Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Issues with new rebuilt transmission

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sideshow1057 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sideshow1057 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Issues with new rebuilt transmission
    Posted: October-04-2006 at 8:07am
Yesterday I got my boat back from the shop with a rebuilt Borg Warner direct drive. The problem is that I have to get the RPMs pretty high before the transmission engages. Once moving the transmission runs great, but not very idle for starting a wakeboarder. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment that can be made to fix this?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 8:53am
no adjustment, either the pump is wore out, regulater valve stuck, cooler fitting in the wrong spot,bushings wore out, o-ring cut. you need to put a gauge in the system and see what kind of psi your getting, give us some history on the rebuild.......
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 8:56am
also my advice to you, is take it back to the shop, the problem is not going to get any better   eric
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 9:29am
Eric is probably right but before I pulled it out I would try removing the cable getting someone else at the wheel and go back and shift by hand and see if you still have the problem, if it goes away adjust your cables if it doesnt pull it and take it back.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 9:56am
hopefully they checked that on re-install, well hopefully not, that would be a nice easy fix, make sure the shift lever is detented into the ball on the transmission in forward nuetral and reverse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sideshow1057 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 11:28am
Thanks for the help, I hope it is the easy fix winter is coming quick and I have missed too much of the season already.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 1:06pm
Check your cable. There is a lot of adjustment in the threaded part on the end of the cable.
Tim D
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 10:18am
This sounds like the cla$$ic throttle cable adjustment error. Most people incorrectly adjust the throttle cable with the throttle lever in the neutral straight up positon. The CORRECT way is to disconnect the cable from the carb or TB arm, place the throttle lever in the forward, idle position (ie. tranny engage, engine at idle). Then, adjust the cable at the carb/TB arm.

Try this at home, you will be amazed at the difference in static position (at the carb) when doing this.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 10:44am
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

This sounds like the cla$$ic throttle cable adjustment error. Most people incorrectly adjust the throttle cable with the throttle lever in the neutral straight up positon. The CORRECT way is to disconnect the cable from the carb or TB arm, place the throttle lever in the forward, idle position (ie. tranny engage, engine at idle). Then, adjust the cable at the carb/TB arm.

Try this at home, you will be amazed at the difference in static position (at the carb) when doing this.

I agree, but it could also be the transmission cable that is out of adjustment. That may make more sense since the tranny was just rebuilt. Try disconnecting one cable at a time to see which solves your problem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sideshow1057 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 9:14pm
Thanks everyone for the guidance. I was a little unsure what to do, but a quick modification (a little grinding and drilling new holes) to the clutch cable mounting bracket and I was good to go. Issue resolved and the rest of the season saved.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2006 at 9:42am
I do not want to be a kill joy, and I am very happy you are good to go. BUT....

Do I understand correctly, that you modified the cable attachment at the transmission shift lever? Seems to me that if the transmission was engaging in gear at all, then the original cable position was doing the job and problem was in the throttle cable adjustment. With an improperly adjusted throttle cable, the throttle plates will definately open up BEFORE the transmision is fully shifted into gear (forward or reverse). Again, not adjusting the throttle cable with the control lever in the forward (in gear) idle position is incorrect and CAN (mostly likely) cause the problem you were having.

So, I could be reading your post incorrectly, but it seems you compensated for the out of adjustment throttle cable by moving the transmission shift cable.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2006 at 9:56am
I actually think that he compensated for an out of adjustment shift cable by changing the shift cable mounting bracket location a bit, dont know why he couldnt just adjust the end of the cable but hes probably cool...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic