Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rolled the dice

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rolled the dice
    Posted: June-12-2020 at 5:14pm
So............if by chance someone would buy a 1984 2001 that has not been ran since the end of the 2018 boating season (in the Midwest) what items besides the below would you feel should be checked before giving it a battery charged key turn (with fake a lake on) and then maybe a drop in the lake for a ride.

1) Impeller change
2) Thermostat change
3) Oil and filter change
4) Check tranny fluid (change?)
5) Check / change plugs
6) Carb cleaner?

Abbreviated back story - boat was owned by same family since 1987 and was winterized properly and maintained by a mechanic.

Appreciate any inputs the group would have on this one as I have had some risk / reward conversations with myself a few times over the last few days on this subject matter.

SRB
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 5:24pm
I wouldn't call it absolutely necessary, but pulling the plugs and rolling it over for 10 seconds or so with the starter will circulate the oil and you'll see it build pressure on the gauge.

You're taking the plugs out anyways   
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 5:33pm
Keno........I will add this to the list..........Thanks!

SRB
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 7:12pm
I would also check all hose clamps for tightness & also do an alignment.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 7:46pm
Noted and added to the list.........Thanks Chris!
SRB
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2020 at 11:07pm
No reason to change the thermostat, unless info was given that it’s bad.
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 12:32am
Thanks Paul.........was trying to do "easy" items just to be proactive but understand your take. . I bought the boat without hearing it run, driving it etc.... so am a bit excited to say the least to play with it some. Boat and trailer are original, floor and stringers are very solid so I took a chance based on the owners feedback that it ran well when they put it away. I have the annual in laws / family gathering next weekend at our house so spent this weekend getting the house, outside, boats etc... ready for that so I only got to look at the new "toy" parked in front of the house.. My goal is to have it ready for a test run by the July 4th weekend.
SRB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 9:59am
I would check & lube the impeller put some fresh gas in it hook up a bucket and hose and see if it run's.
Then start with the preventive or necessary maintenance, no sense putting the cart before the horse. IMO

By the way I bought my 2000 Sport with out hearing it run, no big issues and the price was right.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 10:24am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I would check & lube the impeller put some fresh gas in it hook up a bucket and hose and see if it run's.
Then start with the preventive or necessary maintenance, no sense putting the cart before the horse. IMO

Plus 1. I've started boats up that have been laid up for 5-6 years plus without any problems. Agree to getting it started and then take a look at what's needed and that's without doing anything to the RWP. Squirt some gas down the carb throat for a prime.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 12:49pm
Thanks for the inputs Paul / Pete! The PO had a new impeller (still in package from Nautique Parts) in a box in the boat so I am probably going to go ahead and put that in (that is within my skill level) and then prime it a bit and see what happens with the hose hooked up and running.. Quick check yesterday showed that the oil level was right on and oil looked good. Tranny fluid looked very good and level was right where it should be. The anticipation of how this is going to turn out is all part of the fun.
I sold my 85 awhile back and getting this 84 has just reminded me how much fun the chase, purchase, and messing around with the older (80's era is my sweet spot) CC's can be......right down to the unique smell of taking the cover off.
I know most people on this forum understand those feelings.
SRB
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 12:57pm
I know that some may consider this to be over-kill, but oil pressure and cooling problems are 2 of the fastest ways to kill an engine. As such, I would change raw water impeller, thermostat and temperature sending unit. As for oil, you mentioned an oil change. I like the higher flow oil filters -- particularly the K&N. I would also change trans fluid as peace-of-mind. If you don't know when the carb was last rebuilt, that may be a good project to consider. A carb re-build is not expensive and is not very difficult to do.    Cheap insurance in my opinion.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I know that some may consider this to be over-kill, but oil pressure and cooling problems are 2 of the fastest ways to kill an engine. As such, I would change raw water impeller, thermostat and temperature sending unit. As for oil, you mentioned an oil change. I like the higher flow oil filters -- particularly the K&N. I would also change trans fluid as peace-of-mind. If you don't know when the carb was last rebuilt, that may be a good project to consider. A carb re-build is not expensive and is not very difficult to do.    Cheap insurance in my opinion.JQ

You are correct: Over kill
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 3:13pm
Gun Driver advised new gasoline. Great advice. Old gas can make your valves stick in your cyl heads. Then you face engine overhaul or at least a valve job.
Today’s fuel is safe for maybe 6-7 mos. If older than that dump it.
If your tank is only 1/4 full today you could probably fill it with premium gas drive a little on the trailer to mix it up and be ok but fresh gas is needed to avoid problems.
WE NEED PICTURES!!!   It should be easy to get this boat on the water next weekend.
It is best to change your oils and adjust the hose clamps when they are warm or hot.
Stiff cold hoses don’t seal well.   Impellers are cheap and yours has been sitting two years plus it may have run before that, change it. Pictures!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 3:17pm
Over-kill is a symptom of BOD ( Boat Obsession Disorder). I got it bad...

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 3:43pm
check the belts for dry rot, wear, excessive play and tighten or replaced, check the plug wires as well. check all hoses and the clamps that hold them on. When some winterize their boats, they loosen the belts to take tension off the pulleys, and raw water pump, etc, so check tension as well.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 4:19pm
Drive it like you stole it. !!!!!!!
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
onebigdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onebigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2020 at 10:18pm
After you run it with the fake lake, take the input hose off the transmission oil cooler and check for crap than can clog water flow through the cooler..
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 12:06am
Finally got some time to play with the 84 this weekend. Put the new numbers on, changed the oil, filter, impeller, new battery and T stats as those items are within my skill level. Went to fire it up and....................turned over but will not fire. Had spark at all the plugs, gas going into the carb when the throttle was pumped (poured gas in the carb before initially turning over. Condition reminded me of a lanyard off type situation that I have experienced with my newer Nautiques. I remember the 85 I had, and sold, had a master power fuse but did not see anything like that on the dash. There was a switch below the Nav switch (pic enclosed) that I could not figure out what it was for. Brochure here on the site did not help me. I got frustrated and called it quits. I am very week when it comes to mechanical troubleshooting and will not pretend otherwise thus would appreciate any / all inputs from the regulars on the forum. as to what I should try next.
Besides the boat not starting it was fun crawling around and messing with it, cleaning it up etc.... The garage in front of the house out on the street was a bit warm at times but not complaining about good weather. For the most part the boat and trailer are all there so it should be fun to play with for a bit (after I get it running) before deciding next steps.
I did take a few pics so I would not catch flack from you guys but I am still working on zipping them down to size to get them posted............will keep trying.
SRB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 12:29am
Safety kill-switch lanyard in place? You'd be surprised how many times this has confounded folks...

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 12:47am

/Users/owner1/Desktop/84 dash switches.png
SRB
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 12:53am

SRB
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 1:04am
JQ I have been burned by that (lanyard off) on my 05 before so can relate. I do not see anything like a lanyard on the 84 though. Puzzled as to what that switch below the Nav switch is........see first pic above.
SRB
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 2:00am
Originally posted by burban65 burban65 wrote:

Puzzled as to what that switch below the Nav switch is........see first pic above.

That second switch down is the infamous unlabeled spare switch that feeds...............nothing.

It's come up numerous times here on CCF

It comes from the factory with a hot feed into it and no wire on the outlet so you could use it for whatever you wanted or just leave it as is.

A dive under the dash would tell you if a PO used it for anything
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 2:34am
If there was a lanyard or anything resembling a lanyard, it's function is to kill the spark by interrupting power to the coil. (Different from a fuel injected boat that might kill power to the fuel pumps instead) This isn't your problem, since you have spark at all the plugs and there's not a lanyard anyways.

Not being there, I'd guess that maybe you didn't pour enough gas down the carb throat to prime it or..........maybe too much and it was flooded.

If it ran at the end of 2018 and you're getting spark it should at least start.

I'd turn the key in the morning and see what happens. If it doesn't start, pump the throttle a couple of times and try again.

I won't ask a silly question like did the PO tell you it had a brand spankin' new starter or anything like that

burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 11:16am
Thanks for the feedback Ken!
I think I need to put more gas down the carb as I was pretty lenient the first time. I did not even get a slight pop of any kind.
I am optimistic that my next round of playing with the boat (probably not until this coming 4th weekend) will go better.
And thanks for the info on that switch!
SRB
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 11:33am
When you checked the plugs for spark, were any of them wet with fuel?

When you go to try it, don't pour gas down the carb first, in fact if your accelerator pumps are working, and you said you saw them squirting gas when you pumped the throttle, then you shouldn't need to pour any gas in. Pump the throttle a few times, turn the key and see what happens. Good luck!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 11:33am
Steve,
Which direction is the engine cranking?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 12:39pm
David - no wet plugs
Peter - embarrassed to say but will admit I can't answer the question as to direction the engine was cranking
SRB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by burban65 burban65 wrote:

Peter - embarrassed to say but will admit I can't answer the question as to direction the engine was cranking

Ken hinted on the rotation:
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I won't ask a silly question like did the PO tell you it had a brand spankin' new starter or anything like that

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 2:25pm
Pete..........Noted on your input and Ken's hint. Will update the group when I revisit later this week.
SRB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic