Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I'm just a poor boy, from a poor family... (Tow Ve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I'm just a poor boy, from a poor family... (Tow Ve

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkipGundlach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkipGundlach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm just a poor boy, from a poor family... (Tow Ve
    Posted: March-12-2024 at 7:55pm

We have a 2002 boat under contract - and nothing to tow it with.  It will require a, barely (~4500#), Class 3 hitch capable (ideally outfitted that way from the factory) vehicle, and the Admiral wants it to be mechanically reliable.  It mostly will be used to run to the gas station (no nearby marina on the lake, even if I were willing to pay another buck a gallon), with the occasional road trip.

We MAY bite the bullet and go to 5 figures - but it's distinctly not a preference.  I'm giving up a 100K miles 2005 Town and Country extended Stow-and-Go van in perfect condition in order to make this happen.

Just for conversation's sake, if you had $7500 as your budget, Van, SUV, extended-cab pickup all ok:  Year unimportant, so long as it could document reliability, and already had a Class 3 hitch system (electrical, transmission, radiator suited to the job) installed, what would you look for which would easily manage that load and, ideally, a few passengers?  All things considered, quieter is better, but I don't want my begs to get in the way of the askit ☺

Thanks so much for the hive mind.

L8R

Skip

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2024 at 11:19pm
I still tow most of the time with a 2003 Yukon, same as a Tahoe, has the 5.3L engine and 4 speed automatic.  Not a gas miser, but tows just fine, I have towed up to 7,500 with it but usually only tow my boat 4,000 pounds max and it does it easily.  I have the 3.73 rear axle gears.
Previously I had a Tahoe with 4.11 gears and it actually liked towing much better but either way power is good.
What I like about it is the option to seat as many as 8 people when needed.  The seats fold down for hauling most anything and once loaded you can close the doors and lock it.

Not sure I would like hauling gasoline inside the car, the fumes may take you out.
Running empty. With no trailer you can get 18MPG at 70 mph.   Towing it will be between 10 and 14 mpg depending on what terrain you are facing.

The newer versions have 6 or more gears, a little more HP and steer better but the price goes up.   They are pretty reliable up to 140,000 miles when a few common issues might come up that cost money to fix.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2024 at 6:14am
Skip, I've got a 99 SN that I've pulled with a 2000 Dodge Durango (with a 4.7) to TN and FL. with NO issues. Drug a 88'SN for years with the same tug to NC, TN and FL for years with no issues. It is 4WD so that in itself has helped tremendously especially on wet ramps. It's got 203K miles on it and its still going strong. Gets poopie gas mileage towing the boat at a whooping 10-13MPG but its the price you pay for dragging a boat everywhere. 18 if I'm lucky when not pulling a trailer. Living on Lanier I also use it to carry Gas Cans as it's saved a ton of $$ in fuel for the boat vs buying marina gas. Using a cargo carrier in the receiver is the way to go for a gas hauler. I bought a 15 gallon roll around can and the cargo carrier is the ONLY way to go with such a huge can. Don't feel you have to drop big $$ on a Boat tug. For what you wanna  use it for, You should be able to find one I'd think for under 10k.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2024 at 7:28am
I’m with Morfoot on the 5.3. We have had 3 Yukon Xl’s. The first 2 were sold with 250k plus miles on them. We had no major problems other than rust from road salt in Mi. There are lots of 5.3s out there for under $10k. Check for Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Suburban or Yukon.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2024 at 7:30am
Correction MrMcD.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2024 at 8:33am
I used a 2011 or 12 Dodge Dakota pickup for 10 years or so to pull my 1986 nautique with no issues.  Might be a bit tight for four people.  Worked fine when the kids where smaller but when they where in their late teens they started looking a bit squished in the back seat.  

I second the Dodge Durango, borrowed my sister's (roughly a 2010) to pull the boat from Maryland to New Hampshire and back to ski on a lake for a week.  Also no issues.
Builder
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2024 at 8:41am
I have a 2005 Jeep Commander with a HEMI and it is rated at 8000 LBS.  She is full-time four-wheel drive and sucks mid-grade gas like no other but tows like a dream.  She has 205K on the clock. Probably worth $5K on the used market.  My guess. 
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2024 at 12:10pm
I drove a Ford Exploder for many years. German made 4.0 V6 pulled my Ski Nautique just fine.  Didn’t win any races but it worked.  My son is now driving it with 200K + on the odo.  Zillions of those around and in your budget range.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2024 at 10:51am
I have the same mopar 4.7 as Tim has in the Durango in a Jeep Liberty 06.  It has 200K and it is not my primary tow vehicle, but tows with ease.  You probably want the size of the Durango or the Dakota more than a Liberty though.  It does require some periodic wrenching but at 200K its is still running strong.  
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2024 at 11:06am
Though I don't have them any more, I had several Durango's and it's a great option for a cheap SUV with a lot of capability.  4.7 was excellent for me, and the older 5.2 or 5.9 are fine and last forever.

Bottom line is, you can easily find what you want, choose SUV or pickup and find one in decent running order.  Personally, and along the lines of the above posts, I'd opt for GM 5.3 or Mopar 5.2, 5.9, 4.7 power and go from there.  I'm not a fan of Ford 5.4 and if you see GM trucks with 4.8 the engine is fine but transmissions don't hold up well.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2024 at 5:05pm
Scratch what I wrote, mine is a 3.7 - not a 4.7.  It tows easily but there is no replacement for displacement right :)
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2024 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

Scratch what I wrote, mine is a 3.7 - not a 4.7.  It tows easily but there is no replacement for displacement right :)

I read your post and thought to myself, I don't think they ever had a 4.7 in a Liberty, but figured I missed it.  That would have been fun!  My Liberty was a diesel, amazing tow vehicle given what it was, but no way you want one of those at this point.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Live2fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2024 at 3:26am
A Tahoe would be a great vehicle in your budget

Depending on where you are you can pick up a 07-14 for around your budget and if you can find one with under 140k miles you should have a good car for a long time.

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2024 at 3:55am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Skip, I've got a 99 SN that I've pulled with a 2000 Dodge Durango (with a 4.7) to TN and FL. with NO issues. Drug a 88'SN for years with the same tug to NC, TN and FL for years with no issues. It is 4WD so that in itself has helped tremendously especially on wet ramps. It's got 203K miles on it and its still going strong. Gets poopie gas mileage towing the boat at a whooping 10-13MPG but its the price you pay for dragging a boat everywhere. 18 if I'm lucky when not pulling a trailer. Living on Lanier I also use it to carry Gas Cans as it's saved a ton of $$ in fuel for the boat vs buying marina gas. Using a cargo carrier in the receiver is the way to go for a gas hauler. I bought a 15 gallon roll around can and the cargo carrier is the ONLY way to go with such a huge can. Don't feel you have to drop big $$ on a Boat tug. For what you wanna  use it for, You should be able to find one I'd think for under 10k.

I confirm Morfoot's story, cause he even drug a Belgian and his wife to TN with the 99 behind it. 
That Durango will last forever if you ask me LOL

Here in Belgium, I tow my '89 with a BMW E61 525D. The Beemer is twenty years old and has 520K kilometres (over 323K miles) and still keeps going.
Mileage per gallon is also poor when pulling the boat, even as a diesel.

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2024 at 9:18am
Maybe it's just me or maybe what my dad has taught me but I think I would have bought my towing vehicle first if I new what size boat I was looking for.....  
blue&white View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue&white Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2024 at 11:42am
Gx470 - I got a 03 with 170k miles for 7500 - and it tows my 1980 sn just fine. There is a factory tow hitch option. And its all wheel drive - so if your of a slick ramp it’ll crawl out like a champ - issues you will likely eventually face: rear air suspension delete (easy job to swap to springs). Just my .02 - enjoy!
ZAC
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2024 at 3:00pm
My wife has a BMW X5 with the 4.8L V8, it tows very well, has huge brakes and plenty of pulling power.  But when I tow I always grab out old Yukon, it just feels stable towing the Nautique.  Even on 100+* days it has never heated up at all while towing.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2024 at 6:10pm
Find yourself a clean early 2000's suburban. they are the best economical tow vehicle on the market. though dont let economical confuse as they do drink the gogo juice, one can usually find a clean one for around $10K.
I paid $6k for mine, 8.1 liter gets 9 miles per gallon with or with out a boat. jump out on the interstate and run 90 mph all day long..mine was a government rig 2500, lockers and a little lift. BEAST..
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic