NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ding in hull

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ding in hull
    Posted: October-07-2006 at 4:20pm
OK, I f'ed up thursday when I took my boat out for the second time since i got it. when i was pulling it on the trailer i was not straight and hit something. I didn't think it was a problem until today when I looked at it. there is a chip (about two inches long by 1/4 inch wide) in the gel coat about 18 inches down from the front eyelet (the one you attach the trailer turnbuckle to) right on the "V" of the hull. I was going to put it in the water today and take the kids out for the first time. I asked the local marina and they said I should fix it before putting it in the water. They sold me a product called Marine-Tex Epoxy Putty. It is white in color. I realize the color may not match perfectly but you cant really see it unless you are looking under the boat. they said they can order matching color patch from a company in Washington state.
Has anyone used this Marine-tex stuff? I went ahead and told them to order me some of the color matched stuff from washington. I am thinking of using this Marine-Tex stuff on the bottom, and using he other stuff on a couple spots on the top that need repaired. I would like to try to get it in the water tomorrow, probably be the last chance around here.

I have read that the Epoxy is stronger than the other.

What do you guys think??

Thanks

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2006 at 4:39pm
here is a pic:
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2006 at 5:03pm
Randy... I don't know much about the epoxy stuff.

But... by the looks of that scratch I'd say fix it this winter. Take the kids out for a ride while you can. It looks like it hardly made it thru the gelcoat... I'd say the integrity of the fibergla$$ is fine. Enjoy the boat. Just my opinion.

Joe
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2006 at 5:40pm
If you're running in fresh water, and if you're not going to leave it in for more than the afternoon, don't worry about it. Get the right gel coat repair materials and fix it in the winter. DavidF is very good at these things as are some of the others. They can give you advice on what is the best material and method to use for your patch. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2006 at 5:42pm
P.S. I don't know how you would hit that part of the boat on the trailer. My guess is that the trailer was too deep in the water. Once you hit the bottom of the hull on the bunks, it should lift up and guide the boat so that the bow can't hit the trailer. BKH
Livin' the Dream

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 9:02am
It looks to me that the trailer wasnt deep enough and he hit one of the cross members on the trailer back by the axle.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 10:44am
Randy...marine tex will work, however it would be hard to match and it's possible that flex in the hull may cause the repair to give up. I have used that product before.

A much better way is...use a gelcoat paist product that you mix the color and get the closest match. For temp fix... you can always seal it with resin.
I agree with the others...not worry about it for now.

The BEST product IMO, is the Minicraft of florida gel putty! You can buy a color wheel and get real close with a match. Down side is...mim order is a pint(thats a bunch more than you need $80.00). I was able to match a Salem Orange on a 72 using the color wheel.

Also...as others have stated...trailer not deep enough. You can wrap the cross members with bunk carpet a tie it off with heavy duty zip ties! No more worries...cheep fix thaat works!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 11:16am
Originally posted by p/allen p/allen wrote:

It looks to me that the trailer wasnt deep enough and he hit one of the cross members on the trailer back by the axle.

Pat

I was leaning that way as well pat, except that Randy mentioned he was sideways. It's pretty hard to get sideways on a trailer when it isn't in the water deep enough. I suppose anything's possible. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 1:15pm
i have used the Marine tex in the past. Its very strong and will do the job BUT, color match is tough. The original Marine Tex color is much brighter white than the CC silver cloud (white). You will be happier with the matched gel.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 2:24pm
Marine Tech will work as long as the repair is not deep(it won't flex and can crack)...Randys srape is barely to the gla$$ and not deep.It would most likely do the job.
stang

The Super Air

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 9:00pm
I went ahead and put the Marine-tex on it last night. I figured it was under the water line and you would never notice the color difference. the stuff seemed to work great. I just taped off the surrounding area preped the spot, mixed up the marine-tex (I used the whole thing, didn't want to try to guess the amount of hardener to add). I left it overnight with a heat lamp on it and sanded it lightly this morning. the color match wasn't too bad. you would have to damn near lay on you back to see it any way. I took it out today, took my twin boys out for the first time. they were thrilled! They can't wait to be pulled behind it! probably the last nice day we will have around here for awhile.
I'm still not sure if the trailer was too deep or not deep enough. I had the water covering the top of the wheel wells. Last two times I had a hell of a time getting the turnbuckle to reach the eyelet. I'm thinking it may have been too deep.

Stang- I like the idea of the carpet on the cross members, I may have to do that.

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 9:12pm
randy...soundin good man! If you are too deep, you can swing over a fender and maybe scape the hull!
Usually...(most ramps)we have the top of the trailor fenders right at the water line(level).
stang

The Super Air

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 9:18pm
Another tip....most folks drive the boat streight in and power it on. I do it a bit differently...I come in slow and streight(like the others do) but hit reverse lightly ,stopping right where I can reach out and grab the guide pole... I use the pole to center up where I want it, shift my wieght to the middle and power it up until it spots at the bow stop! I never screw up that way!
stang

The Super Air

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 9:26pm
Thanks for the tip stang!
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 11:30pm
Stang, that's a good way. It's best to let it rock in the cradle and set up before pushing it up on. I know Chris doesn't like the power on, but man, that's so much faster and easier than getting out and cranking...

I got mad at the ramp today. It was really busy and a guy just tied his boat up and went up to get his truck. 4 women were in his boat (and don't get excited, none of them would be too welcome in my boat) and they all just sat there having a party while he blocked on whole lane of the ramp. My wife went and backed our trailer in where they were docked and they yelled at her, and she told them to move their boat (which of course they couldn't). She did it just to help them learn when the ramp is busy, you don't set up camp in one of the lanes!

I mentioned the same thing to them on the way out. They got the double whammy from us.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 11:58pm
At the ramp...thats were you really see the the dumbest of dumb sh-ts! I've seen them sink there,loose them off the trailer...and some good brawls!

I have this one buddy and his wife...slickest
system on the ramp you will ever see. As she is backing in...he's already powering on...she starts to pull out when he is 90% on and he powers it the rest while she is pulling out....turns the engine off right as they are heading away up the ramp! It's about a 15 second process max!
stang

The Super Air

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 12:33am
Stang,
Our system is pretty close to that. I love it when folk are out in the other two lanes trying to get their boat on or off the trailer and we just WHACK, are out of the water. You can see them looking at you going, "How'd they do that?"

I made Rochelle learn to put the boat on or back the truck in either way. Working on my son too. I want them all to be able to do each part of the system so we never have any reason to tie up to the dock like those clowns today were.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 12:43am
You should have seen us all at Lake Shelbyville for the mini fall reunion! It was bing batta boom with 7 inboards! It was like..."don't try this at home kids, these guy's are professionals". Everyone was out in a jiffy...cool to watch!
stang

The Super Air

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 10:26am
Sorry I am late to this party. Randy, glad the Marine Tex worked out for you. If it happens again, may I suggest the following:

1. Go ahead and use the boat as often as you want before you fix the blemish. Just make sure you thouroughly roughen up the blemish and clean with acetone before doing the repair.

2. Fix with gelcoat. Afterall, that is what you lost. Most all marine stores sell gelcoat touch up kits. The hard part is matching the color, but women are better at this than men. The kits usually have gelcoat paste which is bit easier to work with for the novice. Gelcoat can be tinted to any color whereas I am not sure about the Marine Tex product.

Glad you got it patched up satisfactorily. If you need details on how to patch with gelcoat, give me a shout. It really is fairly easy.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 10:52am
David- better late than never! I ordered some of the gelcoat paste that is supposed to be color matched to my boat from the local marina. I have a couple chips on the top I want to fix before I buff it out this winter. Do you have any tips on using the gelcoat paste?

Thanks!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 10:56am
First time out on the boat for the boys! (first time on any boat actually)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 10:59am
I don't know why that pic didn't work...? I'll try again...
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 2:34pm
hey randy, just spoke to Dan at Vandevere he called to say high and gave me his number down there 800-311-7694 give him a try for your cc parts if needed, he's a good guy
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 3:17pm
Thanks Eric. I will be sure to give them a call when I need something. I did not realize they were a nautique dealer. Do they sell parts out of the Arlington rd. location? I drive past there everyday on my way home from work.

2fat2ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2fat2ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 3:34pm
No, Randy. We operate out of the West Market St. location. Not too far away from there. We became the C.C. dealer in November, '05. We offer full service and parts, as well as new and used sales. Give us a call if you need anything, or email me at danm@vandevere.com. I've known Eric for a few years. He gets ALL of my trans work. No one is better or faster than Eric and his guys. Thanks for the great words Eric! We appreciate it! Dan
Certified Correct Craft and PCM technician
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 4:15pm
Dan- I know where your at, I will give you a call if I need anything. I am putting the number in my phone now... I didn't know you guy's dealt in CC. Thanks

2fat2ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2fat2ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 4:25pm
Randy, No Problem! Anything I can do to help. Yes, we're the C.C. dealer here in NE Ohio. Our new showroom and pro shop are under construction as we speak. The dry wall is up and we're waiting on the paint. Let me know your email address and we'll send you our scredule of events. We have a nice party coming up close to Christmas, kind of a customer appreciation party. We hope you can attend. We'll have good Christmas gift ideas you can ask the wife to get you. Dan
Certified Correct Craft and PCM technician
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 4:25pm
I used photobucket this time, upload on this site doesn't seem to be working...

Me and the boys

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 8:53pm
Great shots Randy!!!! Day on the lake... the twins and Dad...nothing but big smiles!
stang

The Super Air

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 9:05pm
Randy, Great shots, the boys will never forget their summers on the boat.

PS. Your files didn't upload because the are too large. 114K there is a 35K limit. Try the 3rd one again, only 32K, I bet that one will go.

Dan, welcome to the site
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic