NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rolled the dice

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by burban65 burban65 wrote:

Peter - embarrassed to say but will admit I can't answer the question as to direction the engine was cranking

Ken hinted on the rotation:
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I won't ask a silly question like did the PO tell you it had a brand spankin' new starter or anything like that

Aw shucks Pete, I was just setting you up to ask "the question"

So Steve, if you're looking back at the engine from the driver's seat while you're cranking it over, it should be rotating CCW.

In standard marine engine terminology, a reverse rotating engine like your boat came with, rotates to the Right when viewed from behind meaning it would rotate to the left when viewed from the front.

If it's got a nice shiny new starter and it's rotating CW when looking from the driver's seat, the starter is wrong and you'd need a starter for a Reverse Rotation engine.

Let's hope for "prime it and turn the key" working for you
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by burban65 burban65 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback Ken!
I think I need to put more gas down the carb as I was pretty lenient the first time. I did not even get a slight pop of any kind.

I would recommend caution....only 1-2 tablespoons of raw fuel down the carb throat. You don’t want a hydraulic lock condition.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
LongLakeWI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongLakeWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 6:04pm
I hesitate posting here since I'm a newbie and really don't know *************** but I have an '82 SN2001 which is the exact same boat as the '84 (I believe.) The first year I had it I remember it just wouldn't start and i found the RED "reset" button on the back side of the engine pressed it not really knowing what it was and it fired right up. I hope you get her going and she roars down the lake on the 4th!
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 6:17pm
Michael............I was a newbie way back when........can't believe how many years I have been on this forum, reading post from all these guys and soaking in the fun and memories it has provided me.
I have a high degree of confidence I will get the boat running and any bugs worked out with all the input / support I will have from the group. Although I too poke and prod a few of the members more than others (you know who you are) I really respect them all and value their inputs as well as their forum presence. I was saying over the weekend if only so and so were here from CCFAN this boat would be running in no time at all.
And...........your red button input is noted.
SRB
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 6:56pm
Hey LLWI

You survived your first thread with mention of pulling tubes without any real abuse from the usual suspects.

And.............I hope your backseat turned out nice and cushy like this one in your second thread

Stick around, have fun and don't take anything too seriously

burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 12:08am
Update - Got the boat fired up Thursday night. As some of you thought it was not getting enough fuel. Ramp is only a few minutes from my house so I dropped the boat in the water and ran it for a bit. Temp peaked after a few minutes running and then came down to around 180 for a few minutes then went back up. I shut the boat down and let is sit for about 15 minutes and then fired it up again. Temp peaked again after a minute or so on the water and this time did not come back down at all so I shut it down and called it quits for the night.   Some questions.........any negatives to pulling the T stat and running the boat so see if the temp issue changes? I know the impeller was changed correctly so what would be next steps in temp diagnosis.......... is there a way to verify the temp gauge is correct? Temp issue aside, the boat ran well, no vibrations at any speeds (I did not push the limits only ran it up to about 25 mph), boat turned smoothly, boat slipped into reverse / forward well so nothing else major discovered.......so far. Boat idles way to fast so I need to address that. Appreciate any suggestions on next steps from the group.
Boat troubleshooting aside..........I hope everyone had a great 4th weekend!   
SRB
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 1:28am
It's really unlikely that a brand new thermostat is bad. My suggestion would be to run it on the trailer with a timmy-tee feeding it water, search here and you'll see it's a simple way to run your engine on the trailer, just a few dollars at the hardware store to set it up. When running on the trailer, you can see the water flow coming out the pipes, so you know you are getting good flow from the raw water pump. The advantage to the tee setup over a fake a lake is you aren't pressurizing the raw water loop, it's pretty much operating as if it was in the water.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 9:13am
What did your temperature peak at?

Since you put a new thermostat in, what temperature was it?

And for the silly question, did it get put in "pointy side up" ?

No thermostat for short term testing won't be a problem
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 11:20am
Thanks for the follow up inputs / questions Ken and David.
Ken - T stat was from Nautique parts - THERMOSTAT KIT – PCM FORD ENGINES – 143 DEGREES MOST ENGINES 1995 AND OLDER.
T Stat was installed in correct orientation..........I don't mind those type questions at all.
Temp gauge just maxed out to the right and stayed there (besides coming back down for a short time on my initial run).......not sure what max of the gauge is.
Hoping to get more time messing with the boat this coming weekend so will have more to share.
SRB
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 11:56am
Seems like the most likely possibilities are minimal cooling water flow, or bad sender or gauge. I'd check connections at sender and gauge. What gives me pause about that is that at one point it did drop to 180, meaning it is functioning to some extent. Again, I'd like to see adequate water flowing out the pipes first to eliminate raw water pump issues. Then pull the stat if you want to prove that out. Then look into sender and gauge.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 4:09pm
Thanks for the follow up inputs / questions Ken and David.
Ken - T stat was from Nautique parts - THERMOSTAT KIT – PCM FORD ENGINES – 143 DEGREES MOST ENGINES 1995 AND OLDER.
T Stat was installed in correct orientation..........I don't mind those type questions at all.
Temp gauge just maxed out to the right and stayed there (besides coming back down for a short time on my initial run).......not sure what max of the gauge is.
Hoping to get more time messing with the boat this coming weekend so will have more to share. Also, boat was idling pretty fast but would stay running and not cough at all but would cut out / die when trying to apply throttle.......wondering if bad gas (tank was full when I got it) contributed to that condition or if I should be looking elsewhere to address that issue???
SRB
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2020 at 11:41am
All,
GREAT to be back on the site......I was so needing some feedback from the group over the last few weeks.
Quick update - drained the old gas out and put 10 gallons of new fuel in the boat,  Replaced fuel filter and.......boat is starting and running fairly well.  I did take out the T stat and took a 25 minute spin on the lake.  Boat was idling high so I adjusted that a bit.  Temp was running around 140 ish and maintaining.  Boat was taking on some water (more than normal quantities).  Questions I have now:

1) Any potential severe issues that could arise if I continue to run the boat without the T stat?  For whatever reason boat temp pegs out when T stat is in (per prior post I did try a new T stat and it was placed in proper orientation)
2) Taking on water - looks like both "channels" where the starboard / port exhaust sit and run out the back are taking on water as soon as I lower the boat down into the water off the lift. Assuming this is from the bellows at the stern of the boat but not sure.  I have felt around them and they seem to be intact.  Appreciate any input from the group on this one.........sealing, replacing, where else to look etc...????  I need to pull the floor back off and run the boat back out on the lake for a bit to see if water is coming through the shaft / packing as well.

Appreciate any / all feedback from the group on the above.

SRB
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2020 at 12:29pm
Couple things-
Check/tighten all clamps on the exhaust system hoses. 
Since t-stat is out, put it into a pot of boiling water and watch it (hopefully) open.
Since you're close to ramp, remove any rear seat/center floor/rear partition and launch. Don't start.
Watch and locate where water may be entering.
Just spitballing
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic