Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are we really addicted to Correct Crafts?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are we really addicted to Correct Crafts?
    Posted: October-11-2006 at 10:36am
The long cold winter grows closer. Lots of time to ponder your options.
So here's one to ponder:
Is there anyone here who has, is, or would, live without their CC?

Nice and warm last weekend and I had the boat out in the driveway and gave it a good bath.
Since it didn't get started this year, I added some MMOil to the cyl's, topped off the block's antifreeze and diconnected everything again.
Overall it still looks great, even though it's going back to sleep.
To tell ya the truth just working on it made me .
But then - (Insert theme from Jaws here) the wife strolls by and makes the comment "Maybe time to sell?"

I know that I didn't get to use it for the past two seasons. But, the thought of just sitting by a lake and not being able to ski or be cruising around listining to that V8 Purrrrrr makes me ill. (even if it is only a few times a year)
My plan is hopefully to hang on, redo the upohlstery again & spiff up the trailer.
If I can do that, I think it would be a real primo 84. Like having a cla$$ic vette.

So, I do have to admit that, every once in awhile, a quick thought flashes thru my empty mind that, "maybe due to lack of use, it might be time" But then I couldn't imagine letting her go.
Anybody been down this road??
Oh great CCFAN.com - Give me strength!      
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 10:53am
Scott,

Priority #1, we've got to get that beautiful master piece going in the spring. I'll even come down to help you launch it. Selling isn't an option, my friend. I'll be more than happy to help you put hours on it. Larry (75 Tique) lives on the Cape, so you're a great mid-point. Let's aim for 50 hours next year!

Ken
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 10:53am
I now have 4 boats & a waverunner. I can't possibly use all of them enough to justify having them. I will probably sell at least the American Skier in the spring. I will look at the 2 correct crafts in the spring when I have more work done to them. I would like to keep both of them if possible. My wife & family all think I am nuts, but I enjoy just restoring & working on them. It is my relaxing time to myself as well as the satisfaction when I see the finished product knowing I did it. Practical- heck no, but who said we have to be practical. Hang on to the things you enjoy as long as you can.
Greg

86 BFN
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 12:49pm
Nauti- your boat might make for a "workshop" session at the NE '07 gathering. Bring it along even if it aint runnin- We'll see what we can do. Don't worry about the cosmetics, get it running and enjoy the heck out of it man!
-Brad
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 2:06pm
As of right now, I should be all set to go in the spring. NECC got me the new starter coil, which I replaced and then it cranked over just fine.
I didn't actually start it because I knew I wouldn't get to use it and I was too lazy to re-winterize.
I just need to get new tires, repack bearings, register boat & trailer, and crank her up!
She's just not real pretty with the mildew stains that wouldn't come out, but hopefully the Charcoal trick that Vince mentioned at the reunion will keep that from getting any worse.
I need to start EARLY spring!!
(My problem is that I got into the RV thing - The wife says "Too many toys!" If ya think workin on boats is fun, you should see all the cool mods ya can do in the RV Check out the rig Hopefully it'll be hauling the Nauti next year!)

So is there anyone boatless on the site??
I really think that if I did get rid of it, I'd be real misrable any time I was near a lake.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 5:09pm
Buying, running, and skiing on my '63 was one of the most fun, exciting things I've ever done. I've owned it so long that my extended family and my friends all know the boat and identify it with me. Over the past few years I haven't used it as much, have a project jet boat that has been of more interest to me lately, and with 3 small kids I just have been doing other things. I've thought about selling it the last few years, its a lot of work for the little bit of use it gets now.

I have to say that finding this site helped me decide to keep it. Reading about all the people with inboards, cla$$ic or newer, getting together and talking in the forums made me realize how much I really like having a 43 year old boat that runs perfectly and looks reasonably good.

Nauti, keep the boat. You have to hear the rumble and punch the throttle next spring.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 5:40pm
63 skier,you know anybody can sign on the bottom line and own what ever they can afford to pay notes on,but the thrill and pride we obtain from owning and maintaining these old cla$$ics can not be conveyed to a non C/C boater.63 you have a good lookin boat ,but the steering wheel is in the wrong place,ha ha

nauti,im with 63 keep it ,ya wont be sorry.............boat dr
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 6:46pm
Scott,

Rving is the balls. Go where you want , when you want, no plans just do it. We've got an old beat up Bounder that is ready to go any minute all summer long. If you haven't towed your Nautique behind the cla$$ A yet give it a try. My Bounder drives and rides better with the extra weight behind it so now the boat goes everywhere we do. And it's a blast watching peoples faces when you back 53' of rig down the ramp and unload faster than the guy next to you can load his canoe on the roof of the beach wagon. You got the best of both worlds man use it.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 7:10pm
Boat dr, I'll have to add that to my list of winter fixes, relocate steering wheel to right side!

I agree with you. My kids, neice and nephews love their new Glastron I/O, and I understand why, but they also have all seen me with my head buried in the bilge replacing a fuel pump or chasing a wiring problem, and I think they appreciate what it takes to keep the boat in turnkey condition. I know some people baby their boats and don't let others drive them but I'm happy to let them take it out and thrash around, I get enjoyment out of watching others use the boat.
ski nau-geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski nau-geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 8:42pm
I've often wondered if it's odd that I am just as excited about having the interior in my '80 completely redone this winter as I am to take it out on the water again....I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets fired up about that stuff too!
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 8:57pm
Keep the boat man! What do you do when you get where you are going and staying in the R.V.? I was a hard core white water kayaker and when we had kids I couldn't keep doing it. The 79 Ski Tique I bought this summer was the perfect thing the whole family can enjoy it while it's on the water and when I need sone time to myself I go work on the boat. Your CC is a cla$$ic and would look great behind what ever R.V. you have and should give you more reason to use the R.V.
Keep on keepen on.
Work to live, not live to work.

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

... You have to hear the rumble and punch the throttle next spring.

Well put!
used to have a bunch of toys...I'm down to one essential- the Nautique. Simplify- keep the boat!
Best treatment for mildew I've ever seen- a gallon of deck cleaner and pressure washer.Get a good cover that breathes after the treatment.
-Brad
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 11:07pm
Oh, and back to your original question..think of it as a distraction from reality, not an addiction.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 11:54pm
Correct Craft Addiction!??!

Im not addicted ...I can quite any time I want .. I just dont want to..

Hey 63...too bad you cant afford something "newer"
     Actually..NICE Ride!!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 12:27am
Thanks for the compliment. Maybe after owning the '63 for 25 years its time to move up to a '64 like yours!
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 1:15am
Hi my name is MARK and yes I'm an ADDICT, see I said it,yes I am addicted to my boat,I was using 7 times a week, Im getting better,I am down to 3 times a week now!Its so hard to stop! it keeps calling me and calling me,I can hear it right now,.........bye..im going for a ride....
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 7:46am
Ahhh, It's all a blurr.
It all started as a wee lad in NH, riding around in Dad's little 14' with the Big Headed Johnson on the back.
Then a few years later, a quick ski behind a Glastron outboard, woobling around on two old wooden ski's.
Followed by many years of watching and hearing the shiny old mahogany Chris Crafts rumble around the lakes. I was hooked on this boating thing and jumped from one old outboard to another.
But then -
a buddy of mine showed up with his American Skier & it was taken to a whole new level.
He taught us how to drive the inboard and give good pulls for Barefoot & Tricks.
The sound and power of driving that thing! I drove all weekend from sun up to sun down - I had to have one!!
A long search followed that summer (back before the internet).
Then a trip from Ma. to Oh. in February to pick up a 4 year old '84' Nautique. (Couldn't imagine buying a 4 yr old 2003 today! )

Nah, the old 84 ain't goin nowhere!
(At least not until one of those nice old mahogany's might come along )
Thanks for the support in my moment of weakness Boys - Here's to a great winter and an even better Spring!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 8:55am
84'
Im soo glad you finally came to your senses!   Sometimes it takes an unbias (yeah right) third party to put things in perspective.

WELCOME BACK!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 8:59am
Another sign of addiction, and I've been guilty of this one a number of times ..... Have you ever walked down to the dock and started the boat just to hear it idle, stand there for a few minutes, then shut it down and go back to what you were doing?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 9:11am
remember that the first one is free,after that you pay and pay.

63 after some serios thought maybe yours is Correct and mine is Knot,

after a 30 yr.divorce,and settelment, i was lighten of my load of toys,she did not want them,she did not want me to have them. that was in the year B.C.;Before Correct Craft.

what a life guys,our addictions just morph................. boat dr
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 12:34pm
i work on alot boats and really over the years you get to hate boats(when you work on them all the time) but there is something about ski boats, correct crafts in general they always were a top qaulity boat and alot of the manufacturers came a long way. im not bragging in anyway and have been on alot of different boats including race boats. but there is still no thrill better than the acceleration and handling of a ski boat. its the only kind of boat that after years will still put a spark in your eye
"the things you own will start to own you"
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 10:57pm
What is the charcoal trick that Vince mentioned at the reunion ? For those of us that were not there.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 12:42am
I tried once as I have said I had a 2001 sport Nautique open bow with a python motor but sold it to pay for my wedding. Silly me, anyway I sold it in April of 04 bought my BFN in July of 04 lasted 3 hard months. I have to drive by the lake everyday on my way to work. I will never be with out a CC again.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 6:45am
Pat,
They had recommended putting a bucket or two of charcoal in the boat when covering for the winter.
This is supposed to absorb the moisture & help cut down on the mildew.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 7:22am
there is a kit available from land n sea for moisture, i'll look today, it comes in a bag to absorb the moisture, we use to use desacant pebles in a coffee can, these were used in air compressper dryers
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic