NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1998 AIR vs. 99 pro Air

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1998 AIR vs. 99 pro Air
    Posted: October-13-2006 at 11:17pm
I am doing some thinking(dangerous as it is).

Looking to get something with a more modern approach for the skiing and wakeboarding...function,size and wake...open bow..perfect pa$$...gt40.(all that good stuff.(will keep a couple cla$$ics too...not straying from that).

What is the diff between the Pro Air 1999 and the Air 1998 (or sport 1998).

I have read some posts....the 98 Air or sport is a good crossover boat for Slalom or wakeboarding right? Is the same true for the Pro Air or is it a different beast?

BKH...this is your territory....whats the scoop?

Thanks in advance!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2006 at 1:39am
Stang,

Go to the third page of the 99 brochure. They have a side by side photograph of the TSC hull used on the Air, and the TWC hull used on the Pro Air. As you'll see, the TWC hull adds some strakes, and a step to the hull designed to get the nose up and the tail down to create a bigger wake.

When the 99 Pro Air came out, CC and its dealers purported that it was still a good ski boat at higher speeds. Based on my experience in both boats, I disagree.

The Pro Air will be a better wakeboard boat with less ballast. If you load the boats up, I'm not convinced there is a huge difference. The Air will be a better boat for skiing than the Pro Air.

Interiors should be the same on both boats.

The Sport is the same hull as the air. Some did have the ballast. Air has different graphics, and the tower was offered on the Air, though still as an option in 98.
So like all boats, it's still a matter of compromise.

Given that you've already got 3 or 4 ski boats, if it were me, I'd buy the one that's the best deal. BKH
Livin' the Dream

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2006 at 9:51am
Stang,

I owned a 99 Air for about 5 years & 500 hrs. Ordered with the GT-40 (Python was about 6k add'l) TSC hull, tower, ballast, etc. It was a really great boat. With both ballast tanks full it made a really good wake and with no weight it was a decent slalom boat. The Table on the TSC was a little hard when footing but not terrible. The only real issues we had with that boat was depth gauge and ballast pumps, other than that it was perfect. The 98-99 tower was a little more trouble to fold and even when folded would not fit through a standard garage door. Personally I would say stay away from a Pro or any boat with the TWC unless the slalom wake is not an issue for you. There is a 98 in Minn on PN the guy keeps dropping the price on you may want to check it out.

Has the hockey season started for you yet? My team is 3-0 and I have somehow managed to find the twine in each game?

See Ya
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2006 at 10:49am
Stang,

There are a couple of subtle interior differences between the 98 and 99 that I forgot to mention. In 99, the dashes are the same color as the top of the boat. In 98, the dash fibergla$$ is black. I believe 99 is the year they went to a true walk through in the open bow. 98 is kind of a walk through/playpen configuration. BKH
Livin' the Dream

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2006 at 11:59am
Thanks for the info! That answers what I needed to know.

The hull diff. is going to matter most...we will be 50/50 on wakebaord vs slalom...so the TSC hull is the one for us.

I have been keeping an eye on the Minn. boat...If it's the same one. Is that the one on ebay for 20,000...looks like a good price. I need to wait till spring though...sell a couple and save some frog skins.

Hockey has not began yet....one week to go. Keep finding to back on the net!
stang

The Super Air

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2006 at 9:47am
Stang,

Link to boat on PN 98 Air for sale

The 99 is a walk thru with a removable filler cushion in bow.

rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2006 at 2:22pm
Stang

You better get on that......19000 seems like a steal. Then again, he might be at 10000 before too long the way he keeps dropping it.

Rob
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2006 at 5:07pm
price is good for sure...And it's got the bells and whistles! But...I can't really jump on anything until spring!
stang

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic