Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How ugly is this?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How ugly is this?
    Posted: October-10-2006 at 10:31pm
Doing my first teardown/rebuild. Popped the right side cylinder head to find this...

I'm hoping you have seen worse?

Thanks.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:36pm
no, that is very disgusting, does it turn at all cause if its not freed up I wouldnt bother with that block I would head to the junk yard... seriously wow
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:55pm
that is amazing. Yowsa.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:58pm
Those pics are a good reason why I never look in my engine. It would scare me.

Dude: hope you are gettin' along well. Don't it make ya sad to hear all these guys talking about putting their boats away?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 6:34am
you couldnt wish for worse, i guess you found a stopping point... eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 8:24am
The good news is it looks like you can probably salvage that engine mount off the right side....
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 9:39am
It would make a good anchor.
Tim D
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 9:45am
Damn! That looks bad!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 10:24am
Looks bad. If the block is not cracked AND you can get the pistons out. Just strip it all the way down, have it boiled out and bored 30 over or so. You need new pistons anyway.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 5:25pm
Thanks for the comments...I figured it was toast but I got it to learn how to tear down and rebuild. I am at least getting a tear down lesson.

Lots of good parts (oil pan, fuel pump, carb, intake, etc.) so I think I will go ahead and keep taking it apart. And like David said, I'll try to get the pistons out. If not, does anyone need a good anchor? lol.

How much to have a block boiled and bored? Just curious, in case I make it that far.

Thanks,
Mike

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 5:55pm
ball park 350 for all the cleaning and machining
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 11:29pm
Jbear: yep. This is the time of year I like it here. It's horrible in the summer.

Joe: still one of my favorite videos.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 10:08am
WHY WASTE THE TIME,imho stick a fork in it, this one is done...boat dr

i have a good short block w/heads 775 hrs. replaced with a 331, it needs a new home ,make me an offer, its taking up shop space........located in LA.
302 rev. rotation.....
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 10:19am
Im with David, if the water jackets are fine just send it out and it will come back fine. Doesnt look that bad to me. I have seen lots worse and recently. In spring I had a salt water engine with holes from the water jackets freezing. That went to the landfill. I think yours will be fine. The rust doesnt look like it will hold it together. Just knock the pistons out from the bottom and be kind to the rest of the bottom while your taking it apart.
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 10:23am
Wow doc you posted while I posted. If you guys can work out a deal it will much cheaper than reworking that one. I am getting a 350 machined as we speak and it is nickle and diming me to death. Costing me the same to rebuild as its worth.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 11:54am
pswann ; lottsa time we are penny wise and dollar foolish,if you really think you can save a little money, think again........that is why i started from scatch w/stroker.new block,crank ,rods and pistons,and i still let someone else build the bottom end. cheap insurance for the soul...........and i did not have that feeling at 2am did i torque #3 rod bolt that final setting????????????? boat dr
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 8:45am
Not worth wrenching nevermind putting money into it. moveon.org.

Get a nice used rollercam engine for cheap beans, they are everywhere. or go new crate engine.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 1:02am
Just remember it is Reverse rotation. I ended up with a block that looked like that but add seawater to all cylinders. We scrapped the block went 30 over with new pistons rings rods etc. The good news is blocks don't have a specfic rotation. Had the whole thing balanced. 2K out the door in San Diego. It still runs strong.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 11:48pm
Save the crank,junk the rest..you can tie it to a rope and have a cranker...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2006 at 1:56am
LOL, Maddmarxx. Does a cranker exert greater down force than a standard anchor?

TRebhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRebhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2006 at 3:25pm
Last spring I put a Jasper remanufactured engine in my '83 SN. I didn't have time for the rebuild. It was quick and easy. A bit more expensive but I wanted to get the boat back on the water as quick as possible.

I don't even think you could get a core deposit on that block!
VT. Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic