Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Maharajah ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
barr68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maharajah ski
    Posted: October-12-2006 at 7:11am
Anyone out there still use a wooden Maharajah slalom ski? What are they like? Jim B.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 9:30am
Barr, I don't use mine anymore because my body seems to have become too large for the ski   I have two Majas. My wife also uses an old Maja 360 as her walkaround ski.

If I were buying a Maja today, I would not buy a slalom ski. Personally, I just don't think that the wood is conducive to today's style of skiing in the slalom course. However, when it comes to ease of getting up, and a smooth recreational ride, maybe jumping some wakes, nothing beats the 360/flatback Maja. Also, the Maja Longboards, used for primarily for speedskiing, can be a lot of fun, particularly if you want to go for a ski in rough water.

After 50 years or so, Bob Maher is still making these skis by hand, and they are as beautiful as ever. BKH
Livin' the Dream

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 12:29pm
I have been looking for a Maharaja "2001" slalom ski for a long time now. Anyone know who has one for sale?
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 1:07pm
Ducksoup has one. but it's probably mounted to his wall by now.Keith, Jeff and I took a spin around milton on it last summer- what a hoot!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 1:37pm
DavidF,

I never cared much for those skis, but if you like it, it's all good. There was a guy on the mastercraft site (tmcowners.com) who had
one for sale last year. Don't know if it sold. Was also one on ebay recently.

One suggestion - if you are doing an internet search, be sure you use the correct spelling: M-A-H-E-R-A-J-A-H. I'd search Maharajah as well because lots of people get the spelling wrong.

I've seen a couple at garage sales in my neighborhood, and will keep my eye out for you. BKH
Livin' the Dream

93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 11:37pm
hey barracuda,you ski at lake milton in ohio,dan in streetsboro ohio.if so well have to get to gether next summer along with any other members,
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 12:00am
They are on ebay quite often...5 or 6 on now. prices are good!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 8:14am
ccpb- Milton three ponds in NH, was the location for last summers' NE reunion. Sorry man, but agree, would be nice to meet up sometime- maybe at one of the planned outings or otherwise.
-Brad
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 5:31pm
Which is better? A Maherajah or the O'brien World Comp?

I was pretty amazed a few weeks ago when somebody was looking for one of those! At least the mhjah is a "cla$$ic."

Searching for the World Comp
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 5:55pm
I still have the Team Comp...blue/green version with the matching bindings and a full back binding.....at the time I bought it , it was the one to have...used by Bob Lapoint.

I got on it a couple years ago and it rode pretty well...they come around pretty quick. I have hung on to it because it was the first good ski I ever owned...lots of hours on it.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

convo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote convo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 7:19pm
What exactly is a maherajah?? I've never heard of one.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 10:40pm
Wow, convo, I've got to a$$ume you are a young person. To learn more about Maherajah skis and their history vist www.mahaskis.com.

Bob Majer is a legend in waterskiing. He is credited with the first drop through fins, the first heal cup, the first double wrap boots, the first beveled edges, the first company to make different length skis for different skiers, and many other skiing innovations. He and his brother started making skis in the 1950.

During the 60s and 70s, Maherajah (and Herb Obrien's Obrien Ski company) were THE SKIS. My Dad ordered a Maha from Bob back in 1961, and paid over $100 dollars for it, an absurd price at that time. Bob LaPoint and other great waterskiing champions skied on Mahas. Both the Obrien's and the Mahas were beautiful, laminated hardwood skis. During the seventies both companies went to fibergla$$. The Mahas were black fibergla$$, and featured the bright yellow, orange, and black graphics. My Dad bought me a black Maha windbreaker when I was 8 or 9, and I must have worn that jacket to schoold every day for 2 or 3 years. I got my first Maha ski when I was 10 or 11.

Eventually, other technology moved forward and other skis and ski companies came along, but Bob Maher has continued to make handmade wooden skis for over 55 years now. Bob still makes traditional slalom skis, and the vintage square back skis, but the area where Maha is probably know best these days is the longboards. These are 8 foot long wooden skis ridden by over half the speed ski competitors.

Bob can still ski like a demon as well. He routinely skis in races here in California. A couple of years back, some guys in Michigan decided to do a Ski around Lake Michigan to raise money for charity. When the winds came up, and the water got rough, none the skiers were able to finish. Bob had been invited along to ride in the boat, coach the skiers etc.   When none of them could go any farther, Bob, in his 60s, climbed in and skied it himself.

If you ever get a chance to meet Bob Maher, see the beautiful skis he makes, or even better take one for a ride, I highly encourage you to do so.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 11:58pm
BKH, you are one of the great members here...always offering a lot of info

stang, I keep all my old skis too...I would be amazed if I ever read a post on here asking for one of them though!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2006 at 1:20am
No, just wordy with too much time on my hands. And, looking at my own post, too many spelling errors including spelling Bob's name wrong (Maher). BKH
Livin' the Dream

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2006 at 6:11pm
BKH I've been looking for a long time for a Maja long board if you ever see one for a good price keep me in mind.The only one I ever found on E bay was in U.K. and guy wouldn't ship to U.S.

thanks Munday
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2006 at 7:15pm
Munday,

Folks don't tend to get rid of those longboards till they break them. I'll keep an eye out. Lots of speed skiers here, and sometimes they retire. BKH
Livin' the Dream

64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2006 at 8:54am
Since we're talking "wood" I recently bought on old Connelly Comp II woody. What a fast ski! It made my HO Triumph feel like a beginner ski. It was very near the wake crossing speed of an HO VTX and cut very well at speeds above 32 mph. I'm no pro and am actually not very good, but that old wooden ski was a real shock. Along those lines of the original thread, I'd be interested in hearing some results or comparisons of the old Maha's to the new HO's.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2006 at 9:52pm
64, I'm certainly not an expert, but in my experience, I'd say the old wooden skis chattered a lot more than the modern Fibergla$$ skis.

Comparing to an HO triumph, I'm not surprised that the ski felt fast. However, I believe that is more related to the shape of the ski than the material. If you were to ride, a modern, high-end carbon ski, such as a Goode, Obrien Sixam, of HO Monza, I think you'd find them to be even faster. BKH
Livin' the Dream

convo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote convo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2006 at 11:58pm
Thanks for the info BK. I am not that young - I know of Bob LaPoint and actually still have some photos of him I took from a tournament/competition I went to in Minneapolis Mn. years ago. I am aware of O'Brien skis but I guess I must not have been that aware of all the skiing products and top end stuff. i grew up skiing on Kidder - still have my slalom with dual high wrap bindings that I got in high school. Mike
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 12:11am
Good stuff Mike. I rode a Kidder Redline during the late 80s. I think they still make that ski. I think the first fibergla$$ ski I ever rode was an EP. Funny, I'd gladly trade the modern equipment if I could have back the athleticism of my 20s. BKH
Livin' the Dream

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 9:12am
Brian:

The Maherajah 2001 was my first ski that I paid for with my own money. Back then, it was the ski to have and I skied on it for countless years until it was stolen out of my boat many years ago. Sure, the newer modern skis are better, but I have been wanting to replace that "2001" ever since. Every time a post like this comes around it makes me think of that old ski again. I especially remember how the black ski "floated" verticle with just the tip sticking out of the water. Sometimes made the old ski hard to find after a particularly nasty fall.

Occasionally I search Ebay, but have never seen a complete good condition example of the 2001 up for auction. Still looking.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 11:28am
Understand David. That's why I still have my first wooden Maha. It's got a big chunk missing out of the side, and I'll never ride it again, but I'll never get rid of it. BKH
Livin' the Dream

todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 12:29pm
I have an old Maherajah in my shed..... it's in real good condition, but I don't know what model it is......... I'll take a picture of it tonight and post it for you to check out...... if it's the model you are looking for ???
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 11:33pm
As I get a little older...the ski I reach for first now is my Maha. Still love the look feel and ride of those early 70's Mahas. They were THE ski to ride at one point. Like most of you guys, I have owned 'em all at one time or another but still love to ride my Maha.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
barr68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 8:19am
I just bought what I think is a late 60's/early 70's Maherajah(71" long) on ebay for $61.00. Its not perfect but pretty close. I am 47 ,6'1" tall and weigh 210 and have been looking for decent condition ,longer length Maha for a while now. After hearing all the positive feedback from this thread, I'm even more anxious to try it out! What better ski to ride behind a cla$$ic Correct Craft. Come on spring! Jim B.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 8:21am
I wish I could still ride mine,but 80#s to heavy since 1974.But she resides in a place of honor on the wall in our outdoor kitchen/pavilion.Lookin forward to watching my boy Trey give her a ride someday soon.

Munday
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2006 at 7:51pm
After my brother borrowed my Maja and had it stollen out of his car I went to Kidder. When I saw one on Ebay 6 years ago for under 100 I bought it. It needed all new rubber. I called Bob and 2 days later I had a complete new set of binding rubber for $29.00. My brother still borrows the ski and it was the ski that my 21 year old son learned on. He then went to an Obrein Seige to an HO Phantom to a Monza. He is skiing for UC Davis near Sacramento California. Their coaches are just a couple of guys that live on the lake and come out to help. Their names are Jason Paredes and Terry Winters. Not bad. 6 weeks ago he told me that Jay was busy and asked one of his buddies that was staying with him to help my son. Eric called me to say that Chris Parrish had just pulled him for a couple of sets and given him some pointers. Wow. That is why I love this sport. Do you think Barry Bonds or Al Pujhols would play catch with your little league son? Oh by the way the Seige and the Phantom are for sale on Ski-it-again. Unfortunately he's outgrown both of them.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 11:56am
I picked this ski up a few years ago at a garage sale.......... don't know if it's what you are looking for. Let me know

Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 1:28am
I belive this was the same type ski I learned on decades ago.. I don't really ski much anymore due to the searing pain in my lower back (bad discs). I do want to get back to at least sking a bit so I can teach my kids.

What is the best old ski I can pick up to get my fat a$$ out of the water with the least amount of effort or pain??? Then again, come sunset on Green, I'm usually not feeling any pain.....

Moj'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 12:17pm
Mojo,

As a fellow member of the bad back and +200 club, not to mention arthritic hands, I feel qualified to make a recommendation.

If you are looking for a ski to cruise, easy to get up, I'd say get a Connelly wide body ski. The current model is called the Pilot. However, they been making these skis for about 10 years. You can find them used. Drawback: The ski is not good for real aggressive cuts, and doesn't handle speeds much more than 28-30mph. Offered in two sizes, be sure you get the larger (475 sq. in. size).

If the eg0 won't let you get one of the really wide skis, or if you want something a little more aggressive, then I would recommend the HO Magnum. This ski is wider, but has a more traditional shape. It is 71" long, easy to get up, can handle fairly aggressive cuts, and will handle speeds up to 34mph. I have one of these skis. It's not a comp slalom ski, but it is a lot of fun. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic