Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 94 Sport PCM 5.8 HO Carbed hard starting when warm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

94 Sport PCM 5.8 HO Carbed hard starting when warm

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jpeck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jpeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 94 Sport PCM 5.8 HO Carbed hard starting when warm
    Posted: July-05-2020 at 11:26pm
I have a 94 Sport with the PCM 5.8HO with the protech ignition. My issue is that I will be out riding and my engine will warm up and if I turn it off and wait more than 20 min it has a hard time starting. I have no issues if I momentarily turn it off to pick up a skier in the water and turn it back on. it's just when I'm sitting with it for extended periods of time w/o the engine running. I thought it may be either a badly tuned carb or my ignition system is going bad. Any thoughts???
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 1:57pm
My old 1994 the similar symptoms. Hard starting when warm. That eventually worsened to intermittent hard starting regardless of conditions. Then, ProTec suddenly failed altogether. No warning, it simply shut down in the middle of a ski run. That earned me a tow back to the marina....20+ miles away.

ProTec parts are NLA so you may want to do some reading on this site regarding retrofitting back to a distributor and removing ProTec. Many look at ProTec as “not if, but when” it will fail. Good system when it’s working, but.....

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 2:37pm
I would be looking at all possible causes (including a drippy carb). Not to say that Protec can’t be suspect but it would be a bummer if a $500+ retrofit didn’t solve your issue.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 3:02pm
Indeed, as been said
Are you just cranking at idle forever or doing something with the throttle?

Joe i see you are 20. thats great. we grew up eating carbs for breakfast, its all we had., but might be foreign to you.

Next time it happens, pull the pin and hold it to the boards wide open (reverse is more effective with an MV2 helm) , hit the start then pull the throttle back to neutral as soon as it fires. If this clears it up quick and gets you on the way, then its just loading up with fuel after shutdown with some heat creep into the carb and line, exacerbating a leaky needle/seat ., and less about electronic ignition components . If it still wont fart, one can focus with more clarity on the ignition components
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jpeck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jpeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 8:06pm
Thanks for the input! I can get it restarted, and I do so by pulling the transmission control and putting it wot and it kicks back to life, then put it back to neutral. Is this something I can fix via carb rebuild??
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 8:47pm
Joe,
You're dripping gas into the engine causing a flooding condition. The WOT is overcoming the gas by allowing more air into the engine. Yes, a carb rebuild should solve it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jpeck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jpeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2020 at 1:05am
Sounds good thanks for the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic