Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The HEI distributor in a 351 Ford

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
inglesideshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The HEI distributor in a 351 Ford
    Posted: June-30-2020 at 11:23pm

After a summer of ignition problems, a couple coils and a new pertronix... Ive decided to put the DUI distributor in and eliminate the old coil with the GM style HEI distributor. My plug wires were new already and just had to get the new ends for the cap. also put a new pigtail on to connect the wiring to the cap on one plug. New auto light #24 plugs gaped at .055 to.. and if you look close the pertronix had a rub mark were it was hitting the magnetic eye. mabe the distributor has to much slop in the bearings? or it was swelling up.. who know but its coming out ...
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 11:27pm

anybody ever see the magnets start to come out of the eye? and it would seem that the plastic piece on the rotor would hold it in.
1989 nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 7:44am
I remember reading somewhere about someone who had 3 magnets fall out, found them and glued them back in.

Only problem was he got them in backwards so the polarity was wrong (North and South on the magnets didn't match the other five) and he had an engine that ran on 5 cylinders.

Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 1:46pm
Not saying it is a common problem, but I've been dealing with some pertronix issues of my own and read this in the manual:

"Should you have a situation where the magnets have come out of the assembly, return the unit (or magnet assembly only) for REPAIR UNDER WARRANTY. If you try to repair the assembly Yourself, you may render it irreparable, which will void the warranty."

Might be happening enough that they felt it needed addressed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 8:49pm
Im wondering how the eye moved that much to hit the rotor.. and im gona call petronicx and see if they will send a new rotor.
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 8:58pm

old and new
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 9:09pm

timings set at 10deg and a total of about 29.. it starts perfectly, and the throttle response is good. other than putting the new plug wire ends on it was a easy swap and fit nicely.   
1989 nautique
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2020 at 8:39am
I have done this on three of my 351 engines . I am very happy with all of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic