Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rear seat access gas springs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Skialot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skialot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear seat access gas springs
    Posted: October-01-2023 at 11:37am
I get a lot from this forum and appreciate the wide range of knowledge and detailed discussions but I’m struggling to find the answer to this.
I have a 2000 196 SNCB with a rear storage access over the gas tank. Rear seat back lifts up. It is missing the gas springs that hold it up and I’ve been using a 2x4. From what I have found online it looks like a 17.2in spring is required but after trying one I don’t see how it can work. It’s too long and the spring cannot be compressed enough to attach it. The distance between the two ball stud supports is 14in when the seat back is fully extended so I would think the length should be about 14in. If someone is familiar with this or has a functioning rear seat back access could you take a look at the springs and let me know what size (length and pressure) they are. Thanks, any guidance is appreciated.
2000 SN
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2023 at 1:05pm
I will share when I bought my boat it had been sitting in a garage for 20 years without use.   All of my gas shocks were dead also.   I went on line and purchased them by length needed.   As I recall some had stronger lift rates and you could chose X # of pounds of lift.   My engine cover lift shocks are a little bit strong.  It takes a firm hand to get it to close.   I think you will need the approximate length for your shock both open and closed to order.   
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2023 at 3:25pm
You've got it right, if max distance is 14" when open you need a spring 14" long when extended.  Try to get the dimension when closed, I know it's an estimate but if you use a tape and get the number when almost closed you can come pretty close.  I looked at my Sport Nautique trunk, has dual shocks and I think that 17" you found it what I have, around 9-10" closed.  So you just need a smaller version, should be easy to find.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2023 at 3:34pm
This would be my guess, but it doesn't show closed dimensions.

I'd give them a call to confirm, but from their description I think it will fit.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic