NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New 540 "Banged Up" already

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 540 "Banged Up" already
    Posted: October-08-2006 at 10:17am
I took my Dad out in the boat yesterday. Beautiful fall day, calm water. The boat ran awesome. Just as I was about to load my boat on the trailer "bang, bang, bang". Yes, my second time out with the new ACME 540 and it's bent up already. I hit where people power up their boats and leave a sand/rock bar. The lake was extremely low due to milfoil treatment. In my 20 years boating there, I've never had an issue at that ramp.

What's the drill, ship it directly to ACME? What's the charge for repairs? One blade got it the worst, but it's not too bad.

Next spring, I'm going to have the church bless my boat. I can't catch a break!!!

Ken
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 10:26am
look on the bright side ,you spent some time with your father and it was a beautiful day out priceless right..... put the repair on your visa
"the things you own will start to own you"
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 8:38pm
     Ken, sorry to hear that, but dont let it slow you down!!! Its a part of boating life...

Jeff...
hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 9:14pm
...I was in your position just a couple of weeks ago. Like the other guys said, get it fixed and forget about it.   
Heath
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 10:44pm
Ken; It may be time to give it up for this season. Winterize and put her away and start fresh in the spring.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2006 at 11:57pm
Ken.
I can sympathize with you.. I tagged a prop and the strut a month ago...

At least theres no big hurry right now..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 8:43am
Mikes Prop shop.Did a Bang up job on my 540.Most guys do NOT have the blocks for this prop yet.Mine came back looking like new.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 9:40am
Thanks, guys. Yup, I'm going to winterize it and put it away. I'll start looking forward to 2007. The good news is that I met a bunch of great people this boating season. I'll deal with the prop over the winter.

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 11:23am
Ken, that sucks to hear about the new prop. I did the same to my Acme at our boat launch this year. I havent sent mine out for repair yet- Im still trying to decide if I want to add more cup. I have the contact info for Mike's prop shop at home. Im also considering sending it back to Acme to have it repaired. Lots of time to figure it out this winter.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 3:00pm
Tim,

I'm going to ship it directly to ACME Marine Group for repair. I couldn't get the nut off the shaft. I'll have NECC take it off for me. Yes, we have the whole winter to think about it. Better luck next year!

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 3:25pm
Ken, you should be able to get that thing off on your own- its not worth a trip up to NECC. Block it off with a 2x4 if you have to and get a good wrench on there.

I know Acme will have the right pitch blocks necessary for these new CNC props, but Im a little hesistant to send it to them. Theres at least 1 thread over on PN that advises against it. They also wanted to charge me extra for adding some cup- like it would take any more time to put .145 of cup than it would .105 (stock spec) when doing the repair. That rubbed me the wrong way.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 3:29pm
Tim, thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll ship mine to where you're sending yours. Do you know this place, Mike's Prop Shop? I just don't want a hacker, hacking my prop up. I trust your judgement.

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 3:39pm
I dont personally know of a good prop shop, so Ive been doing some searching. Ultahots seemed to have good experience with them fixing his Acme. Delta Propellor is another choice. When I finally make a decision, Ill let you know.
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 5:25pm
Ken, Man I'm sorry to hear this already !!!.... I think it's time to donate the ol girl to a nice new home.. We just don't have these problems in ILL, so I'll help with the transfer.......

Moj'
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 8:32pm
Mikes is right here in town with me.If you want send it to me and I will hand deliver amd pick it up for you.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 8:44pm
Mojo....what you talkin about man??? Ask Wood about these things!

Ken...make sure that who ever does the work...they know the prop! There are a lot of very good prop guy's who know federal and oj's but can't work on an Acme.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 8:55pm
Ken,

I banged up my 540 after only a month, took it to Big Al's prop shop aka a big a$$ rock in the backyard and a ballpeen hammer and got it back good enough to finish the season.    I am planning to send it back to ACME to have it fixed up proper and add some cup to it.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 9:41pm
    Ken,
Sorry to hear about your prop.This year hasn't been very good to you,has it?Well,at least you can take a break,watch some football and get ready for next spring .Should be a great season next year.Maybe we should all start planning on an early get together for beers at the Boston boat show in Feb. or something.It'll be here before you know it.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 8:25am
[QUOTE=stang72] Mojo....what you talkin about man??? Ask Wood about these things!

Joke, my man, only a joke...

Moj'
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 8:39am
Ken- bummer about the prop. Do you have a back up prop? Never hurts to have another one available for times like these.

Gettin ready to pull boat today or tomorrow and the lake is already down 6-8 inches from summer pool level. Will watch out for the mini sandbar effect at the ramp.

Mike/Ken- Would love meet up with you guys at the NE boat show this year too.
-Brad
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

... I couldn't get the nut off the shaft. I'll have NECC take it off for me...Ken

Ken- Definitely not worth a trip all the way to NECC for that. Let me know if you need a hand after following Tim's advise. I could shoot down there and help you out one night later this week if you want.
-Brad
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 2:51pm
Hey Brad,

They must have put the nut on with an air gun or something. My Dad and I cranked on it and it wouldn't budge. My boat is being stored inside the NECC storage facility this year, so I figured I'd ask them to take it off. Thanks for the offer.

Ken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic