NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'94 Pro Boss coil pack 'firing order'

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '94 Pro Boss coil pack 'firing order'
    Posted: February-03-2022 at 6:11pm
Okay, I swear I didn't touch them! 
But something is amiss as I try to start '94 Pro Boss 351.  (which ran previously so something I did)
I have the engine firing order, etc, but what I DON'T have is the order of the plug wires on the coil pack (although I haven't touched this).
But without that I don't know how else to prove the firing order.
If that makes sense......Wacko

I may have the 'distributor' off, although I marked it very carefully. I can always go back to TDC ignition on the #1 valve train and verify that I'm not 180 out...

But first up is to verify the spark plug wires....

Thanks
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2022 at 6:33pm
There are manuals in the ref section that should include the numbering of the coil packs to make sure you attached the plug wires correctly.

If you didn’t touch them, I’d be taking a very close look at the distributor base/trigger to see if it’s pointing in the right direction (sounds like that was out?).
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2022 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

There are manuals in the ref section that should include the numbering of the coil packs to make sure you attached the plug wires correctly.

If you didn’t touch them, I’d be taking a very close look at the distributor base/trigger to see if it’s pointing in the right direction (sounds like that was out?).

Thanks. I did look there but didn't see what I'm after.
So, I didn't remove the wires from the coil pack, and I assume since it did run before that they are ok.
What I question is my marking of the spark plug-end of the wires-did I get that right? I was only on my third beer, so........

And I made marks all over the trigger, and they are all ok. 
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2022 at 7:39pm
Click on the link below and your question will be answered in a picture posted by TRB Wink

link
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2022 at 9:18pm
Perfect. Thanks! (both)

Sometimes irony can be pretty ironic...

1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2022 at 12:46am
So thanks for the image in the link I was able to confirm that my spark plug wires are as they should be. 

Tomorrow I'll find mechanical TDC and verify what I can from that....
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2022 at 5:31pm

OK...update.
Question: there are 8 'tangs' that I'm assuming represent each cylinder. How can I identify which is #1? 

What I've done: connected my timing light to #1 cylinder. Have disconnected all other (correctly marked btw) plug wires and removed all plugs except #1. I can see that as I crank the engine the timing light fires more than once per trigger rotation. This confuses me.

Backstory: This motor ran when I bought the boat last fall. However, the leaks and generally horrible appearance of engine and bilge, I pulled it out, cleaned and re-sealed. Since it was out, I went ahead and popped on some Edelbrock Performer heads and intake that I had. Did my crank-water pump mod. I carefully marked everything that moved before deconstruction, all while the engine was set to TDC firing. 

But as I try and get it to run, it pops through the carb suggesting timing issues.  I just need a way to confirm that #1 is firing at the right time. Scratching my head.....
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2022 at 6:27pm
Wait a tick.....

The top of the 'trigger wheel' has "F-1" stamped in it....could it be?........
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2022 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Wait a tick.....

The top of the 'trigger wheel' has "F-1" stamped in it....could it be?........

Yes it could Wink That gets lined up with the sensor when #1 is at TDC  if I remember right.

You get multiple firings like you mentioned because the 4 protec coils have to fire 8 cylinders, so for example when it's time to fire plug #1, coil A fires both 1 and 6  and then when it's time for #6 to fire, both 1 and 6 fire again.

Same routine for coil B associated with plugs 5 and 3 and coil C associated with plugs 7 and 4 and coil D associated with plugs 8 and 2.

BTW here's a link to the manual that the coil diagram came from. It has protec info kinda scattered in a few spots.

It came from that "other website" and was once upon a tiime, here on CCF.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2022 at 8:29pm

Can't wait....Gonna try it right now...!!

1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2022 at 8:32pm
Yes, you do remember right.

Lined up-fired up. So much for my careful markings...Shocked

When new exhaust hose arrives/installed I'll post a running vid, then turn attention to the cosmetics....

Thanks again !!!
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic