Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine year

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
99airwarrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine year
    Posted: May-26-2020 at 3:20am
I Have a 85 2001 and I am going to pull the timing chain cover and I might as well put a timing set in it at the same time. The information I run into says the chain set changed in 1984 to the two piece fuel pump eccentric. It does have a mechanical fuel pump and carburetor. I was trying to order the parts before I start the job. Pre 84 was the single fuel pump eccentric. My question is did the engines generally run 1 year older than the model year or did they use what every they had on hand? It looks like the timing sets are not interchangeable. Thank You Joe
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 9:02am
2 piece eccentrics were around long before 1984 and you have a really, really good probability of having one in your engine.   

The best way to verify this before pulling the cover is to pull the fuel pump and you'll be able to use let's say a screwdriver and press on the eccentric.

On the 2 piece you'll feel what seems like slop or looseness because the outer sleeve is able to freely rotate around the inner piece and has quite a bit of clearance.

You can also search here on CCF and find pictures and threads with 2 piece eccentrics pre 84.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 2:09pm
Keno Thank You for the help Joe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 1:50am
Keno You were right it was a 2 piece eccentric Thanks again Joe
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 9:06am
Glad you checked , you should be good to go now

When it's apart could you take some pictures of the camshaft drive gear, just curious if it has the nylon coated teeth and if they're all still intact.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 10:33pm
Here they are all teeth look great except 2 that have unusual damage on the side it would have had to pick something up in the chain to do that damage Joe trying to get pictures to upload

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 11:34pm
I can not get the pictures to up load they are jpeg and under the max KB The program keeps changing them to jfif Thank You Joe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2020 at 2:37am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2020 at 2:38am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2020 at 2:39am
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2020 at 7:30am
Hey Look at that Joe, now you know how to post pictures too.............good job Thanks

Now people can refer this thread when wondering what kind of gear Ford used in 85 and even a little later than that in their marine 351's.

IAnd..........t's good that the teeth are intact and not scattered around the oil pan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2020 at 1:18am
Keno Thank You for all the help I started another thread because it was a different problem Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic