NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Maharajah ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2007 at 2:12am
Hey that's awesome Munday. Looking forward to seeing some pics of you riding that bad boy. If you really want to put that Ski through it's paces, come on out to CA and we'll hook you up with 32 foot offshore, 1000 HP, 200 feet of ski line, a helmet and a protective suit. If you're game, that ski will handle it.

I just put new bindings on my Father's 1961 Maha two weeks ago. Plan to hang it on the wall in my office.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2007 at 1:53am
Way back early in this post I ask Brain to keep an Eye out for a long board.Well it was sitting on my porch when I got home.Since this started I had both spelling of maja on my e bay /e mail list,seen 3 in that time landed one last Sunday by snipe when I was at the lake.I pumped to ride it hoping for tomorrow night.The paper work says it was bought in 06 dbl high wraps not a ding in it.

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 3:14pm
Thanks, Tim. Good to be here. Lots of great info about CC on here.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by east tx skier east tx skier wrote:

Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Doug; Welcome to the site.

Love your signature line. Try to live that way now that I am a bit over 50. Of course that attitude helps when hangin' with the PLBC guys.

john

Thanks, John. I've been reading over here for a while, but I guess everyone has to have that first post at some point. I have to remind myself of Mr. Miller's wise words every now and then.

I'll second that welcome Doug- good to see you over here.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 11:17am
reidp
Got my 65" comp X-2 in 1978 after my Lake Region Tournament burned up in a house fire. Skied on that until 7 years ago. Not good under my 215lbs. I thought a shorter ski was better until I got my 72" Connelly Eclipse. I'll never let go of that Comp X-2. I also have the EP Super-1. There's a nice EP Comp-1 and an Obrien Comp in our equipment shed collecting dust.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 3:11am
Thanks Doug. I'll haveta google him and see what turns up. I lurked here for quite a while before I got up the nerve to post...now I am at 1941...I better get a life and let mrsjbear back on her computer.

Reid; TaperFlex was a hot ride in the early 70's. Quess I am dating myself.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 2:20am

Love your signature line. Try to live that way now that I am a bit over 50. Of course that attitude helps when hangin' with the PLBC guys.

john

Thanks, John. I've been reading over here for a while, but I guess everyone has to have that first post at some point. I have to remind myself of Mr. Miller's wise words every now and then.

Senior moment....Who the heck is Warren Miller?

john

Warren Miller is the guy who has been producing and, most importantly, narrating those great snow ski movies for the last 50 or so years. A couple of years ago (I think the movie was "Impact," he did about a 5 minute segment on Gordon Rauthbaum's (sp) Ski Paradise in Acapulco.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 2:20am
I inherited a really nice 65" Hook last year which I think I showed to quinner and the guys, but have yet to try it. I did my best skiing in the days on my 64-65" EP Comp X2 which I bought sometime in the late 70s early 80s(?) I think, and still ski on it today. My buddies all laugh at it. I got started on a composite (wood and formica looking thing) called a Taperflex. Anyone remember those from the mid-seventies? And it WOULD flex!
ReidP
1973 Mustang

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 2:19am
I picked this one up at a yard sale for 5-bucks, does anyone know what its is, or is it junk??

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 1:46am
Senior moment....Who the heck is Warren Miller?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 12:40am
Pete
Nothing better during the Michigan winter than hitting the slopes, and then relaxing with friends, a drink , and a Warren Miller movie.
Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 12:13am

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2007 at 6:29pm
I've had my Maherajah long board (recreational version of the speed ski) for several seasons now. It is absolutely a blast to ski on. Take the boat up to about 40+ mph and ride it on a 150' line. Great for those rough days. The ski itself is a work of art. The side cut must be 1.5" thick. Bob is great to work with, too. He answers his phone, takes the orders, and makes the ski for you. As mentioned above, they don't come up for sale used too often. I know I have no desire to sell mine.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 12:20pm
8122pbrainard,

I have that exact O'brien sitting in my garage as well.

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 10:53am
[QUOTE=quinner] Pete,

Back in the 80's I had a Connelly Hook, all wood just like your O'Brien, lent it out and never saw it again.

Sorry to here that you lost the ski. One benefit with my low weight was that I skied on a short ski. That O'brien is a 64" that no one else could ski on so no one ever borrowed it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 1:39am
Pete,

Back in the 80's I had a Connelly Hook, all wood just like your O'Brien, lent it out and never saw it again.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 12:56am
Mojoman,
I ski on a Connelly Eclipse. It's only slightly larger but rides and carves great. I'm 215lbs,ride a 72' and ski behind my 90hp outboard. If you can pick up one of those, you won't be sorry.
Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 12:21am
Pete that O'Brien is beautiful. Would love to take it off your hands.

BTW: This year at Tennessee I was never on my Phantom, stayed under the bed in the bag. Spent the whole vacation on my Maha. Still love it. Makes me feel like it is '72 again.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 11:49pm
Last weekend I was up north and going through some stuff in the basement. I ran into my old O'brien as well as the earlier Joe Cash I learned on. I used the junior version because the regular Joe Cash was too big for my skinny a**!!

I remembered this thread about the "good old days" of skis and had to get a picture.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 1:29pm
Comp, come on Brian, we're talking pure survival at this point... I just want to cruise, like on my old Harley !!!! Thanks for the suggestions. I do have an old Obrien, it's just getting to impossible for me desk riding, beer drinking butt to get up on....

Moj'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 12:17pm
Mojo,

As a fellow member of the bad back and +200 club, not to mention arthritic hands, I feel qualified to make a recommendation.

If you are looking for a ski to cruise, easy to get up, I'd say get a Connelly wide body ski. The current model is called the Pilot. However, they been making these skis for about 10 years. You can find them used. Drawback: The ski is not good for real aggressive cuts, and doesn't handle speeds much more than 28-30mph. Offered in two sizes, be sure you get the larger (475 sq. in. size).

If the eg0 won't let you get one of the really wide skis, or if you want something a little more aggressive, then I would recommend the HO Magnum. This ski is wider, but has a more traditional shape. It is 71" long, easy to get up, can handle fairly aggressive cuts, and will handle speeds up to 34mph. I have one of these skis. It's not a comp slalom ski, but it is a lot of fun. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 1:28am
I belive this was the same type ski I learned on decades ago.. I don't really ski much anymore due to the searing pain in my lower back (bad discs). I do want to get back to at least sking a bit so I can teach my kids.

What is the best old ski I can pick up to get my fat a$$ out of the water with the least amount of effort or pain??? Then again, come sunset on Green, I'm usually not feeling any pain.....

Moj'
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 11:56am
I picked this ski up a few years ago at a garage sale.......... don't know if it's what you are looking for. Let me know

Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2006 at 7:51pm
After my brother borrowed my Maja and had it stollen out of his car I went to Kidder. When I saw one on Ebay 6 years ago for under 100 I bought it. It needed all new rubber. I called Bob and 2 days later I had a complete new set of binding rubber for $29.00. My brother still borrows the ski and it was the ski that my 21 year old son learned on. He then went to an Obrein Seige to an HO Phantom to a Monza. He is skiing for UC Davis near Sacramento California. Their coaches are just a couple of guys that live on the lake and come out to help. Their names are Jason Paredes and Terry Winters. Not bad. 6 weeks ago he told me that Jay was busy and asked one of his buddies that was staying with him to help my son. Eric called me to say that Chris Parrish had just pulled him for a couple of sets and given him some pointers. Wow. That is why I love this sport. Do you think Barry Bonds or Al Pujhols would play catch with your little league son? Oh by the way the Seige and the Phantom are for sale on Ski-it-again. Unfortunately he's outgrown both of them.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 8:21am
I wish I could still ride mine,but 80#s to heavy since 1974.But she resides in a place of honor on the wall in our outdoor kitchen/pavilion.Lookin forward to watching my boy Trey give her a ride someday soon.

Munday
barr68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 8:19am
I just bought what I think is a late 60's/early 70's Maherajah(71" long) on ebay for $61.00. Its not perfect but pretty close. I am 47 ,6'1" tall and weigh 210 and have been looking for decent condition ,longer length Maha for a while now. After hearing all the positive feedback from this thread, I'm even more anxious to try it out! What better ski to ride behind a cla$$ic Correct Craft. Come on spring! Jim B.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 11:33pm
As I get a little older...the ski I reach for first now is my Maha. Still love the look feel and ride of those early 70's Mahas. They were THE ski to ride at one point. Like most of you guys, I have owned 'em all at one time or another but still love to ride my Maha.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 12:29pm
I have an old Maherajah in my shed..... it's in real good condition, but I don't know what model it is......... I'll take a picture of it tonight and post it for you to check out...... if it's the model you are looking for ???
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 11:28am
Understand David. That's why I still have my first wooden Maha. It's got a big chunk missing out of the side, and I'll never ride it again, but I'll never get rid of it. BKH
Livin' the Dream

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 9:12am
Brian:

The Maherajah 2001 was my first ski that I paid for with my own money. Back then, it was the ski to have and I skied on it for countless years until it was stolen out of my boat many years ago. Sure, the newer modern skis are better, but I have been wanting to replace that "2001" ever since. Every time a post like this comes around it makes me think of that old ski again. I especially remember how the black ski "floated" verticle with just the tip sticking out of the water. Sometimes made the old ski hard to find after a particularly nasty fall.

Occasionally I search Ebay, but have never seen a complete good condition example of the 2001 up for auction. Still looking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic