Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford 351 cap and rotor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford 351 cap and rotor
    Posted: May-25-2020 at 11:56am
I have a restored 77 Ski Nautique. The cap and rotor have been on ongoing issue.   Moisture gets under the cap causing sputtering etc.   easy enough fix but there has to be a better way.   Any opinions on the best cap and rotor set up for this engine?

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2020 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Dishman Dishman wrote:

I have a restored 77 Ski Nautique. The cap and rotor have been on ongoing issue.   Moisture gets under the cap causing sputtering etc.   easy enough fix but there has to be a better way.   Any opinions on the best cap and rotor set up for this engine?

From old posts, it looks like you have an original Prestolite with a Pertronix conversion

You have a vent with a flame arrestor screen in the body of the distributor that moisture can get in through, but it's there to help prevent an explosion.

Are you using the gasket that goes between the body and the cap?

The cap should have no open holes in it, marine caps for that distributor don't but some automotive ones that fit have a vent hole. That's not a good thing in a boat   

What are you using for caps?
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 9:14am
Currently using a Sierra marine cap. Part 18- something.   Master pro makes an auto one with a vent. I thought maybe that would help With the moisture?   Yes there is a gasket but it is old at this point. Any ideas on stopping the moisture?   Is there an entirely different set up that would be better?   Thanks Keno.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 9:58am
No ideas on stopping/ reducing the moisture other than maybe a new gasket.

Any marine distributor for your engine that you'd replace it with would have the same screened vent setup
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 11:07am
Best remedy is to keep your boat and bilge as dry as possible
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 3:46pm
Thanks Keno.   So no go on a vent or pressure release in the distributor cap?   The Sierra one crosses to a master pro but it has a pressure release or vent or something. I thought that might help?   But if that could cause an explosion? I do not want any explosions.

Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 10:57pm
Thanks! What has always been strange to me is after I clean out the condensation it works flawlessly the rest of the weekend even with some water in the bilge when I forget to run it.   Maybe a new Sierra cap and gasket will help. The gasket is definitely in 7 year old shape.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic