NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gelcoat repair!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gelcoat repair!
    Posted: October-11-2006 at 11:46pm
I had some very good results repairing chips on the chines using Mini Craft of Fla "Mc Puddy" paste kit. First I ordered the color wheel and found nearly perfect matches for my lime(lynn) green Mustang and the Orange Nautique...very hard colors to mix.Got really close!
This product has a thinner viscosity than other pastes(Evercoat etc)and you have a much longer set up time...so you can work several spots once you have added the hardener.
Method...
1. Sand or grind (with dremel) any loose stuff
2. Clean well with acetone
3. Tape as close to the repair spot with body shop type masking tape...basiclly outlining the repair area.
4. apply the gel paste...sceeding it over the area but not going beyond the tape.
5. remove any excess paste that is on the tape...use acetone.
6. Use wax paper(cut slighty bigger than the repair area..apply it to the wet gel and wrap clear packing tape (overlapping the wax paper) and over the the repair. On a chine for instance...the tape would wrap around the curve(side of hull to the underside). The tape should be snug enough the hold the shape!
7. Use you fingers to smooth out air bubbles and do any last shaping,
8. Remove tape...sand and buff...you won't have much sanding if done right!

Alan...if you are reading this, chime in...I know your method is nearly the same!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 12:44am
Stang-thanks for the info,its been a long time since I did any gel repairs.I can use all the help I can get,I have a few chips and nicks to fix before i repaint.I also have a big spot on my keel that is worn down ,how should I fix that?...thanks
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 7:51am
That can be done the same way! With the Mc Puddy...they send you a pint...it goes a long way!
Also...they sell a small spray kit (and will mix a batch)! You can do a google search"minicraft of Florida"...check the web site out! I called them and they are very helpfull! They have about anything you could ask for!
stang

The Super Air

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 8:18am
Pretty much the same method I use Gary, The clear packing tape is the trick for shaping the patch while it dries.

I didn't know Minicraft had a color wheel for matching, I need to get one of those for future projects.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 8:29am
Alan...we are hoping to come up and drink some snake juice with you guys! Pretty sure we can make it...I can bring the color wheel!
stang

The Super Air

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 11:09am
Gary, Snake juice is for the kids. We make up a batch of Cobra venom for the adults.

For those outside the loop, the wife and I throw a pretty good Halloween party. We've invited all the CCFans in the area but I'm sure we missed a few so I'll post a thread with details later. All are welcome but she won't let you in without a costume.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 4:05pm
Alan.....got the invite today....pretty sure we'll be making the trip. Hope to see a bunch of you guys there.

Rob
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 11:38pm
Thanks for the post stang. This will be searched many times.

Can you use that mcPutty to repair prop dings too?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 11:44pm
stang

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic