NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pontoon boat dash power

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pontoon boat dash power
    Posted: May-31-2020 at 4:33pm
I know some of you guys are closet pontoon boat owners (not that this is necessarily a pontoon boat specific issue) so maybe you can help me out.

Boat starts and runs fine. Gauges wor,k, but I have no power to accessories (multiple light circuits and horn) My fault I guess. I plugged in to power slot (lighter) an inverter. Did it all the time last year, no problem. Earlier this year, knocked out dash, but after a lot of jiggling and fiddling, power came back. Tried again last night. Lost power to dash, no recovery this time. Everything has its own resetable breaker, but none of those tripped.   Hard to trace anything as all wires are cabled up. Checked all kinds of terminals with VOM, but no power to anything, as best I can tell. MIght there be master breaker someone that I am missing? Any other ideas? I am just about ready to run a new hot from the battery and :"backyard hack" a fix. (I tried to find SweetwaterFan.com.... but apparently no such thing)

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2020 at 6:06pm
Larry,
Is there a fuse in the battery box? If there's nothing at the dash, trace back.

From a closet pontoon'r!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2020 at 7:55pm
You were close Pete, but not quite, but thats only because what you said makes sense and what they actually did is stupid. I knew there was no fuse in battery box because I had checked, but then I thought, no, they wouldnt, would they. So I crawled under the boat, (much like being in a sewer) and found a fuse holder underneath the floor. Why did they think that was a good idea versus by the battery or inside the helm console where you can actually get to it???? Anyway, that was it. Thanks.

Since I had to buy a pack of multiple 20s, just for grins, I plugged the inverter (for some cool under bimini decorative lights I happened to have around, but are 110 v 12) and it blew again. I guess the inverter is shot. Worked fine all last year. Hello amazon? (Probably silly to get another inverter since I can probably get a string of 12 V lights for less. (tho I also used the inverter for a blue tooth sound bar up in the bimini also. Hey, this is a first class red neck operation.)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2020 at 9:08pm
Larry,
Glad you found the problem and the hidden fuse.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2020 at 8:32am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Since I had to buy a pack of multiple 20s, just for grins, I plugged the inverter (for some cool under bimini decorative lights I happened to have around, but are 110 v 12) and it blew again. I guess the inverter is shot. Worked fine all last year. Hello amazon? (Probably silly to get another inverter since I can probably get a string of 12 V lights for less. (tho I also used the inverter for a blue tooth sound bar up in the bimini also. Hey, this is a first class red neck operation.)

Probably silly and also somewhat dangerous to get another inverter.

I'm not sure what you have for a setup but running 110 volts AC around on a pontoon boat probably with an extension cord and not a good AC grounding system is a pretty good way of increasing your chances of shocking or electrocuting you, some passengers or the dog etc.

Even a little inverter has plenty of capacity to kill you.

110 volts AC, water, aluminum handrails, wet people etc don't make for a good combination

In comparison, with 12 volts DC it would really take some big time effort to be able to get shocked or electrocuted.

You see boats like cabin cruisers, big sailboats with 110 AC systems but there's a grounding system installed and having to meet all kinds of requirements
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic