NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DOOE heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 11:33pm
gary if your just going to bolt them on no it's not worth it, if you spend a little and replace the exhaust valves then maybe, that's D0OE's to GT-40's. I was under the impression that one boat already had the gt-40's and you where working on another boat motor. I would take a look at the other boat motor that you think has D0OE too and make sure because if they aren't then a direct bolt on that one would be an improvement. The week link is the 1.45 sized valves on the D0OE's they need to be 1.60. alot of the auto guys use 2.02/1.60 valves in the D0OE's but thats pretty crazy and really tight and requires new pistons as well, 1.94/1.60 are about as large as you can go and they almost touch but don't and you can use stock psiton's. The 1.74's on the intake side are fine just not the 1.45 on the exhaust.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 11:42pm
Can you guys give me some feedback on a 1973 455 olds(stock) with a berkley drive...Any comments, do,s and don'ts.
Scott
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 12:14am
Chris...here's what I'm after! On the orange SN...I just want to get a bit more performce with out major $$$ spent! The 72 mustang has the gt40's(low hrs) on it now...those heads could go on the SN along with a better allum. duel plane intake(edelbrock performer or typhoon)and give me better than stock! The mustang could get the SN heads(what ever they are)or the D0OE heads.

Also...I will need to pull the engine on the SN soon(it needs the rear seal changed). I want to do a compession check first and after it's out inspect things to see what shape it's in...it seems to run well , but that would be a good time to do something if it soon would need any work! If the engine is tired I might as well have a fresh rebuild (balanced too) to go with the better heads and intake! If I am going to drop $1000-$1500.00 I would rather spend it on a fresh bottom! The 302 block I have sitting in the garage is in great shape...if it's better than the one I am pulling...then it could be the one to rebuild!
I will know in a few weeks!

Anyway...I think I have the answer for what to do regarding the heads! No real point spending the cash on the D0OE's!

Thanks for the that info. and of course the entertainment
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 9:29am
do the compression check before you swap heads because the compress will go up with the GT-40's so no since making it worse if the rings are going. When you do the compression test you might do a leak down test too, ,if you can get your hands on tester. If the rings are good and it's leaking thru the vlaves then a direct blot on won't hurt. If it is the rings then that need addressed first. Remove the top of the t-stat housing before you do the test. You want to determind where it is leaking so that you know if it's the heads or rings or gasket. Noise thru the carb or exhaust is the head, bubbles in the coolant is a head gasket, noise thru the oil pan is the rings. all of this refers to a leak down test and not compression. Also when doing a leak down test each Cyl needs to be TDC on the compression stroke before you test otherwise a valve can be open.

Talk to you local machine shop and see what he will charge you to machine the D0OE's and install 1.60 exhuast valves and leave everything else as stock. That shouldn't cost much more than a conventional head work, that way you would have another quality set of heads to throw back on the mustang and not loose any perfromance on it.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 9:54am
Chris...very good advice! Thanks!
stang

The Super Air

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 10:57pm
Gary: Thanks for starting this thread. 79 has been pretty calm lately and it was nice to see he can still get fired up. I believe he has been gettin' lazy living over in St. Pete. We all love the boat dr as well. Just was nice to see the "back and forth".

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 10:25am
And...I even got the info I was after!
stang

The Super Air

Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 11:39am
You have to love the tech info on the heads. Thanks guys.

I just wish I had a wife that talked about horsepower. Some guys are very lucky

By the way, no one won the war - both sides lost. I have great personnal interest in the civil war but this is not the site to discuss it. It falls into the politics and religion catagory. So ya'll knock it off before I am forced to defend my ancestors' actions.

Also, after reading all of the comments about the reunion I will not miss the next one! You will get to see JIH probably still holding his speedometer (no abbr here) in one hand and a beer in the other. I just hope I get the tranny fixed before I create an Exxon Valdieze type incedent on the lake. I am up to one quart of Dexron III per day. I just can't make myself pull my boat out of the water. (It is parked in my back yard.)

That's me and the grandbaby pulling away from my backyard dock on a bayou (located in a southern state). This is where the '68 stays parked. I drive it daily.

The dock you see across the bayou from the boat, is not mine, it's my across-the-bayou neighbor's. The tide was out when the pic was taken. The water is usually up to the fenders shown in the pic.

Just so you'll know, when the tide is up and the salt water comes in we catch speckeled trout, red fish, and big blue pincher crabs from the dock. When the tide goes out and after a lot of rain the fresh water comes down and we have to change our lures to catch ba$$.

The point of this post is to throw water on the fire by talking about the reunion, grandbabies, CCs, and fishing. Did it work?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 12:44pm
Jim In Houston,thanx for the pics,glad to see some of these old babes doing what they do best,give us joy,and to pa$$ iy on to our grandkids is priceless............what bayou are you on and where does it run to? i am about flamed out,just too old to take things seriously anymore.and i agree we all lost at that war....Ain't it fine to live on a bayou,did not think ya'll had that kind of boating over there,think of LA. bayous,cypress trees & alligators. Think of Texas cowboys,oilwells Lake Texoma,got a beautiful place there........ boat dr

cool boat too,and your choice of babes (grandkids are too cool)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 1:56pm
Boar Dr.
This is Chocolate Bayou. It is a short winding tree lined estuary that empties into West Bay which is just between Galveston Island and Freeport. It is a 30 minute ride from my backyard to the Bay and another 20 minutes or so to the Gulf (if the bay is calm.) I am about 40 minutes south of Houston. Life on the bayou is very cool. It has a lot of upside but you do have to tolerate misquitoes, snakes, spyders, and alligators. Whenever an alligator makes his way up to my back yard I go into self defense mode and deal with it in a way so as to protect the kids that come swimming, tubing, and skiing. I know it's against the law so put me in jail - I just couldn't live with myself if I watched a gator swim away with a kid in it's mouth.

I've only lived here a little over a year but now I would have a terrible time living anywhere but on the water. It's a great life style.

Sorry ti hijack the thread like this but somebody had to put ya'll out of your misery. Let's talk about heads.

I put a set of GT40Ps on my 289 and I am happy with them except for the loss in compression ratio. New pistons will go in on the next rebuild.

Do roller rockers really help with performance on these boats? No doubt they look awesome. Just how much friction do you get from standard rockers? Am I missing something here? Could it be that if you have to buy rockers why not get roller rockers? I can see that but I just can't see tearing down my engine with the purpose of installing a set.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2006 at 7:30pm
   While on the subject of roller rockers,I was just wondering if any of you that use them have ever seen them damage the top of the valve stem?I've seen it happen on a big block chevy,and I see it all the time on V-twins.These are actually roller tipped rockers,not the full fledged "rollers".Not a boat question,I realize...just curious.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

Do roller rockers really help with performance on these boats? No doubt they look awesome. Just how much friction do you get from standard rockers? Am I missing something here? Could it be that if you have to buy rockers why not get roller rockers? I can see that but I just can't see tearing down my engine with the purpose of installing a set.

J_I_H, im not sure how much RR's would help on a boat, but Im gonna find out soon. I bought a set of FRPP 1.6 RR's and will install them this winter. I understand I should pick up 10-15 hp due to the decrease in valvetrain friction. Also, the aluminum arms (vs stamped steel) should decrease weight which should help too.

Mike, Ive seen some pics of trashed valve stems as well. Ive heard that low quality roller rockers (bearings) can cause it, as well as improper geometry (if the tip is not centered over the stem). No first hand experience though.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 9:05am
Not centered over the tip due to the wrong length push rods/ bad adjustemnt, etc will mess up a valve stem but you should see less wear in general than the stock ones. Going a little more extreme on the ratio than stock can of course add some stresses as well. As for HP increase I don't really know because I put on new heads, exhaust, and ignition at the same time I changed rockers...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 10:58am
Losses from friction are converted into heat. What I am reading from ya'll is that it takes 10 to 15 horsepower just to overcome the friction created in standard rockers. I'm just having trouble buying into this. When you reduce friction there is no increase in energy produced within the cylinders, it's just that energy is freed up and allowed to be transfered to the drive line rather than be converted into heat in the valve train. Maybe there is an M.E. on the site that can convert 15 HP to BTUs of heat. In my simple way of thinking electrically, 746 watts = 1 HP. Therefore 15HP is the equivalent of (15 x 746) or 11,190 watts. It would take 112 100Watt light bulbs to give off that much heat. I think that would be enough heat to burn up your motor box. What am I missing here?

I still stand by my thinking that if you want to put roller rockers in your boat because they are pretty I think that's great. But I think claims of 10 to 15 HP increase from reduced friction are heavily exagerated. I could change my opinion but it will have to be explained to me as to why.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

Maybe there is an M.E. on the site that can convert 15 HP to BTUs of heat.

There will be soon. My buddy in TX just bought an '86 BFN and is picking it up tomorrow!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 11:35am
Jim,
   A problem with your heat analogy is that the rockers are constanly being cooled by the oil which in turn is being cooled by the circulation of water which is being dumped out the back so it wouldn't melt the motor box. I like to think of it more in the manner of how much torque of the total torque generated by the engine is being absorbed by the roller train vs the non roller train. Without checking my math I come up with at 5000 rpm you need to use about 15.75 ft-lbs of torque less than standard rockers to make up 15 HP. Is that in the range of possiblity based on how much less effort it takes me to turn the with rollers vs ball and cup and slide friction? Maybe but thats going to be effected a lot by the rise height and rate fo the lobes as well as spring rate etc... and how much of that holds true once the rpms go up and pressurized films of oil come into play with some crazy accelerations and hydralic dampening I dunno...

And thats the simple stuff un related to any possible effects on valve height opening or duration that would take a computer model for me to even begin to to imagine...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 11:50am
TRB..am not a M.E. but a search shows this conversion...15 hp =636.6 BTU/min. or 38196 BTU/hr. my feeling on this subject,if GM & FoMoCo were doing the same math there would be roller rockers on all production motors,a savings of energy,torque or heat would drastictly increase hp and an added 1 or 2 mpg.why aint they using them,roller lifters are the only change they have made,and i think that the reason for that was the heavy metals being removed from the oils(lifter failure) imho...........boat dr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 2:48pm
Joe, the torque required to move the rockers should be the same at all RPMs including zero.

By your numbers, if you put a 3' pipe wrench on the end of the crank shaft, an engine with roller rockers will require 5 less pounds of force to turn compared to an engine with standard rockers. (This should be measurable with a before and after test.)

I guess I'm just a non-beliver. Like Boat Dr said, if you could gain 10-15 HP I think we would see them on all production engines. I don't know of any production engines that come with roller rockers.

It looks like this argument will never end. I admit though, if I was building an 8000RPM engine with ultra high valve spring pressures and a super steep cam lobe I would install roller rockers in a heartbeat, for reliability. At high pressure the oil can get squished out and you can have metal to metal contact with standard rockers. Hence the need of roller type contact surfaces. Moving metal parts should always be seperated by a film of oil right?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 3:51pm
At 0 RPM I think you would be dealing with static friction once moving kinetic friction. The difference is probably negligible in the case of the rollers due to the very low contact area. However, with the standard ball and socket rockers it definitely takes a little more umphf to get them going. I have turned over both setups with a 18" breaker bar and they are significantly different in feel, I would say ten pounds of pressure difference is completely possible but I feel that test was biased against the standard rollers precisely because I am not able to smoothly turn the a$$embly over more than a couple degrees so its hard to overcome the static friction and get a stable feel of if after haveing to yank it to get it going. I think the lack of oil pressure is going to hurt the stock rockers more. But it is much easier, at least from a stop to turn the rollers.

As for production cars using roller rockers I think you find them on most mid nineties to current chyrsler 1.8 and 2.0 SOHC and DOHC engines (they are itsy bitsy but they are in there), the Acura RSX since 2003 when the turned the engine around, corvettes since the intro of the LS4 in maybe 94?, and the most popular production application is the GM/Isuzu Duramax Diesel I am sure there are more particularily with the little overhead engines.

I have a friend that runs a portable dyno business. I will ask him to look out for someone coming in to test the results of a roller rocker upgrade. Too bad that its a cha$$is dyno or I would be able to settle a lot of these boat motor performance quandrys a little more definitively since I seem to have these motors out every season...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 4:24pm
Learn something every day. I had no idea overhead cam engines had rockers. Thanks for the good info Joe. I have never had an OHC engine apart. Thank goodness.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 5:23pm
Jim and Joe in NY,here is a good phone# 586-468-1356 Ford Motor Racing(tech dept.) ask for Ray,he is a text book of knowledge on who,what when and where of small block Fords.most of my build info for my 331 came from his research and personal know how. just got off the phone w/him about the roller rocker issue,and here is what FoMoCo racing says....... our engine dyno shows no additional HP nor Torque gains or if so were so small to substantiate the cost,this is stock ratio rollers vs. stock stamped steel on the GT-40 heads.

boat dr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 5:29pm
Good info. Thanks. BTW, how do you make a 331 out of a 289?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 6:21pm
Jim,
here is my build:
1993 302, bore .030 add SRP flat top pistons add 1 Eagle rotating a$$y. 3.25 stroke, balance 50 oz. flwheel after you make it a 28 oz. notch cyl. (for clearance of the rod bolts)add good GT- 40 heads(64cc)good Cam Research bump stick,Edelbrock intake.add tender loving care ,stir well=350 plus HP and the reason for the trouble and expenseis 400lb. ft. Torque......... boat dr
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 10:04pm
JiH, north or south of Lute's? which side of chocolate? east or west? I'd love to find you there sometime and offer you a cold one.

This is a great thread.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 10:50pm
Dr. Iwas watching a truck show over the weekend and seen a 302 with a 348 or 349 stroker kit . They said it had 400 hp . Have you heard anything about that?

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 6:19am
Boat Dr. I know nothing about sizing flyweels. Are you saying that a stock flywheel weighs 50 ounces and you change it to 28 ounces?

The Dude. A cold beer sounds good. Let me know when you are in the water near Lutes and I will join you. These posts stay on the internet forever and telling the whole world I live on Chocolate is probably too much information.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 8:49am
p/allen the 331 and the 347 are the most popular builds,331 seem to have a longer life span tho,

Jim.. there is a counter weight cast into the flywheel,this is either a 50 oz.(old stuff,2 piece rear main seal ) or 28oz.(new stuff,1 piece ).
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 9:37am
The weight change follows the crank, if you have the 28oz crank, then you need the 28oz harmonic balancer (cheap because you can use automotive), and then you need the 28oz flywheel. But since you already have a 50oz flywheel which is expensive, marine specific and fits your starter etc its easier to have it rebalanced to match the off balance of a 28oz flywheel or flex plate.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 10:49am
Joe, we used the orig. h/b, the flywheel had to be drilled,most cost effective method.H/b is the same not marine specific,flywheel the same.could have used new style but was not sure till we sent it to the engine builder. 2 piece rear main seal used the 50 oz.the concern was the bolt pattern for the dampner,which by the way is the same as the pressure plate,no diff.other than the weight diff. The harmonic bal. does not know rotation,nor rotating a$$y. have a TCI,rattler dampner,took it off in favor of the timing marks and their proper location,no tape.your dampner controls vibration andthe angle of crank twist,not the overall balance of the rotating a$$y.........boat dr
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 11:02am
right on jim.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic