Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

80SN Oil Sending Unit EXTENSION

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
80Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 80SN Oil Sending Unit EXTENSION
    Posted: October-10-2006 at 4:14pm
Hello All !! Searched the forums, but haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

I have an 80 Nautique 351W Ford marinized by Commander. While I was draining the oil out today, I thought it would be a good time to put in my new Oil Pressure Sending Unit I bought from SkiDIM (only had the boat a year, but am positive it's the original).

Because the sending unit is tucked in tightly behind the r/w pump (really close quarters), their is an EXTENSION that comes out about 10" from the block, to a bra$$ fitting where you'd connect the Sending Unit. Anyway, while attempting to remove the Sending Unit, I snapped off the Extension at the block. The broken threaded piece came right out though ; may be 1/4" NPT.

Where do you guys think I could have one of these made up? Haven't called SkiDIM yet ; I doubt they have one, and I've never noticed one on their website.

Should I try my local hardware store, or perhaps a plumbing outfit? I imagine it's just steel. Has male threads on both ends. I a$$ume it came from the factory w/ this on it, but not sure. Don't really think their's enough room to mount the Sending Unit directly to the block.

Thought I'd ask you guys first, and THANKS in advance for your time and thoughts!!! ...chris....
1980 Ski Nautique , Ford 351W Commander, BW Velvet Drive 1:1

Dayton Ohio
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 5:54pm
Head to the hardware store.    Bring all the pieces with you and a$$emble it right there or you could be making a few trips. I added a low oil pressure switch to mine and had to rig something up. I used bra$$ on mine, seems to work fine.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 9:33pm
Chris; Welcome to our site.

Could you do me a favor and post some pics of your motor? I have a set of Commander manifolds that I need to put on and I would like to see how yours look. I have PCM's now and I think I need to make some changes to how the water runs. Thanks.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 9:41pm
Is it a wet guage? One that has a copper tube running to the dash?
Tim D
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:39pm
Jbear are you thinking of moving the 80 away from stock.. .blasphemy.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:52pm
Well Joe I just like the sound and looks of the Commanders. Saves a bit of weight as well I've heard. This is about as complicated as I think I can handle. I envy you guys in all the things you do to your boats. Mostly I just lift my motorbox to change the oil. When 79 saw my motor he just chuckled.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 12:24am
Welcome 80'
as theyve already said hardware or auto store should have the pc you need....

jbear,
You gonna finally get out that sandpaper this winter? Good time to get wet sanding and buffing done!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 12:28am
I keep tellin'you guys....no winter here. We never quit.

Seriously....I gotta get my guts up. I just haveta keep lookin at the pics of Alan's beautiful job.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 8:31am
I have commander style manifolds on my 302, they work but I hacked them in myself so if you can find someone with pics of an original install it would probably be better, if not let me know and I will show ya what I did.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
80Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 9:20am
Thanks for all your replies! TimD, it is not a wet guage, just has a wire connected to end of Sending Unit.

jbear, some day I hope my 80 looks like the80 !!! I'll also post some pics.

It's raining now, good time to goto Hardware store.

Thx Again! ....chris.....
1980 Ski Nautique , Ford 351W Commander, BW Velvet Drive 1:1

Dayton Ohio
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 9:37am
jbear,

Here is a picture of my new 79 with the commanders. It is the only pic I have now, but can take more this week if needed.

Greg

86 BFN
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 3:12pm
Here are some pics...

Brad

I have some larger photos that I can email if you want.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 10:14pm
Thanks guys. Sorry for the slow responce, I was out of town for the weekend. Had to go up to our place in Tennessee to close up for the winter. Glad I don't haveta do that to the '80 anymore!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic