Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1959 Atom Skier Gray Marine 4 knocking

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Linbarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linbarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1959 Atom Skier Gray Marine 4 knocking
    Posted: May-26-2020 at 3:55pm
New varnish on my boat this winter. Running great this year THEN... Last weekend I was cruising to the boat ramp when she started knocking and loosing power. Oil pressure dropped to zero. Shut her down immediately.    Problem was a ruptured line to the oil pressure gauge. Repaired and replaced the two lost quarts of oil. Restarted engine. Ran quiet and smooth as before with 40lbs oil pressure on trailer with siphon.   

Launched. Ran quiet and smooth as on trailer. BUT, over about 2,000 rpm she starts knocking and loosing power. Oil pressure stays at 40 lbs. Please tell me something other than to rebuild the engine. I do not have those skills.

Barry Smith
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 4:12pm
Barry,
Sorry to say but the knock could be a blown main or connecting rod bearing. The only way to really tell is pulling the engine and pulling the oil pan.

The varnish job looks fantastic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
56-Atom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 56-Atom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 4:50pm
My 56 Atom, 70hp, had a similar issue last season. On the first fire up the engine ran great up to 3000+ rpms. Then it suddenly capped out at 2400 RPMs. Tried to re-set timing, fuel/water separator filter, rebuilt generator, carb adjust and the same. At end of season a gentleman at the dock suggested a new spark advance spring. Did so, and rpm shot up to 3400. If you open your distributor cap you should be able to assess the spring, should be fairly tight, hard to pull on with your fingernail. It is a cheap fix attempt. If you get the same, then at least you have a spare set of points/spring for after the motor gets looked at.
56-Atom
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/edit/a.1729455880510267/
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 5:09pm
If it's knocking after running low on oil, you have a lower end bearing problem. Do not run the motor or you risk scoring the crank and requiring a full rebuild.

Pull the motor, pull the oil pan, pull the bearing caps and inspect the crank surface. If it's still shiny and you can't feel any scratches with a fingernail, you might be able to just throw in new bearings and run it.

Also, get rid of that live oil feed line and run an electronic sender gauge.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

Also, get rid of that live oil feed line and run an electronic sender gauge.

What? An oil line is just a sound as a fuel line. They do not rupture. I suspect a loose fitting after the varnish job?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Linbarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linbarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 6:38pm
I would be foolish to not check this out. thanks,
Barry Smith
Linbarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linbarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 6:41pm
There was a six inch long rubber/fiber line that connected to the copper line under the floor board. Pretty rotten on both ends. My bad for not seeing and replacing it when I had the floor out.   
Barry Smith
56-Atom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 56-Atom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 7:20pm
Mine blew at the gauge seal and leaked all over the dash. Are you still running a 6 volt and how is your dash grounded? The reason I ask is my 56 originally grounded via the copper oil pressure line.
56-Atom
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/edit/a.1729455880510267/
Linbarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linbarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 3:52pm

I am thinking a lower bearing problem. I have discussed the issue and fix with my boat mechanic.   He is ready to pull the motor next week and check it out. I will be getting the parts.

Where do I find the right bearings?   My assumption is that all should be replaced. What do I need to order the bearing? Do I need a different size from the stock?

Is it a good idea to replace the oil pump since I have the opportunity?

Any coaching you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Barry Smith
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Linbarr Linbarr wrote:

Where do I find the right bearings?   My assumption is that all should be replaced. What do I need to order the bearing? Do I need a different size from the stock?

Barry,
Your mechanic needs to determine the sizes. If the crank needs grinding, then that too will govern the size.

The Gray is based on a Industrial Continental block so he should have a source for parts. If not, then Van Ness will be a good source but they will want more $$$.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2020 at 10:18am
Barry,
One additional thought and that is your mechanic should also check the cam bearings. I believe with those Continental blocks, the oil goes to the cam first and then to the main bearings/rod bearings. So, the cam bearings would see the lost oil first.

Speaking of oil, what have you been running in it? Hopefully an oil with a good ZDDP content.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Linbarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linbarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2020 at 10:52am
I have been running Shell Rotella with zinc additive, non detergent oil.

Thanks for asking. Should I replace the oil pump while the engine is out?
Barry Smith
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2020 at 12:47pm
Yes, I'd replace the pump. May want to replace the timing set as well. Cheap insurance. Your mechanic will likely recommend replacing all the usual seals - front and rear mains, oil pan, etc. It's smart to do while everything is accessible.

Don't order bearings until the engine is apart. If it has been rebuilt in the past it may already have oversize bearings and you will need to order the matching size. If the crank is scored and it needs to be turned, you'll also have to order a different size. Unfortunately this will slow down the rebuild by a few days, but there's no way to know what is in there until you can measure.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2020 at 1:00pm
On the plus side of all this it will give you a chance to clean the insides out and you can start using a detergent oil    Also measure the pumps clearances it may be ok and a new one close to unobtainable.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2020 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

and you can start using a detergent oil    Also measure the pumps clearances it may be ok and a new one close to unobtainable.

Plus 1 on the pump and the oil

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Linbarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linbarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2020 at 4:59pm
thank you for the coaching and information!
Barry Smith
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic