Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1990 Ski nautique problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Andrewkelly1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrewkelly1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 Ski nautique problem
    Posted: May-25-2020 at 1:01am
Hello everyone! I am hoping for some advice and incite on an issue that happened today with my 1990 ski nautique.
I put it in the water a few days ago after storing it in my garage over the winter.
The steering felt a little stiffer then I remember but your could maneuver the boat just fine with some slight effort to turn the wheel.
Took my 9 yo for the first ski run of the season, again after dropping him by our swim raft I went to make a turn towards the dock. When I turned the wheel I felt a Click or snap and then the wheel would just free spin without actually turning the rudder .
I swam it back to the lift and took a closer look... the wheel will just freely spin and make a clicking sound, no movement of the rudder at all..
My question is.. do I have an issue with the helm, steering head, or a snapped steering cable?
Any places to recommend for ordering replacement parts or to try troubleshooting over the phone..
would like to get to work on replacing whatever needs to be done
Thanks
Andrew
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 9:01am
Andrew,
Sure sounds like a cable to me but you'll need to do some further investigating. Take a look at the tiller arm end of the cable while turning the helm. If it's not moving then chances are high it's the cable. Then pull the cable out of the helm and when moving one end and if the other end isn't, then you'll know. Nautique Parts is a good source for the cable. Understand it is a special throw so it is on the pricey side. Do not use a generic cable. Your boat would have a steering problem!

Welcome to CCfan. About where are you in Wi.?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrewkelly1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 9:53am
Thanks for the response ...
the steering wheel will just turn freely with absolutely no resistance right now.
It also
Makes a clicking sound as it turns.i will try disconnecting the cable at the helm.... once I do that does the cable pull or turn (spin) to a Attempt to move the tiller?
I am located in north central Wisconsin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 9:58am
Andrew,
The cable pushes and pulls. If it's not broken, then the problem is in the helm. Report back what you find.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 11:03am
As I recall, the cable should wind out of the helm after you unscrew the retainer nut. It will be greasy so have some gloves on & a plastic bag to put the end into.

There are many posts on this site about the procedure to replace the cable.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrewkelly1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 11:08am
Thanks for the tips.. I’m headed our shortly to check the cable .. I’ll report back.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrewkelly1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 1:10pm
Assuming that the steering cable is the issue, should i plan on ordering the direct replacement? I have been researching this. and this cable seems to be much more expensive then the cable that goes in the newer models. Some posts mention that you can upgrade to a newer cable by changing out some of the helm/steering components as well. Is this worth doing or should i just plan on replacing the cable if that is what is truly going on?
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 1:21pm
I’d be willing to bet big money that the steering cable is broken. Surprised no one has suggested moving the rudder manually while having an observer watch the helm for movement of the wheel. This will tell you immediately that the cable is broken without removing the aft panels to check. I’ve heard some sad stories over the years of folks who went for the “cheap aftermarket” steering cables only to be disappointed in the end. Thank about it, it’s a 30 year old boat and you’ll likely never have to replace the cable again!   If you use nautiqueparts.com you can get a 10% discount by using PND as promo code.

Good luck with the repair.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Andrewkelly1983 Andrewkelly1983 wrote:

Assuming that the steering cable is the issue, should i plan on ordering the direct replacement? I have been researching this. and this cable seems to be much more expensive then the cable that goes in the newer models. Some posts mention that you can upgrade to a newer cable by changing out some of the helm/steering components as well. Is this worth doing or should i just plan on replacing the cable if that is what is truly going on?

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Andrew, Nautique Parts is a good source for the cable. Understand it is a special throw so it is on the pricey side. Do not use a generic cable. Your boat would have a steering problem!

Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

I’ve heard some sad stories over the years of folks who went for the “cheap aftermarket” steering cables only to be disappointed in the end.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 2:50pm
I did a writeup on my 93 Steering Cable replacement here:
Steering Cable Replacement

Before you order the cable, another check you could do is to poke your head under the dash to see what's going on, make sure the helm gear is still attached to the "rack" end of the cable. There's always the possibility, although maybe unlikely. that something broke or came loose under there.

The helm end depends on nuts and bolts holding the rack end of the cable agains the helm gear.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrewkelly1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 2:53pm
Update:
I went down to the boat with my son..it was on the lift so it was a little tricky.
I wiggled the tiller around a little in the water, it was pretty difficult move by hand..not sure if that is normal. As i was doing that he saw the steering wheel move.
He was then able to turn the wheel to the left, and the tiller moved accordingly . It might have been a little stiff turning it, but he was able to turn it with 2 hands ( he is nine y.o).
However, when we tried turning the steering wheel to the right, it would move the tiller accordingly until it reached the end range. At that point, the wheel would skip and return to free spinning with a slight click as it spun.
I would manually move the tiller again ( moving wheel to the left), the wheel would re-engage and he could turn the wheel all the way to the left again.

Any thoughts on what could be going on, or what might need to be replaced?

Thanks!
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 3:24pm
A bit of confusion here with regards to terminology. The tiller is the arm that actually turns the rudder. The rudder is located at the aft end of the vessel and causes the boat to turn. If moving the rudder also turns “the steering wheel” aka helm then it would appear that the steering cable is intact. However stiff steering is 99% of the time the cable. It is possible that the helm rack has damage as well. I’d certainly get under the dash and check that out. To be sure you could order both and replace the entire system. The folks at Nautique parts.com are very knowledgeable and provide excellent technical telephone support.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrewkelly1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 3:30pm
Regarding my
Above message.. I was behind the boat turning the rudder ,
The steering wheel could
Move the rudder when turned to the left.. when the wheel was turned to the right it would turn the rudder until it got to the end range of motion for the wheel.
At that point it would click, spin freely and not turn the rudder.
Could I replace the helm part if necessary now, then at the end of the season do the cable or is it just worth doing it all at once?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 3:43pm
The skip with click and then free spinning makes me suspect there is something going on where the steering wheel or helm gear interfaces with the rack gear of the cable.

There's also the possibility that something is messed up within the helm gearing if it has a tilt type helm.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

The skip with click and then free spinning makes me suspect there is something going on where the steering wheel or helm gear interfaces with the rack gear of the cable.

There's also the possibility that something is messed up within the helm gearing if it has a tilt type helm.

Plus 1. It's got to be taken apart to find out what's going on inside the helm.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrewkelly1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 4:16pm
Thanks for the advice.. so I need to remove the steering wheel and helm .. would this also involve
Taking the steering cable off it’s connection at the helm or can the helm part be pulled straight out without cable removal ?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 4:22pm
Before you take anything apart, just take a look under the dash, on the backside of the steering wheel with a flashlight and see if you can have someone move the wheel for you.

When the wheel is turned all the way right to that "skipping" stage, see if you can see any unusual movement.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrewkelly1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 6:11pm
We went back down to the boat.. I took a look under the dash and the nut/washer on what I assume is the bottom of the helm bolt had a little play. I tightened it up slightly and had my son turn the wheel.. it turned to the left and stopped without clicking or free spinning. Turning it to the right it would move the rudder but there was no stop point in the steering .. you could continue turning the wheel to the right after the rudder stopped its corresponding movement..
we took the boat out on a short test run.. it seemed to steer fine turning to the left as previous.. a harder right turn brought on a slight catch in the wheel but it didn’t release or free spin.. sorry this might be a tough one to figure out..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 6:35pm

sorry this might be a tough one to figure out..

Andrew,
I think somethings amiss inside the helm so opening it up may tell the story. The stiffness is still a concern. It may have caused damage inside the helm? A new cable in my opinion may be needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrewkelly1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 6:45pm
Can the helm come apart by removing the steering wheel and the nut/bolt in the end of the helm? Does the steering cable need to be removed as well?
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 10:59am
The link below is a non tilt helm Assy. for your boat vintage. It looks to me like you could take the four bolts off of this part and be able to inspect the gear in this assy, and moving the rudder should show you all the teeth. Also inspect the part attached to the steering wheel shaft.
I would be very concerned with driving the boat much with this type of problem just waiting to occur on a hard turn under power
Helm
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Mpost Mpost wrote:

The link below is a non tilt helm Assy. for your boat vintage.
Helm

Martin,
I don't think Andrew has the rack and pinion. Chances are higher that it's the Big T Teleflex.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrewkelly1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 12:36pm
Thanks for the responses.. I’m going to try and post a pic of what it looks like under the steering console .. I don’t think it’s a rack and pinion.. it resembles more of a rotary system I believe ...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 12:38pm

Thanks for the responses.. I’m going to try and post a pic of what it looks like under the steering console .. I don’t think it’s a rack and pinion.. it resembles more of a rotary system I believe ...

If it looks like a rotary, it's the Big T Teleflex.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

If it looks like a rotary, it's the Big T Teleflex.

Maybe... but not 100% true. Most 90 should have the big-T, but some late 90 and then 91-92 had some different rotary systems (not big-T). My 91 had such a set up. Pics would be best to confirm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrewkelly1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 12:57pm
Im
Not sure how to post a pic.. I tried the tree with the arrow up but it didn’t work..
I can send an email photo to someone if they feel comfortable .... or maybe I need to do something else for getting the photo on here..
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 1:12pm
Are you uploading it with an iPhone? Sometimes an iPad will work (oddly) but you often need a regular computer.

Anyway, the picture may be uploaded but lost in the abyss. To find the file location
1.) Click on Member control, with the little gear on the upper left of this page
2.)Click on file manager
3.)See if you can find your pic, if so, right click it and open it in a new tab.
4.)Grab the pics url from the top of the new tab
5.)post it here

Otherwise PM me, and you can send it to me over email.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrewkelly1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 1:14pm
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/19740/D07CC90A-7A20-4252-8A4A-CCA243160F8D.jpeg

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 1:16pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrewkelly1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 1:18pm
Hope that view is ok to help determine what cable that might be
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic