NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1987 Barefoot Nautique fuel consumption

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
straylight View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1987 Barefoot Nautique fuel consumption
    Posted: October-02-2006 at 5:57am
Hi all,

i am looking at a nice and clean 1987 barefoot nautique with 454 big block. Could anyone of you give me hints how much fuel these boats take in a mixed wakeboard/surf/skyski/barefoot-usage?

TIA,
Tom
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 9:30pm
A lot. I had an 87 Supra with the 454. I never tried to measure fuel per hour but I know I spent money on gas. My current 351 is not fuel injected and still does considerably better fuel wise. I'm sure your BN is lighter than my supra was, but it will suck the fuel.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 3:22am
Hi,
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

I never tried to measure fuel per hour but I know I spent money on gas.

thanks for you answer. I read things like 5gal/h when going wakeboard speed. That would be okay. I would do a lpg-conversion anyway and could accept a lpg consuption of aprox 7-8gal/h.

Thanks again,
Tom
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 7:32am
what is the price per litre in Germany Tom?
   Eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 7:47am
Hi eric,

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

what is the price per litre in Germany Tom?

you don't really want to know...

At the moment the price actually went down a little and sits at a mere €1,20/l for 91 octane fuel which is $5,6/gal
Regards,
Tom
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 8:50am
at one point we hit $3.00 per gallon then they drop the price and you think your getting a deal, bait and switch
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 8:54am
Tom,
Unfortunately, big motor, more gas... When looking at the BFN, it's a matter of torque, speed and that relates to fun/hour.. You don't need a 454 to wake board, but if you have a chance at a CC,and are lucky enough to be able to afford gas period in Germany, then go for it and don't look back... Happy boating

Moj'
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 9:41am
Hi,
Originally posted by Mojoman Mojoman wrote:

Unfortunately, big motor, more gas...

of course , but what exactly will be _more_... Will it be 5gal/h or 10 or 20???
When a$$uming something like towing a single wakeboarder at 20-22mph, having about 1000lbs on ballast and 3 people on board - what will it - roughly - take?

if you have a chance at a CC,and are lucky enough to be able to afford gas period in Germany, then go for it and don't look back...

Running this boat (or any waterski-boat) on gas in germany would be a little heavy on the wallet, but with an lpg-conversion the fuel price drops to a third

Happy boating

Thanks

Tom
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 10:03am
It won't be that bad unless you insist on filling the boat with ballast, you will pay for the ballast.

If you run gas, make sure the PV is NOT open at your typical boarding speed and load.

Measure manifold vacuum and make certain the PV is indexed to a number LOWER then the measured vacuum.

Optimal jetting and timing are critical to decent fuel consumtion. When its right, the difference between the engines fade, because energy in = work out becomes truer.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 10:18am
Hi,

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

you will pay for the ballast.

okay, sure.
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

If you run gas, make sure the PV is NOT open at your typical boarding speed and load.

Measure manifold vacuum and make certain the PV is indexed to a number LOWER then the measured vacuum.

Optimal jetting and timing are critical to decent fuel consumtion. When its right, the difference between the engines fade, because energy in = work out becomes truer.

sorry, but i do not understand What is "PV"? "jetting" is the carburator adjustment and "timing" the ignition timing? Of course these have to be right for an engine to run efficiently.

Thanks,
Tom
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 10:44am
Nope. PV is power valve and jetting is the bra$$ orifices in the metering block, not the air screws.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 11:03am
the jets drive how much gas flows the power valve adds more under heavy loads. If you are converting to LPG then are you replacing the carb or using it in that application? If your using the carb I would think a jet change is a must to flow the right amount of LPG
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 11:08am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

the jets drive how much gas flows the power valve adds more under heavy loads.

okay, thanks
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

If you are converting to LPG then are you replacing the carb or using it in that application?

after a simple lpg-conversion the carb is bypa$$ed and the amount of lpg is determined by the negative pressure of the engine.

regards,
Tom
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 3:14pm
I'm not an expert but here are my thoughts on the matter anyway.
The 454 will add a little bit more weight which will increase fuel consumption marginally. Otherwise, all things being equal, I don't think it will make that much difference. With a larger engine, you have the option of a reduction gear and different sized prop which would require the engine to turn fewer rpms for the same pull/speed. With a smaller engine you may need to run near wide open to get the results you are looking for. With an appropriate sized engine/tranny/prop, you may only need to turn 3000 rpm, which would mean less fuel consumption actually.
Like always, driving conditions are probably the biggest determinater of fuel economy. If you've got a heavy hand or if you run at wot, you're going to burn a lot of fuel, even with a V6. With the 454, you'll just be going faster or getting there quicker.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 3:24pm
one of these days your going to see diesel powered ski boats, I cant wait
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 9:40pm

Already there. Session (an offshootof Regal I believe) has been offering diesels in their boat for a year. Also, some guys in Australia have posted photos of a diesel (I thought it was a swedish motor) which they put in an 06 Super Air Nautique. Apparently Australia has pa$$ed a law that all commercial boats must be diesel. Since these guys run a ski/wakeboard school, they were required to install a diesel. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 10:44pm
the day has come, diesel power in a ski boat
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 10:53pm
Brian: If anyone had the scoop on that type of info, it would be you. You are a wealth of info on little known stuff.

New Mom doin' ok? Time is gettin' close!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 3:20am
Good morning,
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

Already there. Session (an offshootof Regal I believe) has been offering diesels in their boat for a year. Also, some guys in Australia have posted photos of a diesel (I thought it was a swedish motor) which they put in an 06 Super Air Nautique.

have a look at this link:
Volkswagen marine engine
At the last "Boot" (Boating trade fair in Germany) i spoke to some of their engineers and they claimed, that this engine will need half the fuel of any equally powerfull traditional engine.
The problem is, that the surcharge for this engine will around $15.000,-...
Imagine how much gas you can burn for that amount of money
Regards,
Tom
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 9:40am
our government wont allow volkswagon to import the tdi jetta because of poor emissions, but the car gets 50 miles per gallon at that mpg how can you produce emissions. we did many diesel re-powers and even built a 47 foot cougar with 3 3196 cat engines about 900hp each and we held and hold many endurance records with the boat.one is toledo ohio to buffalo new york, we buzzed accross lake erie in 3 hours 54 minutes in 4 to 6 foot waves we averaged 68 miles an hour with a top speed of 92 we were promoting off the shelf products that were available to the marine industry (no hi-perf stuff) but were just at the begining of diesel technology, they have that duramax diesel pumping 650 lb ft of torgue that is unbelievable, this is the kind of torque you need to spin props
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 1:15pm
straylight, what percentage of the cars in germany are diesel powered and what kind of fuel economy do you see from them?? diesel power is just starting to catch on over hear in the US i believe in 10 to 15 years from now at least 50% of our cars over here will be diesel powered. I believe the audi diesel powered car won the world rally. a diesel powered ski boat would be way to go. on the boat i ran (47 foot cougar) when spun those engines at 2650 we had step ups instead of reduction and you did not need a throttle man for over-rev, when we came out of the water the prop speed stayed the same because of the diesels. On one other re-power we did on a 1978 38ft Chris Craft, we pulled the big block chevys ans installed 3126 caterpillars(inline 6, 420 hp) the end result was 15 knots an hour more and cut the fuel consumption in half, plus you could run those things constantly with no fear of destruction unlike gas engines
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 2:04pm
Hi eric,

straylight, what percentage of the cars in germany are diesel powered

i don't know about the overall percentage, but 70% of all newly registered cars are diesels.

and what kind of fuel economy do you see from them??

Usually over here people need about 25% less fuel when running a diesel engine. I guess in the United States and the rather heavy speed limits the gain will be slightly more. I once drove from cologne to hamburg one way with a bmw 525 on gas and back with an audi a4 2.5 tdi on diesel and the mpg was about double with the audi...

a diesel powered ski boat would be way to go.

I am not sure about that. Over here nearly all larger boats are running on volvo penta or mercruiser diesel engines and therefor these engines reach high enough production numbers to be sold rather cheap. Diesel engines capable of pulling wakeboarders and waterskiers do not reach these numbers and therefor are still way too expensive - see volkswagen marine. The pity is, as long as they are that expensive not a lot people will buy them and therefore those numbers will not rise...

on the boat i ran (47 foot cougar) when spun those engines at 2650 we had step ups instead of reduction and you did not need a throttle man for over-rev, when we came out of the water the prop speed stayed the same because of the diesels. On one other re-power we did on a 1978 38ft Chris Craft, we pulled the big block chevys ans installed 3126 caterpillars(inline 6, 420 hp) the end result was 15 knots an hour more and cut the fuel consumption in half, plus you could run those things constantly with no fear of destruction unlike gas engines

Exactly this is why so many people over here with larger boats are running them on diesels. But this is usually a very low and steady rpm usage.

Ragards,
Tom
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 2:38pm
In 2000, after a trip to Europe, I was very intriged by the hot rod Diesel Pa$$at and was thinking about buying one but then I found out it wasn't available in the US. All they sold here was a Jetta with a small TDI. Then the EPA started talking about lowering the sulphur levels in Diesel fuel. At the time I predicted that would send Diesel fuel prices to $3/gal. Well, I didn't realize gasoline would be right there too. Anyway...
I agree about the Diesel in a wakeboard boat. Stick the engine in the back with a v-drive and there wouldn't be a need to pump in 1000 pounds of water. Diesels produce great torque at low rpm, can take abuse, and can run on used vegetable oil!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 3:11pm
There was a post on Planet Nautique regarding diesel power in a wakeboard boat, I believe the same one Brian was referring too.

Pretty interesting.

Diesel Powered SAN
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 3:34pm
Yes, that's the one Chris. Didn't have time to go find it. Also, have seen ads in Wakeboard magazine for the diesel powered Session boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 3:49pm
That's a pretty slick looking set up. Yanmar has some engines in the 300HP, 4L range with some pretty impressive torque curves. A Cummins or a Power Stroke or the Isuzu Chevy is using would be a beefy option (probably overkill). I'd stay away from any pre-Duramax Chevy.
I think Diesel is a natural marine choice if for no other reason than the safety. Don't have to worry so much about fuel vapors exploding.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 4:58pm
overtime you will discover with the introduction of diesel into the pleasure marine market that a gasoline engine does not belong in a boat(long term) in a car a gas engine see's full power about 18% of the time and in a boat its up to 90% of the time. the big three are gearing up for the diesel revolution which with time and ma$$ production will make them affordable and gas engines will be a thing of the past, manufacturers are starting to use aluminum blocks with iron sleeves and cutting the weights down on the diesel engine and they are producing more power everyday
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 5:50pm
I don't have any hard numbers, but I've got an '88 BFN and can give some anecdotal info. We put a 725# sack in the back and a 440# sack up front. My boat fills up w/about 24 gallons. When we go out we usually get at least four sets in (2 riders 2 sets each). I'd say on average I fill up when the tank is at 1/4 and that's about every third time out. So I'd say we use about a 1/4 of a tank each time out. Like I said, none of this is scientific, pretty much a gut feel. My advice is do it. You won't necessarily be happy about the gas $$$ you have to pay, but you won't regret it.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 12:25am
My 87 BFN burns 3-5 gallons per hour depending on what we are doing. For the most part wakeboarding skiing closer 4.5 gallons when we start tubing it gets like 3. But we always have plenty of fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic