Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

92 Excel Fuel Issues?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RCHANDED View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCHANDED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 92 Excel Fuel Issues?
    Posted: May-22-2020 at 11:33pm
Hello All,

I believe I have a fuel issue.

Carb is not getting any fuel. There is fuel in the filter canister, but the fuel line from the canister to the pump is bone dry. Faulty fuel pump? Any quick tests I can do? The boat does run when I drip fuel into the carb.

Maintenance I've done before summer use.

Rebuilt the carb.
New fuel
New fuel filter
Replaced the fuel line from the pump to carb.
New battery

Thanks in advance!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 11:44pm
A couple of relatively quick tests to tell you if the pump is pumping.

You could disconnect the line from the pump to the carburetor, aim it into a catch container and see if any fuel comes out when you crank the engine over.

If none comes out you could hook up a portable tank to the fuel pump suction and see if any fuel comes out of the line disconnected above when cranking it over.

What is the canister? The big fuel filter/water separator

What is the filter, something other than the canister?
RCHANDED View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCHANDED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 11:49pm
Keno, thanks for the quick response!

Your first comment...I did disconnect, it is dry, should be wet with fuel from cranking correct? If not, bad pump?

Cannister...yes the fuel filter housing
Filter...yes the filter in the housing

Thanks,
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 11:54pm
It should be coming out the disconnected line when cranking.

If you have an air leak on the suction side, like if the filter housing is not sealed correctly, then the pump won't suck any fuel.

Did you have the problem before you changed the filter or did it come up after the change?
RCHANDED View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCHANDED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2020 at 12:01am
The problem started after the filter change.

I'll put it back together and try your suggestions.

Thanks!

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2020 at 12:05am
Check the seal/O ring on the filter housing as a starting point

Also check the hose and clamps between the filter housing and the pump

Good luck, we'll say it'll be an easy fix hopefully

You don't have a fuel shutoff before the filter canister that you shut and forgot to open do you? Just had to ask the obvious
RCHANDED View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCHANDED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2020 at 12:15am
Yes to the fuel shut off. I've been down that road before, so that was the first thing I checked, and it is operational.

Hopefully I'll get some answers by tomorrow.

Thanks again
RCHANDED View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCHANDED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2020 at 1:54pm
KENO...I removed the fuel pump and pumped it manually, doing so I was able to make it squirt fuel. However, it doesn't pump when connected on the block. I dumped the fuel line off the pump into a bucket and nothing. Do these need a certain amount of pressure to make them work?

Thanks,
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2020 at 9:59pm
Hi Ryan

If you can make it pump by hand, the engine should be able to make it pump a lot better

It just seems that if it quit pumping after the filter change, it's related to the filter but you say that it won't pump from a separate container when the engine is operating the pump.

It's hard to install the pump wrong so it seems like based on your observations, maybe it's time for a new pump or a rebuild of the original.

A new Carter pump number for your engine is M60389. You can find them at a lot of places for a lot of different prices. The new ones are made "someplace else" and aren't rebuildable.

The old ones like your original were made in the USA and are rebuildable.

Getting in touch with the place in the link, you could get a rebuild kit or send it for a rebuild.

Your choice on what to do

I like having spare parts on hand, so I'd get a new one if you're in a hurry and get a kit for the old one or send it off for a rebuild if you're so inclined.

link
RCHANDED View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCHANDED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2020 at 11:28am
Great stuff

Thanks Keno!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic