NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DOOE heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 11:06am
If you don't change your harmonic balancer then you cannot adjust your flywheel to match a newer flywheel you have to instead adjust your flywheel to some third configuration which could only be determined by spinning with the crank new crank and old harmonic damper together. For the 17 bucks for the new style harmonic damper I found it easier to just upgrade it and make the flywheel match, then if I ever had a problem with the old flywheel (not likely) I could just upgrade it to a new style (28oz) flywheel without rebalancing. Of course you could always change the HB in the future if you need a new flywheel.    The point is they switched the balance back in about 81 roughly corresponding to the time they switched from a one piece to a two peice but not exactly and the HB Crank and Flywheel all need to match or be professionally balanced in order for them to work. If you find a 28oz stroker kit then you don't need to change either the flywheel or the balancer.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 12:16pm
Joe,the eagle kits are 28 oz. compatable,but to go one step farther you balance the whole rotating a$$y. Houston Performance balanced this one to .5 grams,with this comes drilling and a certain amount of finess to get it into those specs.his idea is build it to spin 7500 rpm's regardless of the usage,the extra money spent on the .5 gram total =smoother ,quieter , longer life. i am very satisfied...............boat dr
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 1:12pm
I've read this 3 times and I'm still lost, I think. What I get out of it is that either the dampner has to match the flywheel or the whole a$$embly has to be balanced. But there is no performance advantage of one weight flywheel over the other. Correcto mundo?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 1:21pm
I just checked and those stroker kits cost more than I paid for my boat. I guess I will scratch the stroker kit off my list of possible future upgrades.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 1:51pm
Its not actually the wieght of the flywheel that the 28oz and 50oz refers to, its how much out of balance the internal rotating parts are by design (and I believe its really in/oz). Depending on how out of balance they are you need to have flywheels and harmonic dampers that are appropriately out of balance in the other direction to balance out the whole deal when it is all bolted together.

If your buying stock parts and not having the a$$embly balanced then you need to buy a matching set of all three,

In my case buy two of the three (crank and HB) in my case and have the flywheel changed by removing metal from it in the right spot so it matches a stock flywheels balance.

Or in the boat dr's case leave the damper alone, match it with the opposite crank and then take enough material out of the flywheel to balance the whole a$$embly, but to do that you actually have to balance the whole a$$embly.

(This is all really balance only in so much as if all the parts are within spec your vibration will be within spec at a certain max rpm but each engine will still have some imbalance unless professionally balanced)
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 1:54pm
Jim,2500.00 and they supplied the block,you supply cam and the chain. the dampner is the same,289,302,331,347,LH or RH rotation,the balance trick happens on the flywheel end, drill and spin ,drill and spin till ya git it right..........boat dr
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 1:57pm
Just for clarity there are 28oz and 50oz Harmonic Dampers and in general when swithing from one crank to another they should be changed unless your having the a$$embly professionally balanced
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 2:03pm
Joe i think the piston weight comes into play here also,overbore size,flat top or dish. also SRP,Keith Black ETC. they all have different weights...auto parts not as precise as outboard parts, a 2.5 litre Merc piston weighs the same regardless of overbore,ain't so with car stuff.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 3:26pm
Joe just talked to my machinist that balanced my a$$y,the flywheel i sent him was an older 50 oz. the drilling he did was to make it a 28 oz. when balanceing a new stoker he likes to have both flywheel and balancer off the old motor .......boat dr
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic