Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford Wrench ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford Wrench ???
    Posted: October-04-2006 at 3:24pm
OK, it seems like there is no perfect tool for adjusting the shaft packing, and it has been brought up to get a "Ford" wrench because it has a smooth, no toothed grip. What does this thing look like, so I can go and tool up my own and sell it to Skidim ???

Mine is chewed all the hell from the PO.. There has to be a better way then pipe or monkey wrenches...

Moj'
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 4:03pm
I used a large cresent wrench and a large pair of chanel locks.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 4:21pm
Consider making some short-handled wrenches from Aluminum bar stock.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 4:39pm
I've used a combination of a BIG cresent wrench, big channel locks and a pipe wrench. The best I've found is two pipe wrenches. I bet the chewed up nut is the result of too small a pair of channel locks.
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 5:13pm
This is what I mean.. There are several favorite tools to adjust the packing. I can tool a forged wrench no problem if I get an idea of the perfect tool you'd want to use...

Suggestions..??

Moj'
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 6:07pm
How about using an adjustable slip nut wrench.

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-55343/Detail
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 9:42pm
I believe Mojo is asking what would the perfect tool look like, if it existed. I think he owns a casting or forging business. BKH
Livin' the Dream

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 9:57pm
how fancy do you want to get dave? That's if you want to make a special purpose built tool?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 10:29pm
Dave; If you make a special tool, I'll buy one.

I need a new tool for my packing as well.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 12:11am
I could say all kinds of things about jbear's post but for the sake of good taste I will not.

My packing nut is only hand tight - go figure.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 12:52am
Thanks for the respect J_I_H. No more speedo jokes from here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 7:24am
what size is the does the hex have to be?

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 7:34am
Yes, Brian is correct I run a company that specializes in metal O.E.M. parts. I can make the perfect tool for this if I know what to make. What I mean by this is if there is a perfect tool or tools for this job, I can get it done. Since it certainly seems like there's nothing like this sold, I could draw it up and send it in for review and quotation.

79', JBear, offer away, what would be your answer for a tool to adjust the packing nuts..

Moj'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 7:54am
basicly what you need are two tools or a tool that does both. One a mini pipe wrench to hold the collar and another ractheting type wrench for the packing nut. Let me take a look at the packing gland on the old hull at my friends house I'm heading there today anyway and I thing it's still there an hasn't been striped off of it already. Now Dave you might have to pay royalities or buy the design if your going to patten it and ma$$ produce it, that is if you like the design I come up with haven't design anything in a couple months so that while be a good fresher coarse for board work since I don't have a cadd package to use and hate autocad lite.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 8:11am
Hey Moj, A ford wrench is all I use on my shaft packings. I have two of them from working on airplanes for the last 15 years. I used them on fuel lines and hydraulic lines on the big engines. Anyway bottom line is "google it" Type in ford wrench and the first website at the top of the list shows you a great picture of one and an option to to order it. I just looked on ebay and they have several. Even have the ford script writing on them (hince the name I guess, kinda like allen wrench). They work great. No need to go to alot of trouble in designing one.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 9:10am
Buy the royalties or patents to what Chris? I'm not sure I follow you.. Our tool division makes millions of open ended box wrenches. There is no protection on design of an open ended wrench.. Isn't that all we need to do here (well that is if CC used like size packing nuts over the years). Why the need for an adjustable wrench at all, they just chew up the bra$$... Hell these wrenches don't even need to be forged and heat treated, I can make a stamped steel, zinc plated wrench to perform the function of snugging up the packing and jam nut. Tensil strength really isn't needed here right?..

Morfoot, Thanks for the reference on the "Ford" wrench.. @$26 bucks for one, I'd be able to see you a set of 5 open end wrenches.. Again, isn't that utopia here? (using a wrench made to the correct OD of the nut)? Something simple, inexpensive, etc...

Moj'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 11:39am
Dave I was jurking you a little but was thinking of a little more complexed tool.

as I see it you need something to hold the collar has you loosen the jam nut then tighten the packing nut. Never realy had an issue with using a pipe wrench and large channel locks, just use the right pressure and you don't cut up the bra$$ when it doesn't slip.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 1:37pm
I recently switched to the "gortex" packing from DIM. Hand tight and no drips or heat. I gotta agree w/ 79, it doesnt need that much pressure on the jam nut to snug down the hand tight packing nut. Is anyone putting the safety wire back on? Big channel locks and a pipe wrench works for me.
WackyWillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WackyWillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 2:09pm
Mo: Your on the right track with a Ford wrench
If you don't know what a Ford wrench is then you'll never know you ever needed one in the first place, so just keep on using your pipe wrench. For that matter, a chisel and a hammer will get the job done too.
JJ's seein' it right.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 3:15pm
I googled "Ford wrench"...that's a monkey wrench!
You could make a fixed size stamped steel wrench but I doubt you would sell many. You've got a limited market. Plus, I don't know but I would guess the nuts are larger on the 1-1/8" dia shaft compared to the 1".
With that said, it would definately be cheaper for someone that does not have pipe wrenches or large channel locks lying around. Maybe in addition to selling them to DIM and the like, you could sell them to Correct Craft and other inboard manufactures to include in a kit. Maybe instead of stamped steel you could make the wrenches out of polypropylene or something along those lines. You can mold the tool to the right thickness so that it slips off the nut at the right torque to prevent over-tightening.
I still wouldn't buy one, I'm happy with two pipe wrenches. And I second the Gortex packing and will eventually switch to a drippless seal. Just my thoughts.
WackyWillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WackyWillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 3:32pm
Here's one in good shape on ebay item #120038384657 for a couple bucks. This stupid little wrench will open to about 5 inches like a crescent wrench will. No need to buy new. Go get it boys
JJ's seein' it right.
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2006 at 11:02am
Try tapping the little nut on the edge first with a hammer to knock it loose before you go wrenching, I have used that method to budge mine that were corroded from salt water, then I just use channel lucks, the Jersey has 2” shafts so must other wrenches would not fit. I eventually got tired of drippy logs and water in the bilges and replaced with PYI’s PSS.   Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 11:09am
Seafit makes a adjustable packing nut wrench. West marine #290280 at about $10.00
2fat2ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2fat2ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 1:37pm
I bought 2 of the adjustable packing gland wrenches from West Marine about 6 years ago and use them all the time on customer's boats. They work FANTASTIC! Everyone should have a couple in their tool boxes. They make a sometimes frustrating job go rather easy. I throw them in my small tool box and go to the lake and adjust the packing on the water. Once the drips stop. I come back to the shop and safety wire the nuts together with stainless safety wire.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 6:00am
The packing nut wrenchs are the only way to go especially if you are trying to get through one of the small round access plates in the floor. The other thing is you don't end up with nuts looking like they have been chewed on by a bronze beaver! You guys with the pipe wrenchs, chisels, and hammers, do you also use channel locks and pliers on decorative nuts? Pete
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 8:27am
Thanks for all the info.. I'll Check out what West Marine has.. I was just looking to see if someone actually made a wench for this specific purpose..

Moj'
'88 nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '88 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2006 at 10:36am
Will you post the telephone number or web address for West Marine please.
Thank you..

Brad
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2006 at 2:58pm
Website is: www.westmarine.com
Greg

86 BFN
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2006 at 5:54pm
This does look like a great tool.

Packing Nut Wrench

Like pete said, if your trying to go through the access hole it would be perfect. But at $13.00 each + shipping, I'm going to continue to use my big adjustable wrench and big chanel locks. worked good for me before, just have to be carefull
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2006 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

But at $13.00 each + shipping, I'm going to continue to use my big adjustable wrench and big chanel locks. worked good for me before, just have to be carefull

Oh come on Randy. We're talking about the chance to buy a new tool for no other reason than because we can. Go for it. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic