NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dead Spot at 3100 RPMs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead Spot at 3100 RPMs
    Posted: September-25-2006 at 5:03pm
My boat has a 1993 Ford 351 engine (Carburetor). It runs great except when I get into the 3100 to 3200 rpm range and then I hit a dead spot (runs extremely poor) once I get above 3200 rpms the engine runs well again.

Is this a carburetor problem or an ignition issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

skilew
Lew
skilew77@yahoo.com
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 8:21pm
I suspect the distributor.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
83SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 8:31pm
Sounds like your secondary diaphram and or spring may be bad.Your secondaries may be trying to open too soon.
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 3:24pm
Carburetor was just rebuilt this year so I don't think it is the culprit.

skilew
Lew
skilew77@yahoo.com
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 3:45pm
I had a similar problem with my 93', I had the Pro-Boss motor, mine was related to the Pro Tech coil pack, it became worse the hotter the boat got. Replaced Pro-Tech with new electronic distributor.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 3:52pm
Well then if you don't think it's the carb your foolish because that's about the only thing it can be at that RPM and if the person who rebuilt it isn't very good then odds are it's the carb and it isn't adjusted correctly and needs fine tuned a little. It sure sounds like a secondaries issue. At 3100-3200 rpm the advance should all ready be maxed, it could be a fuel pump issue but that wouldn't be limited to such a specific rpm. The carb transitioning would be the most likely issue. Now if it was a computer controled engine that would be a little different, but it's a carb. When the carb was re-built de they replace all of the diaphrams? I don't believe all needed come in the kit and you have to purchase them separately.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Well then if you don't think it's the carb your foolish because that's about the only thing it can be at that RPM and if the person who rebuilt it isn't very good then odds are it's the carb and it isn't adjusted correctly and needs fine tuned a little. It sure sounds like a secondaries issue. At 3100-3200 rpm the advance should all ready be maxed, it could be a fuel pump issue but that wouldn't be limited to such a specific rpm. The carb transitioning would be the most likely issue. Now if it was a computer controled engine that would be a little different, but it's a carb. When the carb was re-built de they replace all of the diaphrams? I don't believe all needed come in the kit and you have to purchase them separately.

Sounds like good advice to me.

You can also likely rule out the pro-tech coil packs causing the problem because I dont believe he has a Correct Craft.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 7:29pm
I'm betting it's the accel pump not adjusted right or the secondaries. If your cruising at a steady speed then give a little throttle it's stumbling seems really weird and a odd RPM to have issues. I doubt that it does it coming up on rpm and WOT. it has to be done by the throttle cruising right under 3k then giving it gas.
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 2:11pm
Here is some additional info.

This is the Pro-Boss motor, I have removed the Pro Tech coil pack and replaced Pro-Tech with new electronic distributor two years ago.

The carb was rebuilt this season by National Carburetors. They have a very good reputation on rebuilding carburetors for marine applications. It wasn't cheap $200.00 but everything was replaced, bench tested and a live engine test. This is still not to say that they could have missed something on the rebuild. They live engine tested it but not under a load.

There is one other thing that the engine will do that may or may not be part of this surging problem at 3100 rpms. If I run the boat at WOT and then bring it back to idle it wants to idle at 1200 rpms vs the normal 650 rpms. The only way I can get the idle back to 650 rpms is to cut the engine off and then restart and then it will idle at 650 rpms.

Thanks again for all the help.
Lew
skilew77@yahoo.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 2:20pm
keep lieing to yourself and saying it's not a carb issue.

You have a carb issue plain and simple and also have a vaccum leak as well causing more problems. Going with a large carb remanufacturer is a waiste of money and they are never right you can believe all their BS but it's not adjusted for you application or your motor so it doesn't do any good to flow test, bench test or what ever you want to call it on a different motor with a different intake with a different cam with different compression with eveything else being different to what you have on yours.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 7:25pm
Now that I hear the whole story I have to vote with 79. Sounds like an intake problem of some kind, carb, sticking pcv valve or a bad vacuum leak resulting from loose or non-fitting parts somewhere. Check your hoses, pcv valve, and make sure you carb is bolted down tight. I would also torque the intake manifold bolts.
If all is tight and you don't have a vacuum leak, it must be the carb. Just because the carb is fresh does not eliminate it - in fact just the opposite. Maybe you can disconnect the secondaries and see if you still have the problem.
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 8:33pm
Ok it does sound like a carburetor issue.

Checked the following yesterday:

*PVC valve ok not sticking.
*Checked for vacuum leaks installed new base gasket since I had an extra one and used carb cleaner sprayed around the manifold while running to verify no leaks.

Also dead spot will occur if going from say 3600 down to the 3100 range. It ocurrs going from low to high rpm and from high to low rpm.

If it was an accelerator pump issue why does it occur going from the higher rpm to the lower rpm?

Just trying to eliminate one issue at a time.

Also, how do I disconnect the secondaries to test.

Thanks
Lew
skilew77@yahoo.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 9:08pm
If your holley has a metering block for the secondaries then focus on that. With the RPM your seeing somethings wrong, sometimes the carb cleaner test doesn't work also. Double check for flatness on the spacer plate you should be able to remove the carb and not hurt the gasket since you just replaced it, unless you glued it down. Also most PCV valves ports are smaller than the hose for the baseplate so put a hose clamp on it if there isn't one already. What is you timing advance like, around 8 at idle then you want to see it maxed by 2500-2800 rpm in the low 30's if it still increasing then you need stiffer spring on the mech advance. Seems really odd having an issue backing off the gas? how slowly are you moving the throttle when this happens? if your featering the throttle slowly then it just maybe you causing it and feeling the curcuit transition in the carb. Another thought that power valve do you have? is it a 6.5, 2.5 or something else?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 10:12pm
Yeh, the slowing down thing is a puzzle. That's why I'm thinking a very loose sloppy fitting hose that is moving around and sometimes there is a leak and sometimes not. It sure seems like it could be the secondaries sticking and popping open though. It's a puzzle. Could it be binding secondary linkage the that the vacuum overcomes when a certain speed is reached and sometimes the secondaries are just not closing because of the bind, causing what looks like a vacuum leak? It has to be the carb or a loose fit somewhere. Even a loose carb plate maybe?

If I couldn't confirm a vacuum leak I'd yank the carb off and check the mechanics of it. Make sure the spacer is flat - I had that problem - it happens.

79, what about a broken, bent, or non-fitting spring in the secondary vacuum pot?

I think there is a c-clamp holding the vacuum pot linkage on the secondary arm. I have to look on mine. It was that way on an old 780 Holly I used to have. You should be able to just pop that c-clamp off and pul the vacuum pot linkage arm off the shaft and run it that way. I wil look on mine tomorrow to confirm. 79, should know.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 10:59pm
Jim I'm like you and need to look but I believe your right, might even be a loose screw on the diaphram sucking some air. Diffenently check the linkage to everthing, something must be in a bind. Seems like the only think that could cause the slow down issue.
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 1:40pm
I will take the boat out for a test run this weekend. I will check the linkages.

I thought that maybe a good test would be to examine the carb secondaries with the boat at idle (650 rpms) then go to WOT and bring the boat back to idle. When I do this the boat will idle above normally as previously described at 1250 rpm. I then will look into the carb and note what is different from my initial examination when the boat was idling normally at(650 rpms).

Lew
skilew77@yahoo.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 2:26pm
might make a couple of reference marks with a sharpie to use as a starting point or have some one else go and have the motor box open and watch as they drive, just stay clear of the pulleys and do it early when the water is smooth.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 3:05pm
SkiLew, I'm not sure if you can necessarly see a slight opening in the secondary butterfly.

When you are idling at 1250 RPM just grab the secondary linkage and pull the secondaries closed by hand. That should do it unless the set screw underneath the carb which prevents the secondaries from bending when closed is misadjusted (but then the problem would not be intermittent). I have never seen that happen though. I'm not even sure if these newer (than 1966) Holleys have the set screw I'm talking about but if they do it cannot be reached without removing the carb. You didn't install a MR. Gasket carb gasket did you? If you did you need to pull it off and throw it away. I had a problem with an intermittent vacuum leak with 2 new Mr. Gasket carb gaskets - they are worse than junk. They just don't seal.

A screw holding the butterfly on the shaft could have even come loose allowing a butterfly to be slightly uncontrollable and present you with what looks like a vacuum leak.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 3:12pm
I have heard that the carb bases can wear allowing the butterfly shaft to wobble too much. It seems I have seen a rebuild kit or procedure for those worn bases. I can see where a carb rebuilder could let that slip through the crack and not catch it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 3:18pm
Does your electroninc distributor have a centrifigal advance? If so, you might put your eyeballs on the springs and make sure everything looks well and the advance plate moves freely.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 6:06pm
I went over this with my 92 earlier this year. About 3k or so, it would start to stall out and sputter and then possibly backfire through the carb. Did this out of the hole also, but through the rest of the range it was fine. I came here, and got some help... tried it all.. had my carb rebuilt, still not right, but better. I ended up tracing my steps back to when I pulled it out in the spring. In the spring, this when I changed my plugs, (after I burn off the fogging oil, then put new ones in) I got new plugs from SkiDim, what they told me. I didnt pay any attention to the ones that were in there, I pulled those, put the new ones in and hit the water and had the issue. So tracing my steps back, I changed to the correct plug and everything was fine. No problem throughout the RPM range and even ran better now.   
I think the ProTech is very picky about everything from voltage it is getting, (if your stereo is sucking the life out of the 12v system, it may screw with your ProTech) to the plugs you use. In my case, it was the plugs...

So you may have a bad plug in the V8. Pull them out and check them all... better yet, just replace them. It's easier and makes your CC happy again
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 9:20pm
I test ran my boat this weekend. I could not get the boat to duplicate the high idle problem but the 3100 rpm dead spot is still there.

My boat came with the ProTech system but it has since been retrofitted with the off the self Mallory ignition system from Skidim that is sold for the purpose of replacing the ProTech system.

So how do I check the springs in the distributor?

Lew
skilew77@yahoo.com
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 9:37am
If the boat ran fine after installing the distributor the springs should be OK unless one of them came off or broke. Just put your eyes on them and see if they lok OK. I am not familiar with your distributor, but if it has a centrifigal advance you should be able to move the advqance plate by hand and watch the springs return it when you turn loose. You will have to take you distributor abort to do this but you can leave it in the engine.

To eliminate the distributor as the culprit you may want to pull it and take it to a distributor shop to have tested.

The problem could still be carb related though.

Have you tried running the boat with the secondaries disconnected? It should run well without the secondaries connected - it will just have less power.
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 11:48pm
Good suggestion.

But how do you disconnect the secondaries?
Lew
skilew77@yahoo.com
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 6:44pm
There is a small c-clamp that holds the vacuum dash pot arm onto the secondary linkage. Just remove that c-clamp and pull the vacuum dash pot arm off the secondary linkage and let it hang free. Your secondaries will remain closed under all conditions. This will allow you to run on the front two barrels and see what happens. The carb should perform the same as a small 2 barrel. There should be no dead spot.

Like 79 said earlier, the secondaries could be coming in too soon, too late, or too suddenly. The rate at which the secondaries open is determined by the spring located inside the vacuum dash pot. You have to remove 4 screws to get to that spring. The color of the spring tells you the rating of the spring. Usually you don't have to worry about the spring but you said your carb was rebuilt so there is not telling what they did - no matter how good of a shop they are. There is a small port that allows a vacuum to be pulled on the dash pot. If that port is clogged you could also have problems with the opening of the secondaries. You had a problem with the carb not returning to idle. It could be problem in the vacuum dash pot hanging the secondaries open.

(I have been calling the vacuum actuator a dash pot because I do not know the proper name.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic