Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 EFI starting issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Canuck-Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2022 at 1:28pm
Fuel rail pressure is 40 psi.
1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2022 at 11:46am
You should measure fuel pressure to help trouble shoot.  How old is LP pump?  It can be weak and still make noise. There is a screen inside the LP pump that you can inspect for debris. I would replace if pump is old..  LP is prone to failure at some point
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
Canuck-Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2022 at 11:21am
I know this is the 2nd GT40 staring issue, but mine is unrelated to TigerDyne's issue so I'm staring a new thread.

Background:
Newly rebuilt GT40 with 18 hours. 

Ran fine until last Friday (except for hard starts when engine was hot after sitting).

Saturday morning I went to crank it, it started immediately and ran for 5 seconds then died. Would sound like it would about to start when cranking but would not. 

Troubleshooting steps:
Drained FCC. Then turned ignition to prime. I DO hear LP pump prime and can then drain a full FCC. So the LP pump is working I believe.

INTERESTING NOTE: After draining and refilling FCC, the engine cranks and runs for about 4 seconds before dying again. Subsequent attempts do not start at all.

Ordered a HP pump from Skidim. Replaced this morning. Engine cranked again for 4 seconds and died. Was able to start it a second time for 4 seconds. But now it wont start at all. 

I have triple checked the Kill Switch and even placed a dime to ensure it is depressed. I have replaced both fuel relays. 

Last interesting note: If I press the schrader valve on the fuel rail immediately after starting, then a good squirt of gas comes out. But if I wait 10 mins after last cranking attempt, almost nothing comes out. Could the injectors be leaking and if so could they be suspect? Injectors were tested during rebuild and not replaced.

I'm at a loss about what to do next. I do have a spare LP fuel pump on the shelf, but I don't want to start randomly replacing parts unless it makes sense.

Gary, Ken, others, impart your deep wisdom on what you would do next!

(Also, I have a spare ECU as well. Could this smell of an ECU issue? I find it wierd that after draining and refilling FCC, that it always starts for a few seconds.)
1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic