Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rh distributor help

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
chessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rh distributor help
    Posted: June-29-2020 at 1:48pm
I have a 1974 Southwind with a 351 Ford with reverse rotation (RH) engine. It has a Mallory YL554FV, the distributor has failed due to broken parts and I can not seem to find a source for a replacement. From what I have read right hand distributor are not available anymore new. I have found new and used left hand distributor’s, and AAA Marine makes a right hand gear that would convert a Mallory to a right hand. In reading post here I am confused as to whether I can convert a left hand distributor to a right hand distributor properly. I have also posted in the wanted section hoping someone would have a old distributor. Any help on this for distributor’s or parts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ike
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 1:57pm
Your lucky day....

Right-hand or reverse rotation distributors are still available. Not cheap, but available. The link below will get you a new R/H high energy ignition distributor for your Ford based 351W engine.

Link to distributor

(You will also need new plug wires)

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 3:03pm
JQ likes to spend money..............his and yours

If you've found a marine LH distributor for a 351w, then the only thing needed to convert it for a RH engine is the gear. Everything else is the same.

If your old gear is still good, you can remove it from the old shaft and put it on the replacement distributor.

The Mallory shaft takes a .531 inch ID gear so you want whatever you might be thinking of buying to have the same shaft size.

A Mallory or Prestolite for a 351W have the same shaft size, but something like a Pertronix distributor for a 351W has a .500 inch shaft and AAA marine , who you referenced may or may not have a .500 inch gear in stock.

You should check the depth of the gear when installing it, you can find info on installing a 351W gear on the internet or ask here and you'll get pointed in the right direction

I guess what you do depends on how much you want to spend
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 3:07pm
Ike,
Rebuiding is also an option What's broken in the distributor?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 3:17pm
How about one of these and just change the gear. Bet you could not get yours rebuilt for that price
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I’m trying to stimulate the economy during the COVID-19 slow-down. Also, DUI has me on a 20% commission for dizzys sold to CCF members.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I’m trying to stimulate the economy during the COVID-19 slow-down. Also, DUI has me on a 20% commission for dizzys sold to CCF members.

JQ

You must get more for the RED ones I imagine
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 3:44pm

JQ

40% commission for RED
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 3:59pm

JQ

40% commission for RED

We're all in trouble now, you learned how to make the letters RED or did you cut and paste my RED ?   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 9:37pm
My 3 year old granddaughter showed me how.

"No Papa! You do it like this..."

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 10:21pm

JQ

I've got one of them too
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 1:30am

JQ

I've got one of them too

Those little cuties are pretty neat. They are way more fun than my own kids...

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
chessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 12:33pm
Thanks for the prompt reply sorry for my delay, busy day. I had read about the DUI distributors and it is definitely an option. Definitely burn a whole in my pocket.
I am still hoping to salvage my old distributor or find older one and change the gears. Always a problem when buying used...you never know what your getting.
Thanks Ike
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by chessie chessie wrote:

I am still hoping to salvage my old distributor or find older one and change the gears. Always a problem when buying used...you never know what your getting.
Thanks Ike

Whats wrong with the one I linked above ? You want to buy a used one when 69 dollars will get you a brand new one ???
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
chessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 12:55pm
Gary,
   I have looked on eBay and have found several. I also have an outlet for a new Mallory at not a terrible price. Thanks for your suggestions.
Ike
chessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 1:02pm
Pete,
    This distributor is designed that the rotor and cam can be moved to any position. The clamp that holds it in place is broken and I can not find a replacement parts. I tried brazing the shaft to the advancement plate and that opened another whole can of worms. I am still trying to repair this one but looking at options, just in case I can’t.
Thanks,
Ike
PS. I have been on this site for a long time but have never contributed. Can you give me an idea of the average/ normal amount should be. Thanks again
chessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 1:19pm
Keno,
    Thanks for your reply. I have looked on EBay as Gary suggested and have found several LH rotation distributors. I also have talked to someone at AAA Marine and was told they do not a .531 dia. Gear in stock. Would you have any other source(s) as to where I might the gear needed. I also have looked on the internet and found very good installation instructions for the new gear. I have looked into JQ’s suggestion do the DUI unit but it is very pricey. I guess sometimes you need to add up the cost of buying used distributor, plus the gear and what others thing arise to add to cost, you could end in same price range. I would like to stay with the points ... Call me the old fart but points have always served me well.
Thanks again
Ike
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 4:11pm
OK, I'll call you an old fart

So with that said, it probably takes another old fart to figure out what parts you need.

Here's a picture of the advance plate and the clip that I think you're talking about, along with the points cam.

I don't have the hollow shaft that the cam mounts to , but maybe yours is still OK or salvageable.

Let me know if these parts would be of any use to you.

I don't think you'll argue with the super low clearance price

it's a freebie, just let me know
chessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 10:39pm
Keno
You have the exact plate the clamp is a little different but work the same. I have the shaft fixed to the plate and tomorrow will put the cam on hope I get it in the right position . Wish I had posted earlier would have save a lot of headache. All I needed was that little clamp. Thought a spot of brass would the job instead the heat cook the adhesive on the
cam and would not adhere to the shaft.
Thanks for all your help
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 1:46am
I have a composite gear for the ford 302 (.467 shaft). If you are interested, I can open one up to .531. I believe that would be the same gear. KENO can correct me if I am wrong.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 7:37am
Originally posted by Mille1sj Mille1sj wrote:

I have a composite gear for the ford 302 (.467 shaft). If you are interested, I can open one up to .531. I believe that would be the same gear. KENO can correct me if I am wrong.

Nothing to correct

And Chessie..............the parts are your's if you want them.

The cam is usually just a press fit on the shaft on a Mallory of that vintage.

It takes a small puller to get the cam off and it presses back on
chessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 3:38pm
Keno
   I think that there is not specific place that the cam goes on the shaft. On this one it seems when I heated the shaft there was material that came from the shaft. The cam just slides onto the shaft not loose but also not requiring pressing. I plan on putting locktite retaining compound but want to make sure I get the cam into the right [position, I have searched the web with no luck. Can you or someone help on this question.
Ike

Keno I will PM you
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 11:13pm
Hi Chessie

Got the PM

There's not really a specific place for the cam to go on to the shaft but the cam and shaft assembly which can rotate in the center hole of the plate need to be locked down with the tab so that when the points are open the rotor is pointing at the terminals inside the distributor.

You don't want the points to open and have the spark trying to go to two terminals at the same time which it would do if the rotor was pointed in between terminals.

The easiest way to do this is with the cap on the distributor draw a line with a Sharpie etc on the body of the distributor under the center of each plug terminal.

Then take the cap off and with the cam clamped in place and the points installed, rotate the shaft till the points are open and see if the rotor tip is pointing at one of the lines.

If it is you're good

If not then you loosen the clamp and rotate the cam assembly to where the rotor tip is pointing at a terminal with the points open.

Kinda hard to explain and may take some trial and error. It's a bit of a pain because you have to remove the points plate to get at the clamp.

Here are a couple of pictures to maybe help

The top picture shows the markings on the body under each terminal

Second picture shows the points just starting to open and the rotor pointing at one of the marks. Extra stuff like the condenser and wires were removed just to show the rotor tip and markings more clearly.

These pictures were of a same era Mallory that I've never adjusted from where it was set..

Most distributors like a marine Prestolite for example don't have this adjustment capability.

Some people would say it's a fine tuning feature while others would say it's just one more way for somebody to screw up their distributor if they're not sure what they're doing   

chessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2020 at 8:54am
Thanks for everyone for the help and to Keno for the part we are up and running.

The dist, broke last year and I swapped out from engine was rebuild so was not down. Made lots of calls to find part with no luck Then posted here and found them this is the power the site

Thanks again and thanks to Keith for all the hard work to keep the site going

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2020 at 8:47am
Glad you're up and running Chessie.Wink
redtoybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redtoybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2020 at 5:44pm
Hi,
I just read your post, and while I can't answer your post, I have a very similar issue and maybe someone can help me. I have a 1973 CC
Nautique that has a 351W Ford (Palmer Marine Conversion) and has a Mallery Distributer YL555DV. This engine has Reverse Rotation.
I need a new distributer. Does anyone know where I can look for a replacement?
chessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2020 at 7:48pm
Check summit racing dui dist Rh ration pricey but an option or you could check with illiniball2000 he was going to replace his with dui old one was Malloy with pertronix convention hope one of these will help
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2020 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by redtoybox redtoybox wrote:

Hi,
I need a new distributer. 
d*ck,
Why? What's the problem with the one you have? Just being very curious. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2020 at 7:15am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by redtoybox redtoybox wrote:

Hi,
I need a new distributer. 
d*ck,
Why? What's the problem with the one you have? Just being very curious. 

This is scary, I'm thinking just like Pete, wondering why a new one is needed Wink
redtoybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redtoybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2020 at 11:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic