Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oh No! Another Winterization Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oh No! Another Winterization Question
    Posted: October-29-2006 at 4:59pm
I know, I know, another winterization question, I'm sorry. Let me start by saying that this site is fantastic. I've never had a need to post until now, I always just found someone else who had already asked what I needed to know or was wondering, but I'm not having luck with this one. I've studied the manual, forums, and the guides and it's one, stupid thing that has me stumped. Here it goes:

I have an '87 SN2001 (new to me this spring). The boat is an absolute MONSTER; I’m completely in love with it. I did a very careful job winterizing it - as hard as I'm trying to find a heated garage, I haven't yet had an luck. I live in the Northeast and it gets pretty cold. Enough background, here's my problem:

I'm not sure where the transmission cooler drain plug is. I don't see any pics showing explicitly where it is (probably because it's so obvious). I'm figuring it’s the plug looking thing on top (see attached pic), but I can't get the darn thing to budge. I've cranked on it pretty hard, but before I kill myself on it, I want to make sure I'm concentrating my efforts in the right place. So here are my questions:

Where is the trans cooler drain plug?
What is the allen headed plug-looking thing on top and how to I remove it if it’s stuck pretty good (appears to have been painted over)?
What is the smaller plug-looking thing next to the larger one? This appears to me to be stripped.

Any and all help it appreciated. I try very hard not to post something if I can find the answer elsewhere, but this one's got me stumped (and the weather's gettin' cold!).

Thanks in advance.

Another newbie,

Paul
ccskier16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccskier16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 5:28pm
Not sure if an 87 has a drain at the transmission oil cooler but here are two examples. One with a drain and one without.

1987SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 6:30pm
I have an 87 as well. On the previous post the top photo depicts the position of my transmission oil cooler. Looking at the photo you posted, follow that transmission fluid line and it will lead right to your transmission cooler. Good luck.

1987 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 7:09pm
If your cooler is mounted vertically, just pull the lower hose and it will drain out, if there's anything in there.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

If your cooler is mounted vertically, just pull the lower hose and it will drain out, if there's anything in there.

FYI, I used to do that and found out it seems to eventually pull the solder joint apart at that end from trying to get the hose off. I now use the plug.

Jeff...
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by 1987SN2001 1987SN2001 wrote:

On the previous post the top photo depicts the position of my transmission oil cooler.

Aw man, that's the cooler?!

I had concocted some idea in my head of how things work, but let me see if I now have this a little more straight. Trans fluid runs through the lines (part of which is pictured) to the cooler, which has raw water for cooling the engine pa$$ing through it. The temp of that raw water somehow cools the line with trans fluid, which is then cycled back to the trans?
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 10:07pm
I drained my 82 2001 last night.Yep ,first thing my water pick up hose pa$$es through after it enters the boat.The block drains look the same but a bit larger.They all came loose super easy ,but I might leave my manifold plugs alone & just pour in antifreeze through the hose.Dan
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 5:38pm
Pull your manifold plugs, get all that crap out of there.
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Pull your manifold plugs, get all that crap out of there.

I'm with Hollywood on this one. Once I found the manifold plugs and got 'em out, I was surpised at the crap that came out (and how much better I felt knowing it is now clean).
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 6:18pm
If your getting a lot of scale and chunks coming out of the ex manifolds then you need to keep an eye on them and replace them in the future if you keep seeing alot of crap coming out of them on a regular bases. Otherwise you be looking to replace the motor as well when it hydro locks down the road.
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

If your getting a lot of scale and chunks coming out of the ex manifolds then you need to keep an eye on them

Not so much scale, just dirt and crud, and really just on one side. I did run it in relatively shallow water several times this summer. I also run it in brackish water, so I usually run fresh water through after I pull it out. Now that I know where all the plugs are, I a$$ume it would be even wiser to pull the block and manifold drains and flush everything on a regular basis.

Thanks for the feedback, anything else?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2006 at 7:35am
tip of the day, I know alot of you guys know this, but on the picture with the cooler where the fitting mounts, it has another nut like area on the cooler so when you remove or install the fitting you use 2 wrenches, one on the fitting and one on the cooler. the only reason i bring this up is because i see more fittings bent and coolers leaking because guys will only use one wrench on the fitting and bend it causing it to leak eric note: that also includes the drain plug
"the things you own will start to own you"
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:10pm
79, I always get a lot of rust when I pull my manifold drain plugs. I put the quick drain valves on last year and obviously they didn't drain this fall due to being plugged with rust and crap. You said that if a person keeps getting crud or rust in the manifolds you were in big trouble. Mine has always been this way. Am I in deep crap or what? I do have evidence of leaky gaskets on my risers (the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the "riser"). I am just becoming aware that there is an important gasket in there and probably needs to be replaced every few years. I didn't know this until August.

But what is the potential problems inside there? What major damage is going to occur? If I am seeing evidence of rust when I pull the plugs, do I need to buy new risers or what? Guess I need to start budgeting for that huh?

Thanks for the advise!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 10:31am
If your manifolds are aluminum, the rust is from the engine. Leave lake water in the block for a month or two and then run it on a garden hose and you'll see alot of rusty water come out when the t-stat opens. Mine has a cast iron intake which is rusty on the inside.
Tim D
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 10:50am
Mine have to be the cast iron. Always rusty.
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 12:20pm
you don't need to replace the risers just the exhaust manifolds and then take the risers to a machine shop and have them dipped/cleaned. If you are see rusty colored water that's not as bad but if you are getting chunks of rust then thats the manifolds rusting out on you and eventually it will rust through and you will get water into the cyclinders and hydrolock the motor.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic