NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Excalibur 330 misfire

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2022 at 11:36am
Just cleaned wheel and sensor inside the dizzy..no change
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2022 at 10:56am
Yes I have swapped #2 and #4. Tried different wires and plugs as well. Same symptoms
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2022 at 10:54am
Have you considered changing the bad cylinder plug wire with a known good plug wire?  Maybe swap the #7 and #8 and see if the problem goes with the wire.   Rule out the simple things first.
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2022 at 9:43am
Little background on the boat. I bought it from a coed summer camp, they purchased new and never took care of it. Just did bare minimum maintenance to keep it running all these years. Hull was badly oxidized and interior absolutely junk. So sad as it’s the 196 limited. I picked it up fairly cheap and got the gel looking almost new. Ran the three year old gas out of it, tuned it up until this point.
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2022 at 9:36am
Will try and clean up the internals today, I’ve had the same outcome with two caps and rotors. All looked clean in there but will not hurt to double check. Thanks for the suggestions!! We’ll get it eventually
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2022 at 9:27am
I think I'd be more inclined to look at the rest of the distributor internals for corrosion, rust etc. since the distributors job is to send the spark to individual cylinders and you only seem to have a problem with an individual cylinder.

Not much there besides the shutter wheel and the camshaft position sensor, but worth checking and cleaning the shutter wheel.

I might even try another new cap depending on the quality of the cap you just installed. The Vortec cap is known for misfire issues because of how it's constructed. 

At least you'll have a spare cap if nothing else Wink

steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2022 at 7:13am
My next step will be trying a new coil and ignition module
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2022 at 8:05pm
Yes, comes back in at wot. The boat is new to me
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2022 at 7:03pm
If it runs great at WOT, does that mean the cylinder starts firing again sometime above 3000 rpm or it's a great running V7 engine at full throttle?

Has it done this since you got the boat?, it sounds like it's new to you

steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2022 at 8:32am
Plugs are new, it did the same with old plug as well. Good point I overlooked on the injector. I have done cap and rotor, I too am note familiar on this engine as I’m coming from an 83 2001
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2022 at 8:22am
What about the spark plug? A bad injector would not make the spark go away. I am not familure with the Exc. dizzy?

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2022 at 11:32pm
No check engine light coming on either.
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2022 at 11:08pm
Hello, 2004 196 runs great at idle and wot. Around 3k rpms cylinder #4 stops firing. I found this by putting timing light on all the plug wires. All firing good except #4. I have replaced cap rotor and wires. Is it a clogged injector or ecm malfunction? Any info would be great!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic