NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ford 351w compression

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
straylight View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ford 351w compression
    Posted: October-22-2006 at 8:39am
Hi all,

can anyone help me out with some data about the ford 351w engine. Especially what would be considered as "good" when doing a compression test?

TIA,
Tom
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 9:05am
Hi Tom, I'm a newbie at all this, so take my opinion for what it's worth... about 2 cents! ;o)

I believe you'd want to see numbers somewhere around 150 depending on how tired the motor is. But the most important thing is the range of numbers you get across all 8 cylinders.

There is a good thread regarding how to do a proper test... so you could do a search.

HTH

Joe
straylight View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 9:20am
Hi Joe,
Originally posted by joed joed wrote:

I believe you'd want to see numbers somewhere around 150 depending on how tired the motor is. But the most important thing is the range of numbers you get across all 8 cylinders.
Joe

thanks for your answer. I know that the most important part is the difference - or the lack of it - between the cylinders. What i don't know ist the right compression. The current automotive engines i know of should better be above or around 160psi. The owner told me that he measured the compression two month ago and got around 120psi on each cylinder which was good with this engine. I have no clue if that is true (that it is good). The block was replaced a year ago with a redone one, but the old heads were reused.

Any more input?
TIA,
Tom
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 9:52am
Tom here's the link to my results. I have a 1986 Ski Eliminator with the original 351W with 400 hours.

My Compression

The variable would be how the PO performed the test... pull all plugs, engine hot/cold, fully charged battery, etc. Did those numbers come from him or a reputable shop?

I'm sure some of the "CC God's" will chime in.

Joe
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 10:20am
pull the coil wire and crank the engine over three compression strokes for each cylinder and write down the results, you can have the plugs in or out in the other cylinders doesn't make much differnce, the important thing is the number of compression strokes the gauge sees.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 11:33am
did someone forget to add the throttle plated @ WOT,you will get a more accurate reading from cyl. to cyl. with the throttle plates open........... boat dr

i look for consistancy rather than the actual numbers,guages are not real accurate,my Snap On reads 15lbs. higher than a Matco of the same design.

as you test each cyl. listen to the carb,a leaky intake valve will hiss thru the air horn..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic