction does the FCC canister need to go ? Clockwise or C.Clockwise ? I was under the impression as a general lid rule that lefty loose.

Gun Driver that's great advice on the tools to use, start small then ramp it up if needed.

Keno - I am sorry but I disagree. The guy in the video turned it clockwise, that suggest to me to tighten it. Unless he's instruction advise differently.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2020 at 11:45am
The canister has right hand threads.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2020 at 11:50am
Originally posted by T_bone19 T_bone19 wrote:

Sorry guys I know I am over thinking/complicating this and thanks for your replies. I don't have the canister in front of me. But what direction does the FCC canister need to go ? Clockwise or C.Clockwise ? I was under the impression as a general lid rule that lefty loose.

Gun Driver that's great advice on the tools to use, start small then ramp it up if needed.

Keno - I am sorry but I disagree. The guy in the video turned it clockwise, that suggest to me to tighten it. Unless he's instruction advise differently.

It's OK with me if you disagree

Go grab a jar of peanut butter or whatever and hold the top firmly with your left hand, now turn the bottom with your right hand.

Turn the bottom the opposite way that he did in the video and see what happens.

Turn it the way he did in the video and see what happens

Link to video

link

That peanut butter jar is "lefty loosey" Both the jar and the FCC are right hand threads like Pete mentioned.

Or..........put your face under the FCC module and see which way it's turning.
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2020 at 12:46pm
Wow...Finally the light bulb went on....Thanks 8122 and Keno thanks for the extra details. I finally got it.   

Thanks for clarifying. Hopefully, some other DIY'er finds this helpful.

Keno - You were spot it. Thanks again and I fully agree with you
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2020 at 1:11pm
I guess it was the peanut butter in the jar analogy that I left out.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2020 at 10:15pm
Glad we got that all straightened out
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2020 at 1:05pm
UPDATE

Wanted to give you all an update.

So i tried to get this off myself with a filter wrench. No luck, I bent the wrench. I read on another post a member had a genius idea and take it to the dealership/marina and have them to do the heavy lifting and then your gold after that.

I did drain the cannister and no water.

Just heard from the Nautique Marina today that they couldn't get it off and they bent their filter wrench. In the fall, they said they would try to heat it up with a heat gun to loosen it up but I should be good for the season.

Any tips on how to get this thing off.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2020 at 1:17pm
I used a LARGE pipe wrench. 30" or 36” I believe. I wrapped 2 layers of black duct tape around the canister to keep the wrench teeth from marring the canister. Bingo. Very minimal marks on the canister.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
T_bone19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_bone19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2020 at 3:05pm
Did you ever break or dent the cannister ? That's my only concern, then its lights our for my summer,
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2020 at 5:11pm
While I definitely am a fan of preventive maintenance, why not take the dealer's recommendation, wait for the end of the season? I'm sure your filter is overdue but then again it doesn't seem likely that this will be the season it will plug up and restrict fuel flow and cause problems. My 2 cents.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2020 at 12:53am
Originally posted by T_bone19 T_bone19 wrote:

Did you ever break or dent the cannister ? That's my only concern, then its lights our for my summer,

The FCC canister is tough with thick walls. The big pipe wrench really didn't do any damage -- no dents, just a couple of “teeth marks” from the pipe wrench. Make it easy on yourself. Rent a big pipe wrench and twist that bad-boy off.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Fast351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fast351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2020 at 10:37am
1) TAKE THE FILTER OUT OF THE BOAT!!! (The 5 hoses take a couple minutes to disconnect).
2) Clamp the housing (the piece that the hoses attach to) in a big vise.
3) Take your filter wrench, add a pipe (I used a piece of 1" conduit I had laying around) and apply pressure.  It took a LOT of pressure but I was able to get mine to loosen up like this.  Couple small vise marks in the housing, but no other damage.

Yeah they're on tight.  I bent my filter wrench too:

2001 Ski Nautique 196
2007 Air Nautique 211 TE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic