NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft seal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
'88 nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '88 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft seal
    Posted: October-20-2006 at 7:16pm
Is the PSS pack seal worth the effort and labor to install? My boat has the old style and I was curious if anyone has changed over? Do you like it or regret it?
If you do replace it should a guy put in a new shaft and coupler at the tranny?

Just looking for input. I'm new with the inboard stuff. Raised of inboard/outboard machines.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2006 at 8:35pm
it's worth it, no need to replace the coupling or seal unless they are bad.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2006 at 10:09pm
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2006 at 1:24am
How much $$?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2006 at 9:06am

I put an OJ Dripless in mine, Similar to the PSS but $50 cheaper.

Although it looks like a simple job to install, removing the coupler can be pretty tough. I would not consider this a must have item unless you just want something to do. BUT if you ever had to replace a shaft I would definately put one on.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '88 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2006 at 11:12am
How do you know if the shaft needs to be replaced? I know I have to replace the prop and am in the process of researching which one. By all of the past posts it looks like the ACME 540 or 542 is the one to own..
Any opinions??
hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 10:06am
....I went from an OJ 4 blade to the Acme 540 and it is probabaly one of the best upgrades I ever did. Don't let anyone tell you that a 4 blade is the ONLY way to go.
Heath
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 10:07am
You usually won't replace a shaft unless you banged a prop hard enough to bend the shaft. Some say it is a maintenenace item and should be replaced every 500 hours but I've never known anyone to do so.

If you've got a 1:1 tranny mosy people agree the 540 or 542 are good choices, do a search and you'll come up with a bunch of good info to help you make a decision.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 11:22am
If you want to check your shaft...Grap the prop by hand and turn it (clockwise looking from the stern). It should turn with a bit of resistance but fairly easily(each boat is diff)and with do spots that bind.Also check the cutless bearing....try to move the shaft side to side...there should not be slop at the struts cutless bearing.
If things appear to be good...through the Acme on and go have fun! The Amce is a smooth running prop...if you notice vibration(beyond normal)then either the shaft or alignment is a problem.
A good vibration indicator...just watch you mirror...if it jitters a bunch , there's vibration beyond normal!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '88 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 1:20pm
Thank you so much for the input. Being new to the inboard scene can be overwhelming at times. I just want the necessary work done before summer. The person before me just drove the boat, I don't think maintaince was a priority.
This is my new baby and I want it correct.

QUESTION- on the dash of my 1988 2001, there is a "glovebox" on the pa$$enger side, this box is open but on the back of it is an aluminum hinge. Is there supposed to be a lid or cover on this open box??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 4:57pm
'88 nautique,

This is 88 Nautique. Yes my glovebox has a smokey brown (clear) plastic cover. Mine is cracked in half, but still there. It also has a lockable latch on it. I read on this site that they are still available from Correct Craft for $150 though I haven't tried to order it yet. The glove box and lid are one piece as the hinge is rivited to the box and lid. My glove box had an in-dash stereo installed in it. The face plate of the stereo is inside the box and the rear of the stereo sticks out of the box under the dash. Pretty clean install. The cover protects the stereo from water. Would be nice to have a stereo with a remote control though.
Also if you carpet before I do, maybe you can give me some tips as far as how much carpet to buy, etc. and I will do same if I get to it before you. I will be carpeting this winter.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '88 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 9:40pm
Thaks for the info. I was going to install astereo and didn't know where I was going to put it. I may have to install it in a new dash. Do you happen to have a digital camera so you could show me a picture of what this looks like.. I would appreciate it. I will be doing the carpet in the spring after the painting is finished. If I get to it sooner i will let you know. I have to do a total interior and exterior restore. I bought this as a cosmetic nightmare... It has great potential.. Is the glove box available from which marina?
Brad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 12:33am
Brad,
Apparently the forum administrators have not yet granted me permission to post photos on this forum. If you want to see the pics, click on "profile" under this message and click on "email" and send me a message with your email address on it. I promise I will delete your email address after I reply and I will not give it out. Unless you know how I can get the administrators to let me post pics.
Kurt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 12:56am
Brad,
I read another post that said he got a new glovebox for an 88 nautique from Woody at Southeast Correct Craft. $150.00. 407-851-1965. http://www.southeastcorrectcraft.com/parts.cfm
Haven't tried it yet. Gotta spend my money on carpet first. Let me know if you find it.
Kurt
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 7:38am
Originally posted by 88 Nautique 88 Nautique wrote:

Apparently the forum administrators have not yet granted me permission to post photos on this forum.

Kurt, you dont need to have any special priviledges to post pics. The max size for uploading them to this site is fairly small, so youre probably over the size limit. Most people here set up a free acount (photobucket, for example) and simply link the pictures.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 9:04am
Email me the pictures and I will post them for you.

kevin.fleischmann@plboatclub.com

Also have an '88. Of course our glove box lid is cracked, and the rivets are gone from the hinge. This lets us take the lid completely off, which I find to be somewhat convenient at times. The glovebox is a great place for mounting the head unit. We have a Sony with the wired remote. Pioneer also offers a wired remote on some models. Check your deck clearance before cutting into the glovebox, I had to angle my head unit to clear.

I wouldn't go replacing the shaft "just because". The dripless is probably a nice feature, but not a "must have" by any means. If you want a replacement prop, go with the 540. If you load up with literally a ton of weight, people plus "gear" (sacs), get the 542.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 11:15am
I shrunk them. I'll try again.

As you can see, the box is one molded piece and was made to mount a stereo head.
Also I double checked. The glove box hinge is riveted to the box and the glove box lid is glued to the hinge with a silicon sealer type glue.

Kurt
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 11:20pm
I just did my carpet.I have an 82 2001.Get 33 feetof the 6 ft wide & cut the main piece first then the sides.Then there will be plenty of scraps to do the kickboard,removable floor,and gas tank cover piece.If I could do it again I would use contact cement instead of outdoor carpet glue.I used both and the contact cement I used on the bilge edges was better ,less messy and sticks better( might need alot).Don't forget 3 coats of epoxy resin - hardner to coat the floor after sanding.If you use carpet glue & spill a few drops ,let it dry FIRST then use mineral spirits and a rag to clean up .Don't use soap it will make it worse.Dan            

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 1:01am
I'm new to this... Why do we sand the floor? Do we sand the fibergla$$ or the plywood or both? I haven't pulled up my old carpet yet so I'm not sure what kind of surface I have to work with under there.
Did you replace your plywood? If so, what grade of plywood did you use?
Did you replace your transition molding? Was it hard to find?
Thanks for the help.
Kurt
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 9:39am
Kurt, here is a thread I started with lots of pics:   floor/stringer repair
It should give you a good idea of how our boats are put together. The floor is mainly fibergla$$ with a wood section between the motorbox and battery box.

I believe dans put a whole new floor in (wood) and is talking about sanding it after install. No need to sand the fibergla$$.
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 5:37pm
I had to sand old glue and carpet backing that was stuck bad.the only thing I did to the floor is removed the front bildge access hole that some people have and fill it with a piece of wood & epoxy over that.I didn't see the use for it cause my pylon is removed.My floor was solid as a rock but I still coated it with west systems epoxy before laying carpet.I chose not to use the plastic trim , I like it better without if you do a good job in the corners IMO.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 5:51pm
Ah, now that makes sense. Removing the old glue and backing was not a fun job. After scraping as much off as I could, the best method I found was using acetone and a wire brush to remove the old glue. After that it came off with a rag.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '88 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 8:01pm
I have been gone for a few days.
My reply is for replys from a few posts back
Thank you for the dash info. I will use this to install my radio. Good idea.
Where are your speakers mounted? In the fibergla$$ sides or in the plywood under the fibergla$$ sides? I want to leave the fibergla$$ alone if possible..

TRBenj. on a 1988 2001, if you want a kneeboard or wakeboard wake, which prop should a guy buy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 12:49am
Here is where my speakers were installed. They were there when I bought the boat. I haven't taken them out yet so I don't know if Correct Craft planned this space for speakers or what. If I had to cut holes in my fibergla$$, I would opt for surface mount box speakers and mount them somewhere underneath where mine are mounted. If you plan on getting a subwoofer and power amp and you get good quality speekers, I think they would sound better than the 6x9's I have mounted.

Also as you can see, I need to repaint my control plate and refinish the knob. I saw a good post on refinishing the knob using a bolt with the head cut off and threading the knob to the bolt and placing the bolt in a drill press. Then sanding at high speed. This is one of my winter projects.

Also thanks for the info on carpeting. This site is so cool because I feel no matter what repairs I do on the boat, I'm not going in blind. It would be nice to have a shop manual, but I think this is just as good.
Kurt

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 7:55am
88, do a search on here for 540 and 542. Those are the 2 props you will want to consider.

As far as a shop manual goes, trust me- this site is much better!
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 8:43am
I got a brand new shiny wood knob at skidim.com for 16.00.I got the old one off while it was in nuetral with vise gribs & a steady hand on the lever so it doesn't snap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic