Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 vs 350; FI vs Carbed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 vs 350; FI vs Carbed
    Posted: October-17-2006 at 8:09pm
Long story short: Getting a new engine due to stupidity on my part. Insurance is covering it (though I a$$ume they will cover cheapest option only).

Fella doing the work is working 4 quotes for me, 351 carbed (what was in it), 351 fuelie, and a 350 of each variety.

Thoughts on which to go with? Sticking with stock 1:1 tranny (to be rebuilt). Want more top speed (42mph would be nice...previous top was 31mph @ 4100RPMs). Prop work is in order I know, but I'm at step one right now which is pick an engine. Mechanic says he is a Chevy man and would still recommend sticking with 351 because they make more torque. I don't know...

Advice or opinions?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 8:52pm
Are motor mounts an issue? I a$$ume they would be different on a 350. Are you planning on keeping the motor stock? If so, the 351w is a nice torquey motor right out of the box for your Fish Nautique. If youre gonna do some mods for more top speed then the parts are cheaper for a Chevy.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 10:00pm
    PCM motor mounts can be adapted to use the same holes in the hull. I went from a 302 PCM to a new carbed 350 PCM in the 76 M17 and bolted right up to the existing holes. Never had a 351, so couldnt give a honest opinion on which is better.

Jeff...
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2006 at 1:26am
Mounts being different isn't a big deal to me...I'm not installing the engine and the insurance company will be paying some/all of the bill, so it ain't a huge deal...
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2006 at 1:54pm
Ryan, great looking ‘fish’. In my ‘fish’ with the stock PCM 351 and 1.23 trany I am getting 37mph @ 4200rpm and about 27mph @ 3000rpm depending on the load. Is your prop tuned? How are you loaded? I do understand that PCM 351 is now a GT40 with a lot more HP that yours (and mine). I believe that PCM is now working on a new lot of 351’s. I do not know where or how they got them but my buddy just ordered a new one and got delivered last week. With that being said, most new repowers are with GM blocks. If it was me, I would go for the most HP I could get, but I do like my 351. There was a thread last week debating GM vs. Ford. Good luck with your new power – and what color is on your boat, I really like it, hard to tell it from a new Edgewater. Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2006 at 2:30pm
Thanks for the compliments. No idea of the prop specs, but I do know I'm probably fairly heavy between water intrusion and dive gear.

As for color, I think it's just black and white. I'm actually hoping to go with a dark green above the waterline, black on the bottom with a gold stripe at some point in the near future. The boat was repainted about 2 years ago if the previous owner was honest about that, but I think once she's on the water, the white topsides make it look just like 90% of the other boats on the water, and I don't like that.

What color is yours?
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2006 at 4:40pm
Ryan, I see it now, when I looked at your picture the shade on you hull look like a light shade of green, almost the same color of one of the Edgewater’s at the Annapolis Boat Show. Cosmetically my boat needs help, the original color was gray which CC had big problems with fading and chalking. Prior owner did a very poor paint job, and painted the hull blue, kind of a royal blue color, gunnels and console were painted gray and did not match the rest of the boat, deck and interior is the original gray gelcoat…so I got a mix of “crap”. I was going to repaint this summer but somehow did not want to lay the ‘fish’ up, I was enjoying it so much. The blue is growing on me, but the gray gunnels and console have to go, I will redo them in white. Then we will decide on the hull color. Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2006 at 4:50pm
Ryan,

I've owned two, 351 carbureted Ford, PCM engines. They're great engines in my opinion. I think you'd be happy with either engine, but I'd stick with what the boat came with. Any parts that are still good on your current 351 can be re-used. TRBenj can give you some tips to beef the 351's HP up, if that's your thing.

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2006 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Ryan,

I've owned two, 351 carbureted Ford, PCM engines. They're great engines in my opinion. I think you'd be happy with either engine, but I'd stick with what the boat came with. Any parts that are still good on your current 351 can be re-used. TRBenj can give you some tips to beef the 351's HP up, if that's your thing.

Ken

Ryan,

Im a fan of the 351w. But if I were starting from scratch, Id strongly consider a 350 because its easier and cheaper to build up. If youre interested in seriously modifying it, a carb'd 350 may be the way to go. If youre leaving the motor stock (or near stock), the 351w would better suit the Fish- and if you can get your ins co to pay for it get the GT40 EFI for the better driveablility.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic