NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel sending unit/gauge

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel sending unit/gauge
    Posted: June-12-2020 at 9:57am
I have a 2002 196 and the fuel gauche is reading full at all times. I pulled the fuel sender out as far as a could a few weeks ago, disconnect the wires, and it started to work again. Unfortunately it has gone back to reading “full” at all times. I would like to test the unit before I spend $220 on a sending unit and the hassle of removing the back seat and pulling the tank to replace. I’ve read and seen videos on how to use an ohm meter to test but my sending unit and fuel gauge don’t have the terminals coming off to touch ohm meter to. Does anyone know how to test these before I spend the money? Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 10:34am
Todd,
The standard Ohms would be 33 to 240. Since you disconnected the wires there must be spots to use for the Ohm reading. The tank itself is the ground source for the circuit and the positive is feed to the gauge itself. Since the gauge is reading full, there are two possibilities. Ether the sender is shunted to 0 Ohms or the sender wire from the gauge to the sender is shunted to ground someplace.

Where are you shopping to come up with the $220 on the sender? Hopefully not at a dealer! Check it out and get back to us with the results and if a sender is needed we'll give you some ideas.

Regarding senders, the best way to go is liniear.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 11:59am
Todd

Assuming you have a 2 connector plug back at the sending unit, all you really have to do to determine if it's the sender or if it's the dash gauge and wiring back to the plug is to do the following:

With the key in the ON(RUN) position your gauge is always reading full is what you have for a problem., so

Turn the key to ON (RUN)

Unplug the connector and if the gauge goes to empty, the gauge and wiring back to the connector are good. and the problem is in the sending unit.

If the gauge stays pegged with the connector unplugged, you have a problem with the gauge or the wiring back to the plug.

As far as Pete's question on the price, just tell him your tank takes a "special" sending unit that's 11 1/2 inches long and it comes with a "very special" price

link

Maybe there's something out there that's the same length, but you can be close on length and be slightly less accurate for a lot less money, that would be your choice

Edit..........it's pretty easy to find an 11 1/2 at a reasonable price
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Todd
Unplug the connector and if the gauge goes to empty, the gauge and wiring back to the connector are good. and the problem is in the sending unit.

Todd,
Ken missed this scenario:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Todd,
or the sender wire from the gauge to the sender is shunted to ground someplace.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 12:21pm
After doing the above you can also take ohm readings between the pink and black wires in the connector at the tank if it looks like the sender is bad.

For a full tank the sender reads 33 ohms like Pete mentioned, so a reading of 33 ohms or less without a full tank (like around zero) says..................bad sender   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 12:26pm

Todd

Todd,
Ken missed this scenario:

Todd,
or the sender wire from the gauge to the sender is shunted to ground someplace.

No he didn't

If the gauge stays pegged with the connector unplugged, you have a problem with the gauge or the wiring back to the plug.

Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 2:14pm
Thanks for the quick replies!

Damn! The gauge drops to zero when the connector is unplugged. I was hoping it was going to be the gauge.

Unfortunately the fuel tank is "L" shaped so you have to use a calibrated sender to be accurate. Not sure how inaccurate a regular 11.5" would be.
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 2:41pm
btw. How did you know my first name is Todd?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Tbarile Tbarile wrote:

Check this out

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 3:05pm

Check this out

AAHH!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 3:34pm

Check this out

AAHH!

Todd,
Many here on CCfan go by first names rather than screen names. Personally, I feel it gives the site more of a family feeling. Plenty of good friendships made here and plenty of great times with those friends at reunions or just getting together.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 4:44pm

Check this out

AAHH!

Todd,
Many here on CCfan go by first names rather than screen names. Personally, I feel it gives the site more of a family feeling. Plenty of good friendships made here and plenty of great times with those friends at reunions or just getting together.

Thanks Pete!
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2020 at 4:09pm
UPDATE

The fuel gauge began working when I got close to empty. After an hour of running it stopped working and went back to full all the time. It has since worked intermittently twice. Yesterday it was working correctly at 3/4 tank but then went to Full at the end of skiing. Does this still sound like a band sending unit?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic