Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 Zero oil pressure. Ticking engine. Help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2020 at 8:29am
Okay I didn’t understand what bearings you were mentioning but after watching a couple plastigage videos I can do that
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 5:17pm
The two bearings I pulled looked fine and very smooth. The crank looked perfect, and checking the tolerance with plastigage was perfect at .0015”. I pulled the furthest forward main bearing as well and it was still covered in oil and looked perfect. Torqued everything back down. New oil pump arrived today shaft should be here tomorrow. I will slap the pump and shaft on and throw it back in for the fourth!

My guess is that a small piece of oil pan gasket silicone got sucked into the pump? I was in a hurry last year putting the oil pan on...

Posts with gt-40 in the title get more responses..
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 11:28am
Dropped the engine back in last night. Confirmed good oil pressure with a drill before hooking everything back up.

Went to try to start it up and when i turned the key i get nothing. No click no nothing. messed with the solenoid for a while. i have 12V at the starter but i didn't have anyone to turn the key for me while i checked the other wire to the starter.

Im going to scrub all the grounds and the battery terminals, and try a different battery, but if I had at least a "Click" i would have somewhere to start.

Does anyone have an suggestions on what to check with no click? would this suggest the ignition? or ground?

Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 11:31am
Is the transmission in (clean) neutral? Sounds like a NSS issue.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 11:36am
I disconnected the trans cable and made sure it was in neutral. I will try to just jump the NSS to see if that is the issue.

Thanks
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 1:48pm
I'm assuming with key on you got normal dash power, gas gauge reading, etc.? Doubt the battery is the problem, or the connections, since you were running right until you lost oil pressure and connections are new since you reinstalled the engine.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 7:14pm
This is getting very frustrating... I have 12.7 volts at the battery cables at the back of the engine as soon as I mount the ground to the bell housing I loose my 12.7v but the gages are on. Is there a ground wire that goes somewhere else? I have one for the battery cable one on the male side of the wiring harnesses one on the female side and one that I cut and wire nutted with the dui swap.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 7:19pm
I just got the starter to turn by jumping from the battery/big wire to the starter post to the little wire to the starter post
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 8:50pm
Cameron,
How about some better terminology instead of "big wire" and "little wire"

Here's some help:

Also, how clean are your battery posts/cable terminals? Are you using a battery terminal post wire brush type cleaner?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 11:00pm
Have you checked the main breaker?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 11:24pm
Since this is a Hydrodyne that had the ProTec system originally and you converted it, the drawing above may or may not be very accurate for your boat.

Sounds like one of those situations where you need to be there in person to figure things out
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2020 at 12:11am
It’s the breaker! I jumped the breaker and turned the key and the starter turned! Can I find a replacement for this breaker locally???
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2020 at 12:14am
Seems like I could just find a 30 amp breaker and wire the a side to one end and the dash feed and alternator output to the other??
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2020 at 12:19am
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/automotive-rv-and-marine/recreational-vehicle-parts-and-accessories/rv-electrical-equipment/85765?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkuWftcCt6gIVhsDACh21ywvREAQYASABEgKxgPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Would this work?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2020 at 12:50am
You talking about one of these? link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2020 at 8:18am
Originally posted by camron18 camron18 wrote:

This is getting very frustrating... I have 12.7 volts at the battery cables at the back of the engine as soon as I mount the ground to the bell housing I loose my 12.7v but the gages are on. Is there a ground wire that goes somewhere else? I have one for the battery cable one on the male side of the wiring harnesses one on the female side and one that I cut and wire nutted with the dui swap.

If you have the main breaker open/tripped and have power to your gauges like you say, then you have some wiring issues somewhere.

With the engine OFF and the main breaker open you shouldn't have power to anything at the dash

The starter and the solenoid on the back of the engine would have power and like you mentioned you could jumper the wires at the solenoid and the starter would turn over, but you'd have no power to the coil to make the engine run. That would be your "big wire" and "little wire" you mentioned.

But.......if jumpering around the breaker gets you going, putting a new breaker in will work and you could figure out the other issues later since you probably had them before

Here's an original ProTec wiring diagram with a 50 amp main breaker so if you were to find a 40 or 50 amp breaker to replace yours with you should be good to go

The 30 amp you linked above would work. It may not be "marine rated" for spark protection though.

camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2020 at 6:28pm
So now I’m trying to set the timing... as soon as I let off the key the boat dies... snore wiring issues... if someone wants to give me a call and chat about wiring I would love some help as I’m running out of patience... 616 634 7368

Maybe it’s the ignition switch???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2020 at 6:37pm

Maybe it’s the ignition switch???

What's the VOM (volt Ohm meter) telling you? Volts to the coil when the switch is in the run position?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2020 at 7:59pm
New ignition switch now in... sorry Pete. Same thing. I’ve reset the timing 10 times now with no change. It runs as long as I hold the key to start, even if I give it more gas, as soon as I let off the key it dies, I have 12v to the coil on the dui. With the key on.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2020 at 11:53pm

New ignition switch now in... sorry Pete. Same thing. I’ve reset the timing 10 times now with no change. It runs as long as I hold the key to start, even if I give it more gas, as soon as I let off the key it dies, I have 12v to the coil on the dui. With the key on.

I seem to recall hearing about this issue that related to the safety lanyard. Maybe bypass it to rule it out.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2020 at 2:13am
So I finally got the timing right and it started and ran with no problem, but then I went to shut it off and I couldn’t get it to stop! I ended up pulling the spark plug wires off quickly because I was almost out of water in my bucket! I finally found the battery cable at the solenoid was touching the “I” terminal that supply’s the voltage to the distributor. So after a bunch of messing around I was finally able to set the timing. I have no ticking and good oil pressure! We will see how the weekend goes! Big thanks to Ken and Rob for giving me a call and helping me get the the bottom of these wiring issues! It was one thing after another with this one but I think we are good to go.

Thanks guys!
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2020 at 1:47pm
Best possible ending. This is what makes CCF So unique.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2020 at 1:54pm
Nice work, Congratulations on your win! And no engine damage is huge.
Mark
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2020 at 2:03pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2020 at 3:09am
Well done, lad. You dodged a HUGE bullet. Go out and buy a lottery ticket.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2020 at 7:31am
I want to say good job too, but I think I'll wait until Cam posts here that the boat is running well under load in the water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic